Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Space Pirate (Feb 2017 demo available)

Bombini

Thanks a lot guys!
I also prefer number 1.
I really like your ideas iii! I will play around with that. Thanks!

So how did i do test2?
My math skills are low and i am struggeling using raycasting. I used a very simple and stupid idea how to realize it. The player is firing actors when moving. Those actors move and remove tiles which are on the "fog layer" (in this case layer 1).

Please dont laugh but i wanted to do a quick test and performenace is good (see code attached).
Cheers!

merrak

Test 1 seems like the best fit to me, too. Somehow the raycasting approach didn't seem right.

I like the quick test :D. I don't think it is as far removed from the real thing as you might be thinking, but I wouldn't use either in a tile based game. If you were to do something like Test 2, I'd use Bresenham's line algorithm, which can be implemented using the Tile API and is far simpler and quicker than raycasting.

Crovaxus17

So how did i do test2?
My math skills are low and i am struggeling using raycasting. I used a very simple and stupid idea how to realize it. The player is firing actors when moving. Those actors move and remove tiles which are on the "fog layer" (in this case layer 1).

Please dont laugh but i wanted to do a quick test and performenace is good (see code attached).

No mockery here! I too am not great at math. I like your quick solution! Thanks for sharing.

@merrak
Bresenham's line algorithm, huh? I'll check it out. Thanks!

Bombini

Me to Merrak thanks!

Bombini

Hi guys,

see below a recording of the final dialogue system  and the room uncover system in action.
Cheers!

Crovaxus17

I love it. I really like what you are doing with these lo-res graphics. Looks great!

Bombini

Thanks!
I am happy how it turns out...also i realized that i am able to do pixel art all of a sudden i like (even though its super simple) ;)
Try the level if you want: http://mabafu.com/spacepirate/Goldpace440.zip
(i will take it off soon)
Cheers!