Space Pirate

xplosion28

Game looks amazing as always, and I'd probably choose 1 or 3.

NickamonPoppytail

RIP Pirate Wray
April 2002-September 2018

Bombini

Thanks for the input. I will go with 3 and might at a deco for free once in a while depending how much time i have.
Cheers!

merrak

Intro looks great!

I have the same opinion as JeffreyDriver. Decorations would be a neat addition, but that seems like something that would be more worthwhile once everything else was maxed.

Bombini

Thanks dor the input!
Here is the feature in a form i am happy with.
Check out the video:

Bombini

Are you recognizing the planet in the background?
I wonder if the game will take you there ;)

Doesnt the intro tell us that this planet is dying?

Bombini

Hola Space Pirateros!

I spent my time imrpoving performance and fixing the gamepad setup and controls.
Here is how it works:

And here is how i implemented it:

Finally works smooth with all tested gamepads.
Cheers!

domagojbulat

Wow, thanks for sharing, this is very valuable information!
By the way, on this screen you probably don’t have too many things going on, so I guess no need for further optimization. But if this code was somewhere you’d need to be careful, I would recommend using “else if” instead of “if” blocks. I think with “else if”, when condition is matched, the code stops investigating other options so it runs easier.

Bombini

Thanks!
I tested ot with 4 different controllers/gamepads (including xbox) and it works.
There is no way for Stencyl to automatically detect the gampad. Thats why this approach.

Reg the ifs. You are right but i was just lazy on this screen ;)
Cheers!

Bombini

Hôla,
I am currently going through all levels, testing and finetuning after spending almost 2 weeks on improving perfromance.
Adding enemies and secrets here and there to have a fun experience.

I am also exploring new color palettes for planets (i have currently 3 different planets in the game):

Stay tuned!"

Bombini

Hey guys,

i am slowly getting back to the starmap which you will be using after the third story mission.
I still sketching things out but its interesting how it had been evolved over the years.

Only talking about the UI:

• Picture: A 4:3 ratio with fuel as a feature, ship health and not yet defined upgrade slots to...
  • Picture: a more defined upgrade slots (in this case different shields for different nebulas) with a meta progression display (the cards in this case)...to...
  • Picture: a new ratio 16:9 with fuel and ship health. The ship health was harmed when you were out of fuel and there is a credits display..to...
  • Picture: ...my current thinking displaying a ship core which is important for story, ship health and one upgrade which is a shield. On Top displaying the next story goal.

I think fuel has been a feature which has been most controversial for me. Collecting fuels in levels using it in the starmap is a nice feature which ties both elements together but...it is not fun to run out of it. It got better when i introduced running out of fuel still keeps you moving but costs one health a move but it did not solve the issue that you died a lot on the map because of no fuel. In the end i will delete the feature and focus rather on the exploring of the map. Adding a lot to discover.

I will use nebulars though to make areas more difficult to enter costing health if no shield is installed and so on.
Cheers!

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 06:27:31 am by Bombini »

Bombini

Hi folks,
i embedded the current thinking and i am quite happy with it.
Let me explain:

Eneryg core: (the golden battery shaped thingy on the left lower part of the UI)
  • Energy cores (which are essential for every ship) have now an "energy meter"
  • Moving costs a bit of it. Its not a fuel feature in this sense because it is much more forgiving but it supports the narartive and creates a nice feeling of urgency wihtout beeing too punihsing
  • You will find new energy cores in the missions and its unlikely you run out of energy if you play a bit smart
Damage:
  • I removed ship health completly but there are still factors like space nebulas which can affect/damage the ship.
  • Damage can happen for example through space nebulas. There are two different space nebula types (blue and green) which harm "normal" and "a lot". I need those for map design, oacing control and to make the map more interesting in general.
  • Damage will bascially drain the core energy. This can create nicew decision moments. Do i fly around or though the nebula? Do i still have enough energy for it? How do i get a new core?
Other features:
  • There is a sensor you can buy (right next to the shield in the UI). It increases the view to uncover more fog when moving.
  • The top UI will show the current story goal.
  • And there will be a lot hidden, moving and also hostile stuff on the map.
I wanted to change the map from a pure "menu" to a playful and meaningful part of the game. So far i am happy.
Here a small demo "cheating/activating" the shields and sensor. You would have to buy them in a shop.
And i still think that i have to show the shields also on the ship and not only in th UI.

Bombini

Hi guys,

i need your help please.
The player gets dialogues and there for context what to do next always from one dialogue before each mission. The NPC has this speech bubble above his/her head before triggering the dialogue:

Each main NPC has up to 7 additional dialogues which are about the characters of the NPCs (not the mission objective). Those dialogues are not madatory, shown depending on level and sequence.

My question: Should they have a different speech bubble? and if yes what kind? Are you assoicating any logo with it? Or just a different color?

Please let me know!

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 07:16:50 am by Bombini »