SocioPath - not just a game

duud

UPDATE: Now you can play the demo on your own: http://www.kongregate.com/games/maniacmario/sociopath-demo

Hi guys, me and my small team have been working on our first game SocioPath (or, as we currently like to call it, "interactive story") for some time now and although we still have quite a lot to do (part of it is to implement pure gameplay sections), we decided to show the project to the public. Due to its size, we've recorded in-game footage instead of uploading it on sites like Kongregate or Newgrounds, but we hope that you will be able to assess at least the visual and audio side of the game as well as the general concept. Please be honest and straightforward - we're wondering if we should carry on with this project, develop it to a fully-fledged experience or just abandon it and focus on something different.

http://youtu.be/Oa9B6b6A2uE

If somebody would like to play it through on his own, let us know, we can send an .swf file to be opened in a browser. Any feedback will be highly appreciated - we're just starting doing this stuff guys, we need your opinion!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 04:44:01 am by duud »
I am currently working on SocioPath, an interactive experience about the existence of a contemporary man. You can play a demo on http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/sociopath/33079/

acarnivorousocean

This looks great so far!  Reminds me of Heavy Rain, one of my favorite games.  Some of the tasks in Heavy Rain seem mundane, but I think it served to make you more emotionally invested in the characters.  I would not abandon SocioPath at this point  :)

henson802

Nice.. How you do the lighting effects?

lava flame2

I dont think you made this with stencyl...

duud

acarnivorousocean - Thanks, that's encouraging. And yes, we were definitely inspired by Heavy Rain, although it's a shame to admit that nobody from the team has never really played this game. :P

henson802 - They're just the looped animations set as foregrounds in scenes, not incredibly hard to do, although our artist tried to make it look attractive. The only problem is that it takes quite a lot of space.

lava flame2 - Why do you think so? Here is something to convince you:
I am currently working on SocioPath, an interactive experience about the existence of a contemporary man. You can play a demo on http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/sociopath/33079/

petersdream

I think you are a very talented group. The game looks amazing!
You can see that you put a lot of effort and cared for the details. Great job!

What I was thinking is what you already said, all those animations, backgrounds take a huge amount of space and if I remember well Stencyl has limited amount of Atlases. Do you think that your game could fit in Stencyl?

Again my congratulations, you did something incredible :)!
Indie Game developer (at night). Currently working on his dream game for iOS.
@petersdreamgame

colburt187

wow this is awesome,

i love the fact that half the youtube video is being stuck in traffic  :D

i give you big respect for this project, cant wait to see where the story leads!

keep up the good work and stay true to your game plan.

henson802

your game is dripping with style, really nicely done.. Love the lighting.. Simplicity but engaging , keep it up!

Blob

I commend you for setting out to make something like this, but nothing in the video really sells this as either a game or an interactive story (or even just a story). The opening is also a borderline rendition of the Heavy Rain opening (Which I'd consider an example of slow/quiet interactivity done well), that along with the dark tone of the game's title alluding to what might be a mirroring of Heavy Rain's grim aesthetic gives me a bad impression. I'll give you the beneficial assumption that the game becomes more robust after the introductions, but if that's the case it'd be a good idea to show that off instead.

I hope none of this is seen as offensive because I appreciate what's being attempted here.

pyxelbit

looks really interesting. but is it possible that its inspired by "every day the same dream"?

MiscEtc

I don't think anyone has done something like this with Stencyl before; seems pretty ambitious. As far as whether or not it's a good "interactive story" and something that you should move forward with, well, I'd need to play a demo before a could give any useful opinion there.

If you send me a demo I'd be happy to give you my feedback on it.

duud

petersdream - Thanks, that's very nice of you! We're struggling with Stencyl's limitations practically all the time, it is overloading and we can't upload the game on the Stencyl Arcade, but we are determined to finish this project using Stencyl. It would be great if we could show with SocioPath that Stencyl isn't just a tool for simple pixel art games.

colburt187 - Thank you! Do you really think that the traffic jam scene is of proper length? Some people tell us it's too long, but we really wanted to evoke the feeling of boredom and frustration in a player, just like in real life.

henson802 - We've got really talented artist, that's how I can respond. :)

Blob - Thanks for the constructive criticism! We didn't really want to reflect any game, as I mentioned, I didn't even play Heavy Rain, but if somebody would like to treat SocioPath as 2D equivalent of David Cage's game, then we're OK with that. The later part, which is supposed to be more focused on gameplay, should be more unexpected, I hope you will be pleasently surprised by how it unravels.

pyxelbit - Yeah, Every Day The Same Dream was definitely one of our inspirations. That't great to know that we're not the only ones who know and appreciate that game.

MiscEtc - Fantastic, we will be happy to send you a playable version. Now we're just working on reducing the size of the game, maybe we will be able to upload it on the web, then everybody will be able to try it on his own.

colburt187

colburt187 - Thank you! Do you really think that the traffic jam scene is of proper length? Some people tell us it's too long, but we really wanted to evoke the feeling of boredom and frustration in a player, just like in real life.

if anything id say it wasn't long enough :P
but then I'm one of this people who stop at traffic lights in GTA and always park my car neatly in carparks when going to the amunaiton shops.

It will be like a filter, anyone who doesn't have the patience to get past that scene isn't going to appreciate the game anyway,

no point making it shorter for people who are complaining it takes to long as they have already missed the point.

thats just my opinion of course.

duud

Ok dear Stencylers,
We finally managed to publish a demo. You can find it here http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/24160 As before, any opinion will be highly appreciated! :)

MiscEtc

For some reason I can't play your game. It loads, shows the text asking me to put on headphones, and then- nothing. Just black.
 :(
Is it just me, or has anyone else had this issue?

(edit: spelling fix. I spelled your as you're.)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:00:44 am by MiscEtc »