Tutorial - Flappy Bird Inspired Infinite Runner

darthwilson

Hey guys

I had a thought of how easy it would be to remake a simple game like Flappy Bird using Stencyl. So I decided to screen record a tutorial for anyone interested in watching it..

If people do enjoy it I will make more videos and most definitely change some mechanics.. (I don't want to clone a game) although I do want to show people just how easy it is to make games..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6GYqy8kyr4

irock

This is my ticket to Moneyville!!!!

GeorgeN

Making advertising for stencyl is not a bad thing for sure. And also making tutorials for others so thank you :)

darthwilson

Ahhh I'm never in it for money... Well I do have an indie startup ;)

But I just made it for people starting out game development! Hopefully soon I will do another to finish the game off!

Thanks folks for your kind words  :)

Hectate

How to make Flappy Bird clones:
1. Pick an adverb.
2. Pick a noun; animals preferred.
3. Watch video.
4.????
5. Profit!
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

gfalcaor

Anyone willing to create a "Flappy Bird" Clone will miserably fail.

The fever comes for the "original" one.
Even if its not that original (been done before years ago).

The copycats usually fail.

It did happen a lot with Angry Birds and also with a lot of successful endless runners.

I do believe there's some timing on mobile games...
there are times for Endless Runner success.
Then it goes...
and just after that a Tower Defense appears and makes a huge success.
Then it goes...
and just after that a Puzzle appears and makes a huge success.
Then it goes...
I dont know, but I do think there are some kind of "style of game" mood flow there.

Everyone willing to compete / clone the success will not succeed.
Name one game that made success after Candy Crush!

Before Candy Crush we had a few (bejeweled for instance).
But they did not come just after each other.
Bejeweled came, made a huge success. Nobody could clone it. But a lot did try.
Then, years later, when the puzzle fever had passed, it came Candy Crush. Same thing... a lot of clones with no success.

This Endless Runner (Flappy Bird). Its a huge success.
But the previously Endless Runner that made it came up years ago... right?
JetPack Joyride.
And before JetPack???
Canabalt?
They do have years of difference between them.

I do believe that you cannot make success by trying to flow the actual trend.
Players do not follow / download copycats.

Try something "original" now... Then, wait for a year or two and then you may hit a success with another endless runner.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 06:12:03 am by gfalcaor »

Follow Me

henson802

This is true Gfalc.. but it's also 'trending' now and many people want that fix. 

I doubt any clones will get half as much success.. but if it's good enough with a different twist (I have an idea I'm try to do in a week)..  it -may- do good enough.. as long as it's free - people are willing to try- and if it's addictingly simple, then who knows.  But it needs to do more then just a straight clone for sure, and still be appealing

GeorgeN

This is true Gfalc.. but it's also 'trending' now and many people want that fix. 

I doubt any clones will get half as much success.. but if it's good enough with a different twist (I have an idea I'm try to do in a week)..  it -may- do good enough.. as long as it's free - people are willing to try- and if it's addictingly simple, then who knows.  But it needs to do more then just a straight clone for sure, and still be appealing

Top 3 charts in US are Flappy Bird clones. If they will stay there as much time as Flappy Bird or more it is called succes? :)

Nathbo

Just looked in Android market... 250+ flappy games

Yours ranked 181 and yours says only 5 downloads.. is that true ?

Again I am on the fence about making my own, probably the fad will be gone :S
Visit my Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/NathboGames

Twitter
@NathboGames

GeorgeN

Just looked in Android market... 250+ flappy games

Yours ranked 181 and yours says only 5 downloads.. is that true ?

Again I am on the fence about making my own, probably the fad will be gone :S

Keyword ranking is not about downloads necesarly. Its about Title and Description.

It has 9 downloads from the last Google report. Chartboost reports 120 installs.

Now the trend is hot. If you manage to rank well for "flappy" or "flappy bird". Well means first 10 spots then maybe you will have succes on some cash at least.

I made anyway for the lol of it not to chase some succes or something like that. Was a quick study exercise with short deadline on how to make an endless runner.

gfalcaor

Top 3 charts in US are Flappy Bird clones. If they will stay there as much time as Flappy Bird or more it is called succes? :)

Man... Top 50 is a success. =)
Top 3 is a huge success.

Dont get me wrong. I still think that clones are not valid. ;)

Maybe I am wrong.
But I really do believe that to achieve a high number of downloads / profit you must create something new.

Even a clone, but not on the same moment as one has been on top charts, but a clone on a different timing.

You are right.
As the guy above, who did correct me (again, I am open to new facts / ideas).

Maybe the trend will still go on.
Specially because the original (at the moment - Flappy Bird) was removed from Apple Store.
Being removed is a new scenario. People wants to try that feeling and cant. Maybe this actual moment is actually a perfect one for clones.

Who knows?

Follow Me

henson802

Well you will hear about my game in a week once Apple gets it.  I'm actually pretty excited about it but keeping my expectations low.

I wouldn't call it a clone per se as you aren't dodging obstacles.. but it's similar, really funny, and simple - addicting one touch controls. 

If Flappy Birds was still on App store, I wouldn't even make it.  But since it's been taken down, it kind of opens the door slightly more.  There's going to be plenty of copy and paste clones - but I think mine will be unique enough to stand out.  Stay tuned ;)

I think making it free will let the players give it an honest try.  And if it pulls them in after the first few seconds, you may get a snowball of sorts.  But if it's priced even at $0.99 - I would doubt people would even try it

Cheers

gfalcaor

Well you will hear about my game in a week once Apple gets it.  I'm actually pretty excited about it but keeping my expectations low.

I wouldn't call it a clone per se as you aren't dodging obstacles.. but it's similar, really funny, and simple - addicting one touch controls. 

If Flappy Birds was still on App store, I wouldn't even make it.  But since it's been taken down, it kind of opens the door slightly more.  There's going to be plenty of copy and paste clones - but I think mine will be unique enough to stand out.  Stay tuned ;)

I think making it free will let the players give it an honest try.  And if it pulls them in after the first few seconds, you may get a snowball of sorts.  But if it's priced even at $0.99 - I would doubt people would even try it

Cheers

Please share with us when its on Apple Store.
I will gladly download it to play! You made me curious. lol.

I agree with the 0.99 x free.
But I am willing to pay 0.99 for Vector. Great Endless Running game that seems like a Canabalt upgrade. Really cool.

Follow Me

cmac86

Hey guys

I had a thought of how easy it would be to remake a simple game like Flappy Bird using Stencyl. So I decided to screen record a tutorial for anyone interested in watching it..

If people do enjoy it I will make more videos and most definitely change some mechanics.. (I don't want to clone a game) although I do want to show people just how easy it is to make games..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6GYqy8kyr4

Well done on this mate. Great bit of info and help. Ive only started to create games myself with stencyl hope to learn alot more and maybe get some help if needed. cheers