Tutorial - Flappy Bird Inspired Infinite Runner

Yeah, it was a bloody brilliant video, iv added some stuff to it, like a sound on scoring, foreground, title screen etc, really want you to make one continuing with how to spawn the different obstacles each time, not just the one, and a high score function :) The work in progress is on my profile if anyone wants to have a look, Jungle Jetpack :)

gamegirlxl

Try something "original" now... Then, wait for a year or two and then you may hit a success with another endless runner.

I hope that means that I don't have to see another one of these games for at least 2 years.  I don't think the craze ever ended when the game was removed, though.  I respect that guy somewhat for removing the game from the app store.

I'm trying to avoid any games labeled "addicting" (especially by its devs) for now.  Every time I see "addicting", I replace it mentally with "contains meth".

Personally, I think that kits become the basis for mostly unoriginal ideas, because it's too easy just to change the sprites and be satisfied.  I also think that there's very little substance in the original game, and I challenge everyone to start making quality games.  I actually want ios (and its equivalents) to become real gaming devices, instead of a mockery.

Hectate

I'm trying to avoid any games labeled "addicting" (especially by its devs) for now.  Every time I see "addicting", I replace it mentally with "contains meth".
You know, the can let your browser do this for you automatically! For example, here is a Chrome plugin that changes occurrences of the popular buzzword "cloud" to "my butt".
http://imgur.com/gallery/YmtHLpu
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

gamegirlxl

You know, the can let your browser do this for you automatically! For example, here is a Chrome plugin that changes occurrences of the popular buzzword "cloud" to "my butt".
http://imgur.com/gallery/YmtHLpu

That's great, unless you get confused when someone actually said "my butt".  It works the same way as Adblock Plus, which is fantastic.

Also, I'm referring to the app store's games, and there's no app for opening up other apps.  Luckily I only get "free" apps, and I disabled IAP for myself because I don't plan on linking payment to my account, although rejected IAP messages frequently crash games ???  :-\  .  Sometimes I'll disconnect from the internet so that I don't get ads (which doesn't work in online only games or ones with ads saved as part of the game).  It's probably a good thing that I'm trying to stop myself.

darthwilson

For anyone interested I have put up a 2nd and final video! I added a little feature were the longer you play the quicker the obstacles come at you ;)

Thanks folks

http://youtu.be/AnmP-cgErQI

carlsandoval

Hello Darthwilson,

thanks for the tutorial, I am having an issue though.

When the retry level box appears and I reload the level, the level loads up again no problem, only the first obstacle loads though and no more of them load, i can crash and reload the level as many times as i want after the first time but only the first obstacle loads, is there any way to fix this?  I have tried everything, for some reason i had to make the blue box and the retry button separate because it was not working correctly, even when I followed it your way to put the button in the box and it still gave me the same issue.

Is there any way you could maybe help me out, i'd be willing to add you on skype if you don't mind, i speak fluent english so there will be no comprehension issues, if not is there a way you could upload the tutorial to the stencylforge store?

Again thanks for the help and paddy jumper is really good!!

I have an update, when i set always > if > character 1 is in side region 0 > set dead to true > fade out 1 second reload and fade in for 1 second, the level reloads and all the obstacles load perfectly fine. For some reason it's the clicking of the retry button that is causing the obstacles to load only once and then no more when the level is restarted.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:53:05 pm by carlsandoval »