What kind of technical limits does Stencyl have?

MiscEtc

I hope this is the right place for this question.

I've been wondering- what are the technical limits of Stencyl (3.0)?

Obviously no one's going to be making a full 3d game or an mmo(at least not anytime soon), but could one, for example, recreate super mario world or zelda the four swords(not that anyone should go making clones, just as an example), or create a medium length rpg with a complex turn-based combat system, or an rts.

Obviously it wouldn't be easy, but the question is would any of those examples be possible?

mat0pad

Yes those things are possible.

UnrealCanine

So there's no scene size limits or # of scenes limit?

Edit: BTW, I believe no actor can travel faster than 200 units/sec

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:31:39 pm by UnrealCanine »

mat0pad

No I don't believe there is.
Scene size check this:
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,5857.msg37775.html#msg37775

I did not say there isn't any limitations. I said those things are possible which they are.

Alexin

Quote from: UnrealCanine
Why is that?
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

UnrealCanine

Quote from: UnrealCanine
Why is that?

Not sure, but if you set it that an actors y-speed is displayed then from them off an edge, gravity will only accelerate them to 200, less if they have any x-speed
I also found that removing a max speed cap and using forces to accelerate a character, they will only reach 200ups

P.S. at least in 2.2

teacherpeter

Stencyl doesn't have a particle system.

SadiQ

Stencyl doesn't have a particle system.
That's not a limitation. Particle systems are supposed to be added by the developer according to his own needs.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

teacherpeter

But the particle systems that you can create on your own as a beginner or intermediate user are less than efficient or impressive. Meanwhile, GM and C2 both have built in particle systems. I saw a post from the devs of Stencyl a while ago acknowledging that the lack of a particle system was a disadvantage and saying that they'd have one by 2013. I'm guessing it'll be in Stencyl 3.0.

Stencyl is amazing. Super fun to use. I'm not bashing, I just wanted to bring that up, because it is a consideration in my opinion.

Another thing, since Stencyl is based in flash, flash exports (and maybe all desktop exports) currently do not support joysticks as far as I know. I could be wrong there, and if I am I hope someone corrects me. I believe Stencyl 3.0 will feature joystick support, so it's not really a big deal anyway.

GeorgeN

But the particle systems that you can create on your own as a beginner or intermediate user are less than efficient or impressive. Meanwhile, GM and C2 both have built in particle systems. I saw a post from the devs of Stencyl a while ago acknowledging that the lack of a particle system was a disadvantage and saying that they'd have one by 2013. I'm guessing it'll be in Stencyl 3.0.

Stencyl is amazing. Super fun to use. I'm not bashing, I just wanted to bring that up, because it is a consideration in my opinion.

Another thing, since Stencyl is based in flash, flash exports (and maybe all desktop exports) currently do not support joysticks as far as I know. I could be wrong there, and if I am I hope someone corrects me. I believe Stencyl 3.0 will feature joystick support, so it's not really a big deal anyway.

A  begginer who will be able to make a complex rpg or an rts will not fail on making a custom particle system.

gamegirlxl

I hope this is the right place for this question.

I've been wondering- what are the technical limits of Stencyl (3.0)?

Obviously no one's going to be making a full 3d game or an mmo(at least not anytime soon), but could one, for example, recreate super mario world or zelda the four swords(not that anyone should go making clones, just as an example), or create a medium length rpg with a complex turn-based combat system, or an rts.

Obviously it wouldn't be easy, but the question is would any of those examples be possible?

I was trying to do both 3D and multiplayer (not in the same project).  Although I've stopped working on 3D in Stencyl, if you found a way to map textures to polygons efficiently, you could have a 3D Stencyl game.

A MMO is completely possible, except you usually wouldn't usually do server side in Stencyl.  But you probably could do client side in Stencyl.

Anyways, if you can think of a "primitive" (and 2D, unless you want to make a 3D engine yourself) game system that has a certain type of game, it's probably reasonable to think that anyone with sufficient programming abilities can use Stencyl to create games in that genre.

The only thing stopping you is probably inexperience.  If you can't imagine how you would make the game, it's going to be very hard for you.

UnrealCanine

Sorry for bumping this, but since all animations and frames are made with PNG's, I think that forces a set limit with how many animations you can have before publishing (compared to swf, which can do more with less)

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:30:20 am by UnrealCanine »

MiscEtc

The question was asked primarily because I was curious if I would have to move away from Stencyl in the future if I were to make a game with a lot of content or one that was more complex. I'm not so concerned about built in features as I am with thing like this->
Sorry for bumping this, but since all animations and frames are made with PNG's, I think that forces a set limit with how many animations you can have before publishing (compared to swf, which can do more with less)
can anyone confirm or debunk this?

gamegirlxl

can anyone confirm or debunk this?

I think that you might have limitations per animation, but there are definitely ways around this.  If you decide to make each "animation" 1 frame, and string animations together, you can probably bypass any of those limitations.  I believe each animation is combined into a sprite sheet, which is where the limitation comes from.

You will find external limitations such as file limits, and many people haven't been able to use the Stencyl Arcade because they exceed a certain size (this may mostly be a problem with music, however undoubtedly, you might rack up large sizes with enough images).

I don't know if this is all applicable with 3.x...

UnrealCanine

I say this cause an older game of mine http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/598253 has 100 animations for the player character, some 1 frame, some more complex. As you can imagine, re-making it in Stencyl (or any raster-based game maker) will make the filesize shoot up.

If Stencyl could have swf-based actors, I would be a very happy man