Save data handling over cloud/server

Fraz

Hey all

I'm thinking of finally biting the bullet and purchasing Stencyl 3.0 for mobile publishing, there's only one thing I'm worried about.

I'm just wondering how shared data is handled. Let's say for instance I have a game that saves numbers to a list which then later calls these items as a ghost (for indirect player competition) and executes an action after X seconds depending on the item it's currently looking at in the list.

Could I/How would I go about saving/calling this data between machines? Say user 1 plays the game and saves and uploads his data to List1 on the cloud/server, I need to then call List1 on user 2's device.

I'm currently using Stencyl 2.0 (but will likely be upgrading to 3.0 in the next few months) and have only dabbled in mobile dev slightly so I apologize if this is a noobie question or is a 3.0 specific feature.

Cheers,
Fraz
     Google Play:

"Platform Panic!"          Platform Panic! Thread

Fraz

Nobody knows?

I'm not asking for specific code or anything, more just curious how well Stencyl handles this, if at all. Just looking for some insight from a mobile dev who may have come across something similar and could shed some light on the difficulties/challenges I may have with this.
Fraz
     Google Play:

"Platform Panic!"          Platform Panic! Thread

gamecorp

in 3.0 you have an extension that enables your savetocloud and server! also stencyl has already built in a form to set and connect your game to a virtual server! so yea it can be setup! dont know how to use it! but i`m sure its simple coding! never used it and never needed! but i may needing it soon! and if i manage to make the connection and save game files to a virtual machine with success will post a tutorial about it ! if there is none! but i think it should be! try google! if not forums! or ask support! they have to know! and they are very prompt and helpfull! always carefull with they buyers and users!
Selling Games in flash its like eating a Donut. Selling them In Mobile its like eating a Donut with Jetpack!.

gamegirlxl

in 3.0 you have an extension that enables your savetocloud and server! also stencyl has already built in a form to set and connect your game to a virtual server! so yea it can be setup! dont know how to use it! but i`m sure its simple coding! never used it and never needed! but i may needing it soon! and if i manage to make the connection and save game files to a virtual machine with success will post a tutorial about it ! if there is none! but i think it should be! try google! if not forums! or ask support! they have to know! and they are very prompt and helpfull! always carefull with they buyers and users!

So many exclamation points...

This answer is very confusing to me.  I don't know why you're calling servers virtual, because there's a room somewhere with lines of computers that hold data connected to the internet, some of which actually interpret and send responses to queries.  I think a simple database would suffice in this case, which means that you wouldn't have to worry programming a server side.  There's probably a specific server company that the extension is made for, although I may or may not know what it is.

And we ARE in a forum, in the ONE place that helps solve your problems, so why would you suggest that?

ofnature

A virtual server is a type of server configuration that a lot of people use.  It is called virtual because it actually a server that split into many servers, so you are not renting an entire server.  If you did not know that, you have a long way to go before you are using a server of any kind in your game.

csharporbflat

You will need to know a sever side language such as PHP or ASP, and SQL, MySQL or Oracle, PlSql, or any one of those to be able to actually store the data somewhere on the web.

+ you create an additional problem

I was think about doing this my self, for permanent in-app purchases. Such as unlocking a level, or power up or something. But then I realize that any time someone would want to play the game, they need to be connected to the internet. Not everybody has an always active connection on their mobile devices. Unless you plan on hosting the game in flash on kongregate or something. Then in that case it wont matter, and you will need a server set up anyway to host the game.

mdotedot

Hello Fraz,

The Nuggeta extension can be used to store and retrieve persistent data. There is a demonstration program for this mentioned here: Nuggeta Inventory System

Hope this helps.

Best regards from
M.E.
Hanging out in the Chat:  http://www.stencyl.com/chat/

Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

WarrenTierney

Is there any way to save game attributes on a server online?

Innes

Is there any way to save game attributes on a server online?

You can save pretty-much anything on a server, if you encode it correctly.

Follow this thread: http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,37221.msg210738.html
Visit www.TheStencylBook.com - the only published book for learning Stencyl.

WarrenTierney

Thanks man, this community is really good tool. I suppose the key word there is if I encode it correctly. One question, is it possible to code AS3 in the newest version of Stencyl? I want to use the Externalinterface function in AS3 in Stencyl, I know there is a Haxe code for this but I am not really good enough at changing the code. Basically I have the Externalinterface code in AS3. Also, if I get this working I would love to share!