Make my game more challenging

spinnerbox

Hey guys, I have this little cute game called Wonders in Math Land, http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/22553

I had some bright ideas about it but I am not a proffesional game designer although the idea and design were mine.

Any ideas how can I make my game more challenging and make the player want to play the game?

I think ordinary player just comes, plays one level and that's it :D

punkineo

Maybe it's that it's an abstruse type of game where those kinds of concepts aren't readily known? At least for me, geometry has never been my strong suit so when I tried it, the pictures started looking like things that confused me more. There's not a lot of context other than a find/match game. So it could be that people are only playing one level because it's too difficult to get immersed in it, rather than it's not too challenging?

Having said that, I really liked your mechanic of switching up the cards after a certain number of moves.

*edit: "aren't"

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:23:00 am by punkineo »

spinnerbox

Thank you.  I see now, I will make a patch with more simple cards, again from geometry, and of course I will remove some of them, since they are hard to draw as symbols. 

How can I draw point and line as symbol?!   :D

Thanks again!

SadiQ

There's a good reason those types of games use simpler images in the first place and not (complicated) geometrical shapes. And your choice of using and having MATH in it is a good reason why most kids won't touch your game beyond the first level (assuming they actually finish it).
Another thing you could change is the speed of your animation. Right now you force the player to wait too long for the cards to turn. You want your players to play and find all the matches as soon as possible yet the animation speed seems too slow in my opinion.
Difficulty is pretty high, even at the first level, so that is not good. Use fewer different cards to start and then add more as levels pass by.
Another issue is the loading time. I have a very fast internet connection on this computer and I got bored waiting for the game to load. Remove some images if you want to improve that.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

spinnerbox

Thanks, guys. According to your notes I made a patch. Try it here: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/22553

And let me know what you think.

And at first press reset button because the previous data may be saved so it might not work

SadiQ

Ì went back to using a VERY SLOW internet connection, and I only found out (after waiting for 10 minutes to load it) that your game displays a nice grass background on scene 1 and that's about it. It doesn't freeze as the console still works, but I just wasted 10 minutes for nothing heheh.
I'll probably try it on Friday as I have a different internet connection in weekends.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

SadiQ

I didn't see that last line in there when I read your previous post (probably because it wasn't there). Anyway, I won't reload your game now because of the time it takes to load (can't use the internet while it loads) :(

spinnerbox

Thanks for your fast responce. I removed 10 cards but even with that change it is still 6MB. Previosly was about 9.5MB :)
I am still with Stencyl 2. Perhaps the memory management will change with Stencyl 3

Take your time :)

SadiQ

File size is usually related to actors (number of frames and animations), backgrounds and sounds, and it's mostly the same in 3.0

spinnerbox

Ok, so guys do you think now the game is much more playable than before? I mean is the difficulty better?

Since it is hard to make it good for people of all age, is the difficulty appropriate for children at least?