project time (test levels!)

fillergames

As you know with my struggle on Stubby cat.  I realized you can't make a huge free roam collect-a-thon on Stencyl without major trouble and intelligent design, so I went with a simpler idea.

Well, I might as well post my planning. I'm not putting this on the game contest thingy, as it would take to long to create.

Time travel cats!

Story
A war happened in WWX, as a group of aliens crashed landed into the battlefield, using a machine to destroy the flow of time and send the world into chaos, forcing a thousand year war between animals. 

Player controls

Mouse to aim and move around

Click to shoot

WASD to walk around

X to reload

E to switch weapons.

Q to throw a grenade around 5 tiles away from you.

The player can jump 3 tiles high

The player can walk 1.5 tiles a second. Their walking can alert nearby enemies.

No weapon limit.

Gameplay

Start off with a simple pistol.

Kill enemies to get new weapons/ammo.

Shooting alerts enemies.

Enemies will follow you, and will group in lines, if they are behind another enemy, they will wait until they are in front of the line.

They are objectives, to make the game feel less linear.

Reach the end with all objectives completed = Level complete.

Amount of objectives depends on level difficulty.

Next is level objectives and such.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:58:35 pm by fillergames »

fillergames

Engine test.

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/25130

Controls are the same as I said earlier. Also, the shooting and left movement is a bit bugged.

Currently have.

-Tommy gun

-Recoil

-Bugged bullets (FIXED)

-Walking

-Bugged mouse aim (FIXED)

-Shell ejection.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 04:06:34 am by fillergames »

fillergames

Found a annoying glitch!

Mashing the weapon equip button (E) will duplicate your held weapon! I gotta fix that soon...

Tryzna

Looks promising, like the shell ejection system. Do you plan to extend possible aiming angle to full 360 degrees? Another thing that would be nice is if cat would turn to follow mouse cursor and player dont have to turn it by A/D keys. Perhaps make cat always facing cursor and leave movement controls just for moving?? I think it would add more natural feel to the game. However like the idea of cat holding tommy gun and looking forward to see your progres;-)

fillergames

Looks promising, like the shell ejection system. Do you plan to extend possible aiming angle to full 360 degrees? Another thing that would be nice is if cat would turn to follow mouse cursor and player dont have to turn it by A/D keys. Perhaps make cat always facing cursor and leave movement controls just for moving?? I think it would add more natural feel to the game. However like the idea of cat holding tommy gun and looking forward to see your progres;-)

I changed the controls to do what you just said. The cat's movement speed has been toned down, as the jumping has been increased, as the player can jump much higher now.

fillergames

New weapon X-nade launcher!

A slow-firing full-auto explosives launcher with little ammo (In story gameplay, not the test level), and a nasty smelling red trail of fresh blood.  Recoil is high, and is suggested to be used in little bursts, as lack of ammo and the said recoil will make you miss targets.

fillergames

New weapon, revolver. (Where you expecting something good?)

Uses standard rounds.

Semi-auto.

Tryzna

Good job, the cat controls are now much smoother. What a shame a grenades dont bounce off walls, but thats just a detail;-)

fillergames

Just a update.

-Fixed up the turret enemy.

-Broke the weapons system, may fix it up soon. Other weapons are removed temporally.

-Grenade launcher does less lag (Can't been seen though).

fillergames

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/25602

Made a new version. I'm now using a list for the weapons system, but it needs fixing.

fillergames

-Added a rocket launcher.

-Made explosions more detailed (and laggy)

fillergames

-Tried to reduce lag from explosions.

-Added a shotgun in the game, of course.

- Fixed weapon swapping system.

fillergames

-Beefed up the cheesy explosion graphic.

-Nerfed and buffed a few weapons.

Also, anyone have any cool weapon ideas for this game? I not really creative, as I just use cartoonish versions of real life weapons.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:46:10 pm by fillergames »

merrak

I realized you can't make a huge free roam collect-a-thon on Stencyl without major trouble and intelligent design, so I went with a simpler idea.

I'm curious what issues you had come up with the "free roam collect-a-thon". I'm working on a similar project and found a few solutions.

Weapons system works pretty well, but I find the controls to be a little frustrating. It'd be nice if I could use the arrow keys, for instance. The recoil also feels very strong.

If you're still looking for ideas, maybe add something like a flamethrower; homing missiles; some kind of ice weapon (to simply disable an enemy rather than destroy it completely -- perhaps to use its corpse as a bridge).

Will the opponents have resistance/weaknesses against certain weapons?

fillergames

It's been awhile.

-I've added A LOT of weapons.

-Graphics are currently going under a redo. So it looks largely unfinished.

-Improved bullet to wall collision.