Inkscape/vector graphic looking good in stencyl?

Tobben2111

Hi :)

So I am playing around with inkscape. Picture in inkscape looks good, but when I upload it to stencyl x4 It looks very bad.

Original image from Inkcape:

272x142

Then I export bitmap

Then upload it to stencyl x1,x2,x4.

X1 still looks good, but x2 and x4 lost too much quality.

In pixelart it was a lot easier, just make 4lines of pixel black etc. if u want to show 1 line in stencyl.

So is it possible to do anything to your original picture to make it looks better in stencyl?

- Tobben

Hectate

If you use thicker lines, the outline will be more visible even at smaller sizes. I believe you could manually export the smaller versions and overwrite the contents of your game directory with your custom version. Then you could control how it looked, instead of Stencyl.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

SadiQ

In pixelart it was a lot easier, just make 4lines of pixel black etc. if u want to show 1 line in stencyl.

Maybe those 4 pixels from inkscape don't get translated to the exported png file?
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Tobben2111

Thx Hectate and SadiQ :) I am making progress.

Thicker lines, 8px did help a lot. I did change the size of some few object just a tiny bit too. I am pretty sure that I have tried something similar before but with bad result. I will try manually export image later on :)

Photon

Wouldn't the way to go be to shrink the graphic in Inkscape so it can maintain detail and then export the smaller image itself into Stencyl?
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Hectate

If the thin lines are preferred, then yes. That's why I mentioned overwriting the auto-scaled one with a custom exported on of that size. Inkscape will do a better job of anti-aliasing the border.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Tobben2111

Custom exported image to stencyl is the way to go. Overwriting the auto scaled images. :)

rob1221

Stencyl's image scaler unfortunately doesn't do as good of a job of downscaling as graphics programs like Inkscape do.  It's most obvious at 1x.

Tobben2111

Hmm, how can I custom exported image to resources folder when it is a animations?

Hectate

Put both versions into one export.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

gfalcaor

Thanks for this thread!!!!
I was using a thicker line on my characters, but even so most of them was really ugly when 1x.
I will try to create the images directly on photoshop (1x size) and overwrite.

Hope to enhance my images.

Thanks!

Follow Me

Tobben2111

Put both versions into one export.

Thx again, animation went well :) I think I came across a bug. If you manually export image and then change duration. Stencyl auto scale from original image again. For example frame 1 was changed from 400duration to 300 and here is the result:

1,5x version of the image

So I have to decide the duration before I start exporting manually :) It's not a big problem and I am not sure if stencyl have to do something like this to not let other bugs etc. from happening :) Is it worth a bug report topic?

dripple

This should not happen if you select more frames, as the editor then only asks for the milliseconds, this won't overwrite the images then.
Sure, my games won't get better with all the new features of Stencyl.
But I do have more fun creating bad ones.

MayazCastle Keeper

SadiQ

What if you set the images as Read Only in windows?
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

gfalcaor

What if you set the images as Read Only in windows?

Great tip.
I will do that trick on changing the images on photoshop and then setting them as read only as well.

Follow Me