How to get the most money from a sponsorship?

QuadraGames

Ok so right now I really crave a nice new 3D Printer, preferably the Makerbot Replicator series which goes for about $3000,
do you guys know any ways so I can get the most money for my game?

MaartenWinkels

Let Chillingo publish it, and it will sell fast.

-Maarten

QuadraGames

That sounds like a good idea as Chillingo made Cut the rope which I like, but don't they do mobile stuff?
(I could convert my game to mobile but I have to convert all the sounds and its just so.. ugh..tedious)

colburt187

The best way to get the most money from a sponsorship is make an awesome game that a big sponsor is going to want on their site, then after an agreed time you can re-sell the games as site locks for some smaller amounts.

It all depends on the game. If the game in question is Red Boy, then I honestly think you are going to struggle getting sponsorship for it, maybe $100 -$200 if you fix it up a bit and add some upgrades etc.  Also the fact its here available to play on the site is not a good thing for sponsorship.

but if you have some other game up your sleeve and its pretty awesome then put it on FGL, hopefully you will get some bids, maybe even a bidding war and get $500-$1500 (or more if the game is really special)

than maybe a site lock or 2 for $300.

QuadraGames

Well in my eyes Redboy is an OKAY game, I've been working on a revision since the end of December and it's really coming along very well (though they both have the same title which I'm probably going to change). My original plan was to submit [New RedBoy game] to ArmourGames first and see how it does, and then when I get an offer I would submit it to FGL and see which one has the better offer but I realized ArmourGames participates in FGL so yeah. I think this new game is really good, just a couple more things to add and it will be perfect.

colburt187

Yeah Redboy is a nice little game, But the current version is just a platformer collecting gems/coins, I like the graphics but not the text, a bit big, takes up to much of the screen. But there are so many platformers out there,  I personally think you need to add something different to the game. The games that seem to do well are games that contain upgrades etc, makes it addictive so more attractive to sponsors.

I would recommend you go via FGL, register if you haven't already, look at the recently sold games to get an idea of what is selling. Definitely worth contacting some sponsors directly as well, but in my brief experience it has always worked better with FGL, although you do then have to give them a 10% cut of the sale,

Pyxelbit an I just recently sold a game to Armor via FGL, its on the front page now if you want to have a look at it, called Artillerize. 

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 05:02:20 pm by colburt187 »

QuadraGames

RedBoy is also really short to, I never expect it to get anywhere, the NEW Redboy is much longer, like 24 levels longer.
Also, I played some of the newer sold games, and there pretty good so I think New Redboy might hold up pretty good, it's got a really cool art style, some nice music, cool powerups, ect, ect.
Hopefully I can buy myself a shiny new 3D Printer once I'm done.

colburt187

Ok good luck with it, don't get your hopes up to hight though, better to be surprised than disappointed.  I get the FGL blues every time i put a game up for sale.

rob1221

Even if it is as good as you say, don't expect $3,000.  Colburt's numbers are more realistic assuming your game sells at all (many don't).

QuadraGames

Yeah that is true, for some reason I thought I would get quite a bit if ArmourGames were to take it in, I think I read somewhere (probably on there page) that they offer $1500 - $7000.

Stevetheipad

Oh hey you should buy me a 3D printer too. ;)

QuadraGames

@Stevetheipad Oh wow man, that's a great idea, I'll even get you the $6000 model, JUST FOR YOU!

[SARCASM INTENSIFIES]

Stevetheipad

@Stevetheipad Oh wow man, that's a great idea, I'll even get you the $6000 model, JUST FOR YOU!

[SARCASM INTENSIFIES]
Okay thanks, now I'm counting on you. ;)

QuadraGames

Okay so after doing a bit of research I found an even better printer that's only $500, would that be more expected or a price point?
 PS. the printer is called the Buccaneer by Pirate 3D @Stevetheipad (so maybe you can buy it yourself, and with the extra money I can buy..other things...yeah.)

Stevetheipad

Is that one a kit? I've assembled a 3D printer kit and recommend buying one that comes assembled. Usually the cheaper ones ($500 and under) seem to be kits that are better for small home use.