How to get the most money from a sponsorship?

QuadraGames

Nope, no kit. The reason why it's so inexpensive because it's not hand built (which when they are (which most of them are) it raises build cost). It also prints 85 microns, and compared to the most expensive Makerbot model (the wopping $6000 Replicator Z18) that one prints 100 microns per layer. Theres 1000 microns in a millimeter.

Stevetheipad

The Bucaneer costs $100 extra to ship (no pun intended) and you won't get it until the end of June.

QuadraGames

Okay... $600.. plus a bit of fillament.. Makes $700 but its still cheaper then the Makerbot products.
And.. end of June, damn.
Would $700 be a reasonable amount for my game to be sold?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 08:43:42 pm by QuadraGames »

HidetoKoudanshi

Look on Kickstarter for the Peachy Printer. Check YouTube for videos of how well it prints. $100 3D printer using lasers to print items. They do have an assembled model for more. I have high hopes for the Peachy, so I jumped in on the Kickstarter. We'll see what happens when it releases.
If I ever commission you for code work, please know that I understand how commissioning works. You must get paid first before you will code anything for me. Only once you are paid the agreed-upon price, will you begin coding for me. I respect artists and coders. You deserve to be paid for your hard efforts.

QuadraGames

Yeah but thats the thing, the Peachy Printer is $100. It's not professional, like the ones I wanted. Hell even the Buccaneer is a long shot for me. I don't know its just not.. professional enough for me, I can't explain it. The low price point and the squishy material is the main points for me. Also, the print quality doesn't look good.

Stevetheipad

What do you plan to do with it? Maybe you could find someone nearby that has a 3D printer to try out? There's a university close to me that has an industrial one that I have access to since I'm taking classes from them and it's nice to use for free.

QuadraGames

Theres one at my school, but it constantly breaks down and it only prints at like half a millimeter, and it doesn't print supports, and it only works like a third of the time... it's a piece of junk really and thats why I want a Makerbot Replicator or even a Buccaneer because their engineered really well

Stevetheipad

What model does your school have?

QuadraGames

Oh the infotech teacher built it himself, forgot to mention that.

QuadraGames

So back on the topic, how DO I get the best sponsorship?
Theres 3 choices of printers I have
1st choice : Makerbot Replicator 5th Gen - $2800
2nd choice: Makerbot Replicator Mini - $1300
3rd choice: Buccaneer by Pirate 3D - $700 (with filament and shipping)

Should I contact individual sites or just submit it to FGL?

irock

My advice would be to focus more energy on making good games first. No offense or anything.

colburt187

I feel like i already answered that? it doesn't have to be one or the other, do both. Put the game up on FGL, its free and takes very little work to get your game in front of hundreds of sponsors. Then you can contact some directly. However in my experience this gets much less reward for the time you put into it.

One problem with contacting directly is that the negotiation on the price can be tricky, If they like the game they may ask you what you want for it, it can be tricky putting a price on your work.

On FGL the sponsor makes you an offer, you may get 2 or 3 bids that then gives you some bargaining power.

HidetoKoudanshi

I'm building a game to help fund a RL project I'm working on, as well, that will cost more than a 3D printer, but when building the game, I don't ask, "How much work do I have to do to make enough money for my project?" Then people only get a game worth exactly that amount once for all the times they play it. I want to build a game that is worth my final earnings every time they play it, not just that first time. So instead of building my game with the mindset of how much work will it take me to achieve my dollar goal, I ask how much work will it take to make a game of the type I want to make of a quality people will enjoy over and over? Then I let the money decide itself based on how people may like said game.

If you build a game with $$ in your eyes, your potential player base will know it. Nearly every Flappy Bird rip-off just looks like a cash-grab clone and turns me off. Flappy Wings, however, took Flappy Bird to the next level by adding sounds, music, more actions from the bird, collectibles/wearables for the bird, etc., and made me want to DL it. I also bought in-game money, too, so my bird could have more wearables. Yes, it was a clone, but the effort that went into that really impressed me. It became worth my money to get this game and buy IAPs.

Think about that before you start your GameForPrinter game. If they can smell the cash grab on your game, you're done. At least in IMHO.
If I ever commission you for code work, please know that I understand how commissioning works. You must get paid first before you will code anything for me. Only once you are paid the agreed-upon price, will you begin coding for me. I respect artists and coders. You deserve to be paid for your hard efforts.

irock

If you build a game with $$ in your eyes, your potential player base will know it. Nearly every Flappy Bird rip-off just looks like a cash-grab clone and turns me off. Flappy Wings, however, took Flappy Bird to the next level by adding sounds, music, more actions from the bird, collectibles/wearables for the bird, etc., and made me want to DL it. I also bought in-game money, too, so my bird could have more wearables. Yes, it was a clone, but the effort that went into that really impressed me. It became worth my money to get this game and buy IAPs.

Think about that before you start your GameForPrinter game. If they can smell the cash grab on your game, you're done. At least in IMHO.
Your example of a game that doesn't reek of cash grab is a Flappy Bird ripoff with microtransactions? Whoa.