Ghost Song (back on Stencyl -- Warning, big GIFs ahead!)

Stefan174

WOW! It's so awesome! Good luck bro!

twotimingpete

thank you!

A gif of what I was working on yesterday. An NPC/boss.

http://www.gfycat.com/GloriousBasicGhostshrimp

She goes a bit apeshit when low on hp.

jay2dx

@twotimingpete

Love following your progress on you tube and here, don't post much myself but always browsing the forum. I'm currently making the switch from GameSalad to Stencyl and your updates really make me feel like its worth it. they are pretty similar but I feel stencyl has the edge especially for windows/steam. which I'm aiming for for future game ideas.

I want to ask, how do overlays work out. frame rate wise. also would love to see a break down of all the elements in one of your scenes next to a final version of the scene.

keep up the awesome work man,

twotimingpete

thank you!

there is only one "overlay" per se, it's the lighting overlay. It's basically a big black square with a hole in the middle. This creates the light radius. It's typically used subtly, but it varies by scene (the opacity is changed by scene, and in some cases the whole thing is resized for a bigger or smaller radius). This is a very low tech solution, because obviously you can't do multiple light sources this way, though I have figured some tricks to sorta fake having another light source. But it's all very low tech for lighting.

For the rest, it's several different full screen shaders.

brightness
contrast
bloom
rgb offset (imitates "chromatic aberration")
grain
color reducer (this limits the number of colors displayed and causes gradients to band, which I think looks cool)
sharpener
saturation

brightness and contrast are increased to help optimize the look of the game on the screen. It's nice to have some control over this and I vary it somewhat in different scenes. Saturation is currently being lowered a bit to take a bit of the edge off the colors, but this is often changed as I continually fiddle with it.

twotimingpete

Some stuff I was working on earlier that I may show in an upcoming update:

These enemies are dormant and non-reactive -- Until they aren't. Their eyes are made to glow in the dark by having a separate actor that is just an eye glow that is overlayed on top of the main actor. The glow actor is displayed on top of the lighting layer and thus glows.

http://www.gfycat.com/DelectableNiftyAssassinbug

They're also volatile and die explosively. I made the green mist by animating a green circular puff and creating a "spawning actor" which is invisible and commands the green puffs to keep spawning, growing, and fading away. The color banding you see is actually part of the game itself and not caused by the gif; It's accomplished by a color reduction shader that was made for me by nobodyx.

http://www.gfycat.com/LiveJealousHowlermonkey

zackan3

Wow, i really love that art style in your game..... i was wondering all the scenes are crated not by tiles... so it was created using all actors? i mean using atlas?? or using individual actors that you place and make a scene with tons of actors?... and the collision is made with terrain collision or... collision is just from the actor.... Im sorry i have so many questions... but i want to work with stencyl too, i am a teacher and many of my students says that stencyl is so good, but they are unable to create a full hd game... so only answer.... well it depends on how you use your resources..... but i didnt know that a project like your's could be done using stencyl....
I use Unity, Unreal, Stencyl and i was planning to learn Game maker or Fusion cause i didnt know that could be possible on stencyl...
If you can help me guiding me, how can i manage the resources in an optimized way i will be gratefull.....

By the Way  I have Preordered the Game :)

Thanks in Advance

twotimingpete

thank you :)

There's nothing particularly special going on, if it looks "HD" or different from most stencyl games, it's because the dimensions of the game are larger and the graphics are bigger, but it's still fundamentally not a lot different from other stencyl games, or other games in general.

I make the environments by placing actors. I have a basic "collision set" of tiles that I use for common angles and flat surfaces to easily fill in the collision of a room, and it's then dressed over by various environment actors. The environment actors may be chunks of rock, or a tree, or a plant, or a block of metal wall, or just whatever is needed. sometimes actors are used for lighting, too. I draw a translucent beam of light and place it somewhere. that kind of thing.

At times more abstract actors are used, that are more akin to brush strokes or stamps to help supplement the overall look of an area. It's always a very tinkering, experimentative process to set up the art.

I also use actors to set up the foreground and background. I don't typically use the "background" resource type. I set up the parallax environment by basically guessing and trial and error placing the graphics in the editor then using code blocks to assign a scroll factor to each layer. This is actually one of the more significant annoynaces of setting up environments in stencyl right now, because the editor doesn't allow you to set scroll factors for layers and see them reflected in real time in the editor.

The use of some full screen shaders also help give the game its look, I think I explained these a couple posts above. :)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

bonzero

I'm wondering, have you tried running the game on an ipad or iphone? just as a benchmark.
When you say decoration actors are they "minimal" actors or "simple" actors? maybe so many decoration actors wouldn't work for mobile-performance wise not sure. Thanks for sharing your WIP, it's really exciting to seeing such a big game being made with Stencyl

squeeb

i was wondering the same thing.. beautiful game! and i know isnt meant for mobile.. but would be cool if stencyl could run this on a mobile

stay1gold

Hi, amazing looking game that I have only just found out about!

Just wondering what sizes your characters and scenes are?
I want to know how you get so much detail in!

Many thanks!

twotimingpete

Hi, amazing looking game that I have only just found out about!

Just wondering what sizes your characters and scenes are?
I want to know how you get so much detail in!

Many thanks!

the resolution of the game is 1920x1080 (though at points in the past it was lower, I ultimately decided to expand it to 1080p). And thank you :)

twotimingpete

I managed to figure out a way to make the audio taper off more realistically if you move further from the source.

The green circle is the source of the voice, in this test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3iKQrOPjjc&feature=youtu.be

The way I did this is pretty simple. I just made two versions of the audio clip (a normal one and one with different EQ and reverb) and played them both at once. I adjust the volumes of the two based on distance.

twotimingpete

Put the voice distance gimmick into the actual game now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zZ9i4VM-0g&feature=youtu.be

Works out fairly nice I think.

juankprada

that is awesome. Any chance you can explain how did you do that?

mebloo

Instinctively, I would say something around updating the volume according to the calculated distance between the actor representing the hero and the actor representing the source of the audio ?

But well, just to say, I watched your video (I'm new in the forums and I just discovered your game), it sounds great and the ambient is incredible !