Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Ghost Song (back on Stencyl -- Warning, big GIFs ahead!)

fillergames

Dang, that looks sweet.

Not to sound like a frame-rate jerk, but does it run at 60 FPS?

mebloo

That's great ! to think that's it's made with Stencyl, really impressive !

Meestar

Dang, that looks sweet.

Not to sound like a frame-rate jerk, but does it run at 60 FPS?
Not on my junky computer! :P
PM me if you require help.  I'm always glad to help out!

twotimingpete

thanks guys and yes 60 fps :)

I posted a long form gameplay video showing 25 min -- covering basically a whole area, with NPC interactions and a boss at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc03CKJQGdQ&feature=youtu.be

let me know what you think. :)

ppak777

This is, quite simply put, amazing. I can't wait to buy it on Steam, and I can really tell that it is a labor of love for you. And people will recognize that when they play it.

My game has been off and on for a few years now, and am just now finding the time to complete it. Your posts on what you're working on and the quality you've been able to achieve have really pushed me to complete my own project. I wish you the best of luck when you go live, as I think the Stencyl platform is so deserving of a quality title like yours to brag about.

Ghost Song for the win!

Crovaxus17

Hello twotimingpete,

I love your work, and in many ways we were inspired by what you were able to accomplish with Stencyl to try our own ambitious project (10,000 Dragons--still in early development). I have one question for you, though: what kind of file sizes are you dealing with for your game when you publish it to the desktop app?

We have made a short demo of our game, only about 10 to 15 minutes of playtime, and our desktop app already is over a gig, even after compression (we are currently working with Mac only, and I am just compressing with the built in zip software on my Mac).  I must admit that I am learning almost everything about developing as we go, but it looks to me like just the process of compiling into an app is what is taking up so much space, as removing large assets from the game does not seem to change the final file size very much; it doesn't seem to matter how big or complicated the game assets are. But I know very little about optimization: I could be missing something that would be obvious to a more experienced developer.

Because of the large file size, we are having trouble distributing our game demo for people to test it out (especially since we are trying to avoid paying money for web hosting, if we can--we're a really small, part-time operation).  Any thoughts or suggestions based on your experience?

Thanks!

iii

@Crovaxus17,
there's a lot of ways you can cut-down the size of your game.
These are some that I can think of right now.

Are you using more than 1 scales?
Most who develop for desktop, only uses 1x scale with a 1920*1080 display setting,
and disabling the other scales. It scale down and up just fine.
Just use fullscreen, and Scale to Fit (fullscreen).

Secondly, rather than creating a large image as a background/the ground, at one go,
you should consider using a small modular assets, and populate your game world that way.
The major base area (usually black) should remain empty. Use just background color for that.

You can also reduce/compress the size of your PNG using something like pngquant.

Foreground assets or background assets that are far away,
you can just use small asset and scale it up with blocks/code.
Doing it this way not only reduce the size, it will also gave a slight blur, a fake Depth of Field.

I'm sure you can think of more creative ways to reduce your game size. Just go wild.

For hosting/distributing your game demo.
I suggest you use either one of these (or all of them) :
"itch.io" / "GameJolt.com" / "indieDB.com"
Its free.

twotimingpete

Just thought I'd check in because I haven't in a while.

I am hoping to have a content complete game by summer. In the meantime, check out a recent video which showcases some of the events that can happen around the crashsite later in the game, including the appearance of a hostile NPC who is capable of targetting other enemies as well as the player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxyECiY7xCc&feature=youtu.be

Another feature that may be new to some of you is the swaying/reactive plantlife that is kicked around when characters pass through it. This did a lot to bring the world to life and was accomplished with simple rotation.

squeeb

I love the interactive plant life... I may have to use that ;)

ceosol

There was a post around 6+ months ago saying that stencyl couldn't have a reactive environment. It is so awesome seeing you debunk that theory :D

twotimingpete

it didn't require anything all that clever... again, I'm just rotating the plants by setting their angle, which is right there on the palette. :)

domagojbulat

OMG it is beautiful! But how come all these rotating plants don't drop down FPS ? Do you use simple physics?

twotimingpete

OMG it is beautiful! But how come all these rotating plants don't drop down FPS ? Do you use simple physics?

Thank you!

I'm not sure how optimal the game is exactly, but at least on my computer (which is decent) it runs mostly smoothly. The rotating plants didn't seem to dent things.  They aren't simple physics because I needed to use collisions. It may be possible to do without collisions, just by tracking when units come near, but in my experience doing lots of targeting and comparing of targets is more expensive than a collision.

Stand alone runs pretty well. The thing I am most careful about is spawning lots of actors suddenly -- That seems to be the most likely cause of frame hitches. It doesn't run perfectly but it runs pretty well and I imagine down the line I'll try to see if anything can be done to improve performance.

twotimingpete

The game has some weird secrets. There's an apparently unused RT/R2 button, but if you hold it down for a long time this can happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cKyV1iN9FM&feature=youtu.be

The ambient sound and any other music playing needs to turn down while this occurs and then turn back up afterwards which wasn't too tricky because I have kept my sound channels sorta organized-ish.