Ghost Song (back on Stencyl -- Warning, big GIFs ahead!)

twotimingpete

thanks guys!

I learned pretty quickly that merely adjusting the volume of a single sound channel by distance is not enough to create a convincing distance effect, because that's not really how audio works, especially indoors or inside caves, which is where most my game takes place. The solution, as I said above, was to play two sounds at once (an ordinary sound, and a sound prebaked with the highs and mids removed and added reverb) and mix them together based on that distance number. So -- In other words, if track A is normal and track B is far away version, track B turns up higher as I go further away (up to a max distance when it hits 100), and track A does the same thing but in reverse. So at close ranges track A is 100, and at far it's 0.

It works nice.

squeeb

that is pure genius!!  where can i play a beta version!!??  i am definitely buying this when it comes out!

Paoloboss

Really interesting..
Very and very amiga500 style!
Go right..2d is the king :-)
Nice night

twotimingpete

thanks guys :)

the beta build has not been updated since early in the year, but I could probably get you a key if you wanted. it was just really early.

WayneAdams

I'd really like to play the beta.. if yer still giving out keys.. I totally plan on getting this on day 1. ;)

The.Gunfish (at) gmail (dot) com.

If not, that's cool too. Keep up the good work.

mebloo

Ghost Song is really something that should motivate anyone here to get his own game done, not only it looks great but it's also a kind of source of inspiration. I can't wait to try what you've done (and I love Metroidvanias ^^)

twotimingpete

thank you guys :)

there's definitely some challenge making a larger project, but it's doable if you set your mind to it (and have a lot of RAM available on your computer, heh)

Black Ice

Absolutely incredible. I am in awe.

Sent you an email last night with a question. :)

sudraja

@the creators of Ghost Song ----> Thank you for that super update. It is exactly what noobs like me were waiting to hear. So many questions got answered, so many doubts are not doubts anymore. Wish you the best of luck so that this totally awesome game comes bursting through onto our worlds. Can't wait for it. I also had a question (for anyone who can help). What should I be working with in order to create good in-game sounds and sound-effects. Thanks and Godspeed! ------------ Ohhhh yeah and it goes without saying, Stencyl Rules forever!!!

twotimingpete

thank you :)

there's no one solution to making sounds, and if there was I'm not hte one to ask. I've made some of the sounds in the game, and when I have, it's usually by mixing various sounds together and modifying them, sometimes mixing elements from BFXR generated sounds.

AlfredBaudisch

@twotimingpete are you using pure drag and drop logic or have written some code too?

twotimingpete

mostly the visual language. in a few specific cases there had to be code which I had some help with, but generally speaking it's drag and drop.

hasnawi

Good wonderful project