Duke Dashington!

AdventureIslands

Duke Dashington was originally my Ludum Dare 27 entry and still one of my best received LD entries. The game follows misadventures of bumbling adventurer archeologist Duke Dashington, biggest hero of Adventurers Club and the worst terror of Archeologists Guild. You see, Duke it a talented explorer, but he is extremely careless and often causes the ancient ruins he is exploring to collapse, before he has even set his foot in! Fortunately, Duke is very fast on his feet and always manages to dash in, grab the loot and run back out before its too late!

Duke needs to travel through each room of the temple in under 10 seconds before the ceiling comes crashing down, but there is a trick: when Duke starts dashing, he can't change his direction before he hits something! Using this limitation you need to use platforms, blocks and more to avoid spikes, traps and reach the end!

The original LD entry had some clunky controls and only 11 room temple, but I am working on extended version with better controls and more temples to dash through, each with their own traps, tricks and 30 rooms each. I'm planning to bring this extended build for iOS and Android because the game works extremely well on touch screens: just swipe your finger to the direction you want Duke to dash!

At the moment of writing this, the game has both finished Incan temple and finished Pyramid temple, and I've just started building the 3rd Atlantis temple. Hopefully after I've finished Atlantis I can push out the game for sale. About the time too.

Some screenshots:

First temple:

Second temple:

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 06:49:27 am by AdventureIslands »

AdventureIslands

I've started to build the Atlantis temple, here's some screenshots:

While the temple will have it's own traps and tricks, the main thing in this temple is water: Duke doesn't die in it, but when he is in water his dashing is limited and he can only dash up to jump out of it. He is unable to dash sideways, and he is swept to whatever direction the water is flowing. You need to tactically travel through the currents while jumping out to avoid things like spikes.

Epic428

That game is really fun! Controls are a bit awkward resulting in me button smashing a lot. A few levels I had to redo a time or two before I finally beat them. I look forward to seeing further development on this! Great Work!
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

AdventureIslands

That game is really fun! Controls are a bit awkward resulting in me button smashing a lot. A few levels I had to redo a time or two before I finally beat them. I look forward to seeing further development on this! Great Work!

In the original LD entry you are unable to dash sideways while you are dashing up. Turns out it makes the gameplay very clunky, so I took it out in the extended version, making the gameplay much smoother and fun.

Photon

Shoot, AdventureIslands. I may just have to put more money on my account to get this when it comes out.

That 3rd temple looks real slick so far. Glad you decided to make it. Curious though: how do you feel about the length of the game right now? Do you think the mobile crowd will think its long enough (cuz' come sure seem vicious at times)?
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

AdventureIslands

Shoot, AdventureIslands. I may just have to put more money on my account to get this when it comes out.

That 3rd temple looks real slick so far. Glad you decided to make it. Curious though: how do you feel about the length of the game right now? Do you think the mobile crowd will think its long enough (cuz' come sure seem vicious at times)?

The game is pretty short because of it's 10 second per room nature, but I hope that with 3 temples, which is 90 rooms with their own puzzles, traps and tricks, Players will hopefully feel the game was a nice experience worth the price.

AdventureIslands

Despite some issues to get the water working correctly, making the Atlantis temple has been relatively painless and I have already finished the first 5 rooms. Only 25 more to go! I have managed to create one or two rooms a day, Hope I can keep up this pace.

Here's the first two rooms in motion:

gfalcaor

Nice!
I like this game. Really cool.

Follow Me

Photon

I'm curious: what is your process for designing a level, especially with them being so short? Do you just kind of attack or do you have a specific method you like to apply?
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

AdventureIslands

Finished some more Atlantis levels today, it now has 7 rooms out of planned 30. I'm making nice progress, if I can keep up the couple rooms a day pace I hopefully have Atlantis done this month.

I'm curious: what is your process for designing a level, especially with them being so short? Do you just kind of attack or do you have a specific method you like to apply?

I try to come up with various traps or objects (such as the spikeballs in above image) and then try to come up with various different ways how to use them. For example, in some rooms they move back and worth on rails, or in some rooms they are floating in water.

Another example could be gates in the pyramid, at first you encounter variety that needs to be closed so you can use them as walls to block your dashing and reach the goal. In some other rooms you encounter gates again but this time you need to open them to proceed. And further ahead you find rooms where you need to press buttons in order to alter gates open and closed to proceed through the room.

While I do try to think up new puzzles when ever I am not at computer and working, I usually just sit down, make a new empty room and just start to place things and traps in it and try to figure out clever ways to reuse already encountered things again but in new ways.

Photon

Only a couple rooms a day? I HAVE TO WAIT THAT LONG TO PLAY THIS?!

Lol. No seriously though, I really want to get this. And let me tell you, that's not something I say very often anymore. ;)

AdventureIslands

Only a couple rooms a day? I HAVE TO WAIT THAT LONG TO PLAY THIS?!

Lol. No seriously though, I really want to get this. And let me tell you, that's not something I say very often anymore. ;)

If I was a full time indie, my games would proceed much faster. I have a day job as a graphics artist in a small indie game company and that takes quite lot of my development time. I only get to work on my own games on my free time.

Well, hopefully after releasing Duke I'm one step closer to said full time indie status. I guess it depends on how this and my future games will do.

Photon

Well, the quality looks superb, and I can't say I've seen anything quite like this on the AppStore before. Who knows? Maybe you'll make the front page of either store. I think it has a solid chance anyway.

This, of course, is coming from a guy who's never published mobile though. Just saying... :P

timbirks

Looks great! kinda reminds me of Rick Dangerous!
Super Crash Land v1.2 - Available to Download now from Google Play absolutely free!   

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.timbirks.supercrashlandv12

AdventureIslands

Good news folks! I've finally finished Atlantis, the 3rd and so far final temple of Duke Dashington. That makes it whopping 90 finished rooms of dashing and puzzling! Whoa!

I still need to finish some small things like ending sequence for the temple and stage selection, but other than that the game is done as far as I'm concerned. I could release it on Google Play any time I want, but I need to get some Apple devices to test and port the game so I can release it on AppStore too.

I might make a PC port too, I'm considering perhaps releasing the game on itch.io like Mibibli's Quest.