Duke Dashington!

Jon

If you're considering a PC port, have you thought about the Mac App Store? (even if it goes up for free)

AdventureIslands

If you're considering a PC port, have you thought about the Mac App Store? (even if it goes up for free)

Hmm, perhaps I can try making a Mac port too. Is it difficult to get games on there?

Jon

$99 bucks to Apple and making sure it exports to Mac. Nothing harder than the PC port (all the standalone targets are identical as far as I'm concerned).

AdventureIslands

Well, I'm having bit of an annoying problem with iOS. I don't have devices right now so I'm testing on simulator, so I don't know if these will look any different when run on actual device, but the game looks like this on iPhone, iPhone5 and iPad.

for some reason on the iPad there is a huge ass bar in the bottom of the screen. Is there any way I could make the game make it centered like the iPhone one with two small bars on top and bottom?

rob1221

Try increasing your menu scene height.

AdventureIslands

Try increasing your menu scene height.

Tried adding couple tiles worth of height to the scene and the the bar is still there. The bar is on every scene.

rob1221

Which scaling mode are you using?  Maybe it's not accounting for the more squarish aspect ratio of the iPad.

AdventureIslands

I'm using the letterbox scale.  Nothing else seems to really work with this game, without making the game too big or small for the screen or otherwise messed up. Works wonders on phones, but iPad seems to be causing problems.

Jon

Is there a reason why you didn't want to go for the new scale mode we added?

That said, it's really odd that it's doing that on the ipad. I'm gonna check with the demo you gave me recently.

Edit: It's rendering fine on iPad. Hmm...

AdventureIslands

I got a iPod and iPad now and tested it, turns out they were just simulator issues.

Does Apple allow letterboxing? If I understood this right, they don't http://www.stencyl.com/help/view/4-inch-ios-devices/ at least on iPhone 5. The current letterbox I'm using fits iPhone5's screen just fine, only cutting couple pixels from left and right, but there are black bars under the game when it's run on iPhone4 or iPad.

Is there a reason why you didn't want to go for the new scale mode we added?

Because it doesn't work very well with backgrounds that are not looping. on longer devices the background image starts from the left side of the screen and if it doesn't fill the screen it just leaves the rest blank. I'll probably just have to draw longer backgrounds I guess, or could we have option to center background images on the scene?

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 03:12:59 am by AdventureIslands »

AdventureIslands

I tried using the new scale mode Scale To Fit (Full Screen) and while it works on iPhone and iPhone5, on my iPad it looks like this. Bug? Isn't this scale mode supposed to be like letterbox? this looks like Scale to fit (fill). But instead of cutting little bit from everywhere, this cuts heaps from the right.

Jon

Apple doesn't allow letterboxing on apps, but it's unclear what the policy is for games. If you feel good about the game in its current state and like how it looks, there's nothing to lose by submitting it like this.

Could I get the logs for your iPad + Scale to Fit (Full Screen) run?

AdventureIslands

Apple doesn't allow letterboxing on apps, but it's unclear what the policy is for games. If you feel good about the game in its current state and like how it looks, there's nothing to lose by submitting it like this.

Could I get the logs for your iPad + Scale to Fit (Full Screen) run?

Here's the logs

Jon

Hmm, none of the game's actual logs are showing up. Could you grab the game's logs using either Xcode's Organizer or an on-device app?

AdventureIslands

Hmm, none of the game's actual logs are showing up. Could you grab the game's logs using either Xcode's Organizer or an on-device app?

Err, hmm, how do I grab them with xcode? When I go to the organizer, Duke is not listed on the xcode project list.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:36:44 pm by AdventureIslands »