Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Stencyl doesn't work on Linux (SOLVED)

hypersentient

After far more trouble-shooting, forum-scouring, and google-searching than I could have possible anticipated...
STENCYL will not gerate swf files... seems to me to be a libneko problem...
see attached log.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:57:28 pm by Jon »
~hypersentient

sdieters

does it show a pop-up? i cant find any usefull info from that text file.
My new profile is TheIndieStation.
When you see a recent post with this name, i'm probably using my phone. So dont mind any typo's =p

Photon

I don't think you generated the full logs. Go to Debug >> Logs on the menu bar and post your full logs please.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

hypersentient

okay... I just created a new game with only one empty scene...
here's what I get:
~hypersentient

Epic428

I can't take too much time to troubleshoot this, have to leave for work shortly. But a quick google search of this: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64 led me to information showing its a linux issue. Are you running linux? If so do you know if it is 64bit or 32 bit? and if you do know did you download the appropriate version of stencyl?

I got that info from in the logs here:

Code: [Select]
[LOG] Uncaught exception - load.c(232) : Failed to load library : /home/chris/Desktop/STENCYL/Stencyl-full/plaf/neko-linux/std.ndll (/home/chris/Desktop/STENCYL/Stencyl-full/plaf/neko-linux/std.ndll: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64)
[LOG] Uncaught exception - load.c(232) : Failed to load library : /home/chris/Desktop/STENCYL/Stencyl-full/plaf/neko-linux/std.ndll (/home/chris/Desktop/STENCYL/Stencyl-full/plaf/neko-linux/std.ndll: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64)
[LOG] Finished building for Flash (or errored out): 1
[LOG] Running SWF: /home/chris/Desktop/STENCYL/stencylworks/games-generated/ONE EMPTY SCENE/Export/flash/bin/ONE EMPTY SCENE.swf inside /home/chris/Desktop/STENCYL/Stencyl-full/ext-tools/players/flash-10-linux
[LOG] Error: Invalid SWF file name
[LOG] Action: Generate Logs
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

hypersentient

I am running linux.
Debian 7 (wheezy) 32 bit
Yes, I'm sure... yes, I'm using the 32 bit stencyl...

so... no-one knows anything?
whoever put together the linux downloads missed something...
I would LOVE to make use of this program, but it seems that it is unlikely... sad.
~hypersentient

Jon

Someone in our inner group (captaincomic) uses Linux and was successfully using Stencyl on it throughout the beta. If you are patient, we could try to get together all of the Linux users and collectively see what the situation is.  It's definitely a 32/64 bit issue.

The amount of help you'll get here will be minimal to none since very few Stencylers use Linux or know how to work with it. If you're serious about using the app, try running it in a Windows VM, or another flavor of Linux that might be more amenable to it.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 01:53:04 pm by Jon »

sdieters

@Jon, pardon me for asking this here, but i cant send you a PM.
i have a Stencyl copyright related question, can you send me an PM so i can ask it personaly?
i contacted Hecate 2 days ago about this, but he told me to ask you that personaly.
My new profile is TheIndieStation.
When you see a recent post with this name, i'm probably using my phone. So dont mind any typo's =p

hypersentient

absolutely.
I would be happy to help figure out whatever it is...
I'm a fan of linux, though not proficient.
In fact, I regularly do clean installs, and go one step at a time...
in an effort to learn, in hopes a of a system that runs the way I want it to.
I am well aware that my problem may be specific to me.
(I was just considering a fresh start again)
Thanks!
~hypersentient

hypersentient

well... I've done the following:

clean install - debian net install - 7 (wheezy) 64-bit, xfce4 desktop, xfwm4 window manager.

at this point stencyl does not run.

then, after configuring multiach support, stencyl does run, but generates the invalid SWF file name error... because it never generates the file...

I noticed something in the log that makes me suspicious:
[LOG] Write String out as file to: /home/chris/mm.cfg
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/chris/.macromedia/Flash_Player/Logs/flashlog.txt (No such file or directory)

see attached log... thanks...
~hypersentient

captaincomic

Hi

Your logs say

[LOG] haxelib: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /home/chris/Stencyl-64-full/plaf/neko-linux/libneko.so)
So apparently you don't have libc installed. You probably need to install the package "libgc-dev".

Btw. there is an article now with instructions for installing on Linux
http://www.stencyl.com/help/view/install-stencyl-linux

hypersentient

...well... I have followed those instructions...
I have tried BOTH 32 & 64 bit stencyl on a 64 bit system...
I have tried it on a 32 bit system...
I am confident in my own ability to troubleshoot & configure things...
STENCYL IS THE ONLY SOFTWARE I'M HAVING ISSUES WITH!
...it never generates the SWF...
???
~hypersentient

captaincomic

Oh, I see Debian Wheezy has still libc6 2.13
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/libc6

It seems that haxe 3 needs at least libc6 2.15.

Unfortunately the library is core to the system, so to upgrade it you probably need to upgrade the whole system (Debian testing and unstable have already 2.18.)

I'll ask Jon to update the article to mention the minimum required version.

hypersentient

?! oh... well I will look into it...
thanks.
wheeeee.... further down the rabbit hole...
wish me luck!
~hypersentient

hypersentient

:) SUCCESS!!!
the new linux install instructions are spot-on for Debian Jessie.
http://www.stencyl.com/help/view/install-stencyl-linux
Thanks, everyone!
~hypersentient