Nuggeta Extension: for multiplayer online games, Leaderboard, Chat and Inventory

mdotedot

A specific server for your game give you way more control over what you want.

For turn-based movement there are a lot of routes to go that will work.

For real multiplayer this is an interesting read:
http://gafferongames.com/networking-for-game-programmers/what-every-programmer-needs-to-know-about-game-networking/

Specifically this:

… the best of both worlds: In all cases, the server remains completely authoritative. Nearly all the time, the client movement simulation exactly mirrors the client movement carried out by the server, so the client’s position is seldom corrected. Only in the rare case, such as a player getting hit by a rocket, or bumping into an enemy, will the client’s location need to be corrected.

Either way it depends on your game. The real issue is on how you control your game and how it gets and reacts/works with the data that is sent across.
There is where the most of your work has to be done. (what happens when players leave/quit or are having problems with the network-lag?)

Then there is what keeps getting asked in the forum: Tweets, Google Leaderboard, GameCenter integration, Facebook integration
Those need APIs made in HaXe/OpenFL to really tap into them. And those APIs are changed frequently and are difficult to maintain.

Just my two cents.

Best regards from
M.E.

Hanging out in the Chat:  http://www.stencyl.com/chat/

Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

ceosol

I did find something last night about making a game server in C++. Since haxe can call C++ code, maybe I could develop an extension that way.  One of the projects I am working on would do well with turn based multiplayer, so I will probably just stick with your nuggeta extension until I have a better handle on things.

Thank you for the information. I will need to study up on all of this. If I can figure anything out, I will let you know.

:)

vikingpotato

I get these errors when i use this extension with the latest version of stencyl 3.x
I made an account on Nuggeta and set up the details for my game. I was just trying to load the scoreboards.
Attached logs..
Now my game also won't work.. it gives an error 'Building for Flash failed. (Return code: 1)'
What did i do wrong :(

mdotedot

Hello VikingPotato,

The message indicates that you need to change the MyNuggeta.hx file for a specific line:
(Line 498)  var playername:String=leaderboardEntry.getPlayerName();

I thought that SadiQ posted the latest version with this change in it?!?

Hopefully it helps for now!?!

Best regards from
M.E.

Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

SadiQ

Hmm...I´m sure I did but it didn´t get uploaded somehow?
EDIT: I uploaded a new zip file "Nuggeta_2014_09_20.zip". Mind updating the first post to point to it in the download location?

mdotedot

Updated the first post to include a link to the latest .zip.

Best regards from
M.E.

vikingpotato

Thanks, but i had to revert because the bug permanently corrupted the game copy. I will test this version soon.

jeffry7

Anybody getting errors connecting to the Nuggeta servers?

Stuff like?
[LOG] [Flash] com.nuggeta.mimics.log.NLoggerImpl#error(22): [NuggetaPlug] [ERROR]:x12-plug lost
[LOG] [Flash] com.nuggeta.mimics.log.NLoggerImpl#error(22): [NuggetaPlug] [ERROR]:x12-plug lost

or

[LOG] [Flash] com.nuggeta.mimics.log.NLoggerImpl#error(22): [NHttpRequestImpl] [ERROR]:Start Error [IOErrorEvent type="ioError" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #2032: Stream Error. URL: http://5.153.16.122:3011/httpstream/?session_id=11509547601198585&id=1412034208748&p=x&send=send"]
[LOG] [Flash] com.nuggeta.mimics.log.NLoggerImpl#error(22): [NuggetaPlug] [ERROR]:gs-plug lost

hdelbani

hello,  i have tried to install the extension but that doesnt work, i download it and try many time, and i didnte get to install it. any idea?

bambucha

I have the same problem... i went to settings - extensions and install extension. The folders for nuggeta extension are created in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Stencyl\stencylworks\engine-extensions\Nuggeta_2014_09_20\nuggeta
ut i cannot see the extension in the settings-extensions dialog. Am i doing anything wrong?
Thanks!
Check out my games:
Highway Dodger    Highway Dodger 2     Dev Blog (in the making)

SadiQ

It seems that the extension wasn't properly zipped. You need to go into C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Stencyl\stencylworks\engine-extensions\Nuggeta_2014_09_20 and move the nuggeta folder into the C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Stencyl\stencylworks\engine-extensions folder.
Restarting Stencyl after that will fix things.

bambucha

@SadiQ
Thank you, that worked!
Check out my games:
Highway Dodger    Highway Dodger 2     Dev Blog (in the making)

manueljoshua

Hello. For some reason, I am unable to log into the nuggeta developer site. I signed up, put my info in, then tried signing up.

When I put in the correct info, and click the "log in" button, it appears that absolutely nothing happens. But when I type in the wrong password, I get this little red line of text letting me know I have indeed typed in the wrong password.

Anyone else getting this?

I really want to use this extension, but if I can't get into nuggeta then I'm completely stuck!

Please help!

hdelbani

It seems that the extension wasn't properly zipped. You need to go into C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Stencyl\stencylworks\engine-extensions\Nuggeta_2014_09_20 and move the nuggeta folder into the C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Stencyl\stencylworks\engine-extensions folder.
Restarting Stencyl after that will fix things.
i have tried what you have said and it doesnt work
any other ideas?

mdotedot

Hello HDelbani,

Unfortunately Nuggeta has made yet another change to their API which we interact with.

All but the last are not important.

MyNuggeta (686) -  com.nuggeta.ngdl.nobjects.#SaveGameStatus has no field NOT_SUPPORTED_IN_CONNECTED_MODE
MyNuggeta (534) -  com.nuggeta.ngdl.nobjects.#SubmitScoreStatus has no field AUTHENTICATION_REQUIRED
MyNuggeta (538) -  com.nuggeta.ngdl.nobjects.#SubmitScoreStatus has no field FAILURE
MyNuggeta (429) -  com.nuggeta.ngdl.nobjects.#ThirdPartySource has no field TWITTER
MyNuggeta (1103) -  com.nuggeta.NuggetaPlug has no field createGameWithCharacteristics

The createGameWithCharacteristics mechanism is used in all the room-based blocks and makes half of the extension unusuable at this moment.
Frankly the amount of changes on the API are too frequent and the use of the Nuggeta extension is not that extensive that I don't have the motivation to investigate this further.

You could modify the extension yourself and comment out the parts that are mentioned by Stencyl.
It will compile and some of the blocks will work.

Best regards from
M.E.