stencylforge 2?

chaosoul

I can see this failing as someone who has dedicated tons of hard work decides to sell a resource pack for 5$ and is totally worth it. Another user buys and and then reuploads it for a 1$ and more people buy it from him. How will we be able to lock it?
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

coleislazy

I'm assuming there would be security in place to keep the pack from being re-uploaded, or disassembled (ie, PNG files sitting in a directory somewhere).

chaosoul

I still don't really like this idea I hope most people will continue to let out free stuff even after marketing is allowed.
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

SWATLLAMA

That is true. That's one of the things wrong with the world. We're all too greedy. But that's in our genes sadly. Even if the whole world were communist, there would be underground capitalist societies. Not under the ground but undercover is what I mean.

But yes, I want things for free too.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

Grimreaper

The three worst components of today's society or society in general is greed hunger and betrayal.
Greed you thank you don't have enough.
You hunger for more or you hunger for what they have.
betrayal the worst kind of people will betray someone for all the above.
This leads to murder and chaos in the world.
No one is going to change so the word history gets involved.
History will repeat itself with better weaponry but the same stupidity.
If the word content got involved it would better.
Be content with what you have because it all ends the same you live you die the end.
The point to life is to die just be happy with what you have.
Why waste your life away for all the above when you won't get anywhere.
Maybe before your time you will have 50% of you want but you wont most likely die truly happy.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:08:55 am by Grimreaper »
yesterday is a memory tomorrow is a vision, but today its a b_tch.

Dizko

Not all of us are greedy, some of us just want to make a living  ;)

Unfortunately that includes making money.  :'(

Dizko

I supposed I should add a bit of perspective maybe.

I've been a user of GameSalad for almost a year now and I can say from my experience there that balance between free stuff and paid stuff is pretty good. So if the second iteration of the forge has a paid section in it, I wouldn't worry all that much. You'll find that there will most likely end up being a healthy balance between free things and paid things. And even then, the paid things will probably be fairly reasonable price-wise. Just my 2 cents.

Grimreaper

Do you realize the actual legalizing you have to do to make money off of this.If you even so much as make a little profit you need a business license and  you have to pay taxes and any benefits you was getting because you wasn't making that money is gone and you will have feds riding your butt about it to.
If you don't believe me go look up what happens to people now a days when they try to run a lemon aid stand without a permit I'm just say and I didn't mean everyone was greedy I'm just say it doesn't take much to change even the most upstanding citizen into someone you don't even recognize.

Zephilinox

I would imagine it more like a market, grim, the owners of the market get a cut of what you sell your items for and in exchange you use their stalls to sell those items.

Grimreaper

Yeah but its hard to find any markets now a days without a shady past or a market you can put your trust into.
And if they ain't legit your in a world of hurt you and your family and everyone involved with it.

There is never a guaranteed when it comes to that and if a law suddenly turns on its side or a new law passes you would be in deeper than you would ever thought you would be and laws are passed all the time changing what you can and can't when it comes to business if you ever get into doing this you better be prepared have yourself a lawyer on speed dial just in case.

Fr1gid

:o Don't be so dramatic... No really. Yes it is serious business but the world isn't ending. I you are selling your product on a regulated market place you can keep track of your own income and figure your own taxes.
Whats all this about people running lemonade stands getting in trouble? If you have a booth at the fair or a stand in down town that you operate all summer then yes you should pay taxes. But little kids? Being sued? Questionable...

It is always good to be aware of the law and the how it applies to you but if the majority of the time it is not something you need to fret about. If Stencyl Forge gets a market place it will be entirely legal. You will most likely have to send in a tax form like on Kongregate and that will be it.

Out of curiosity what country are you from Grim?

On topic: I would really like to see rep points of some kind integrated into the Forge. That way when we have some awesome contributors they can be recognized, and quality products more easily found. It could be based loosely off dls, ratings and mabey some other criteria.

Jon

To put one issue to rest, this isn't going to be a free-to-do-whatever market, in the sense that anybody from anywhere can put something up for sale at any price.

Instead, we're going to focus on cultivating very high quality content to put up. Mostly art, sounds, music and pro-grade kits. I think that focusing on a less is more approach is the right way to go, rather than a free for all, which would be a logistical nightmare for us to handle. This does mean an approval process, but the result will be a guarantee that there isn't crap lying around. It's a win for our users, for us, and for the authors.

SWATLLAMA

Does this mean that everything uploaded to forge has to go through an approval process, even if we want it to be free? Also, Will you guys determine the pricing?
Hail The Llama

Jon

No, just the paid stuff. We'll also put a process in place to reduce the noise coming in through that channel, such as having to provide some tax-related information.

Price is set by the author, within restraints, much like Apple does. We have to approve the price but it always gets proposed bu the author.

SWATLLAMA

Tax-related information? Darn it. Many of us who might upload some great things have parents. Who might not want to give out tax-related information. Couldn't you make it so that you don't have to provide the info immediately, you can provide it whenever you want and the money will pool into an account like it does on Kongregate?
Hail The Llama