stencylforge 2?

Grimreaper

I from the US and there was a lemonade stand or 3 or 4 shutdown by cops because they didn't pay 500 dollars for a business license or got them tested by the disease control people which would run them upwards of to 1000 or more dollars just like it is wrong to have chickens in your yard so you can eat them it is also a crime in some states growing a backyard garden for yourself. I'm just saying a lot of things in this world is screwy when it comes to business be careful
yesterday is a memory tomorrow is a vision, but today its a b_tch.

coleislazy

it is also a crime in some states growing a backyard garden for yourself.

Nowhere in the US is it illegal to grow and consume your own produce.

Dizko

I from the US and there was a lemonade stand or 3 or 4 shutdown by cops because they didn't pay 500 dollars for a business license or got them tested by the disease control people which would run them upwards of to 1000 or more dollars just like it is wrong to have chickens in your yard so you can eat them it is also a crime in some states growing a backyard garden for yourself. I'm just saying a lot of things in this world is screwy when it comes to business be careful

Despite your extreme examples with no citation, this is a much different case considering this is an online marketplace. There is a difference between selling something in front of your house and selling something online. Have you ever heard of a case where someone got in trouble for selling something on Ebay without a business license? As a general rule in the US, if you don't make more than $8,000 (give or take) a year selling whatever you're selling, it's usually not a big deal.

In this case it appears there will be a paper trail and like a lot of things, you'll have to pay federal taxes on what you sell. As long as you properly report, it won't be a problem. Anyone serious about making money knows the criteria they have to follow.

Grimreaper

Well you haven't been reading the news a lot but it isnt illegal completely but people are trying to stop with a lot of laws and if you look up some cases on google you will find something about it.
This link http://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/s-510-is-hissing-in-the-grass/ is something close to what I'm talking about but some states have already decided to try and stop you from doing this and In georgia there is some cases where people weren't allowed to grow there own chickens.
Just because it hasn't pass doesn't mean they won't keep trying to do it until it does.
Imagine what would happen to the internet if it this started happening on the internet you think I'm extreme here is a link to the lemonade stand and the price of what it would cost
to keep it running http://boingboing.net/2011/07/18/kids-lemonade-stand.html.
I don't want to go to far but here is another link to something else and I'm stopping here for right now ok http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/police-shut-down-lemonade-stands-and-cookies-stands-run-by-kids-all-over-america-is-there-anything-we-are-still-free-to-do-without-government-permission.
I'm sorry but things are heading south and I'm just saying you need to be extra careful and have yourself a lawyer and a contract if you think I'm extreme I'm not I'm just careful.

coleislazy

It is not and never will be illegal to grow your own produce in this country. Livestock can and should be regulated because they can be a public health hazard, especially in dense urban areas.

The sources you linked are so insanely biased that I would not trust a single thing they report.

Here are two sources that dispute the "facts" in the Food Freedom article:

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/would_a_new_bill_in_congress_make.html
http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/food/foodsafety/background-on-h-r-875/

Factcheck.org is a well respected source and Food and Water Watch is a consumer right group focusing on goverment accountability relating to food and water.

Dizko

Well you haven't been reading the news a lot...

That's a fairly bold assumption to make. In any case, forgive me for not taking the reactionary stance that you hold on the matter. You're clinging oftly hard to this lemonade stand story. Just so we're clear the federal government =/= city government. The story you keep referring to is from a specific town in Georgia, fortunately I do not live anywhere near there.

Is it a stupid law? Sure. Is it the end of the world? No, in fact I'd argue that the city law will end up getting changed as a result of the unwanted media attention. I think you might be overreacting just a tad bit here.

Keep track of your tax documents, report what you're supposed to and you'll be fine. The work you would sell on Stencylforge will most likely fall under Freelancing.

Grimreaper

Ok when something happens don't blame me and if doesn't I will be the first admit I'am wrong for wanting to be careful it is better to have an umbrella for rainy days then not to have one and be caught in the rain.
Or should I say its best to be prepared even if you don't need to be it would be nice to have something to catch you if something goes wrong and if it doesn't its always nice to a have net waiting.
I rather have a net to catch me then concrete if you ask me.
 :)

SWATLLAMA

So now I can't have a lemonade stand? D:!!!!!!!! When resources that cost money are downloaded, the buyer shouldn't be allowed to edit it. If so, he/she could just edit a behavior or reupload it on their own for free.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

Grimreaper

That make since It needs some kind of mega ultra heavy duty encryption installed into whatever you make the kind of encryption that the pentagon would be jealous of jk,but seriously needs some kind of encryption to it.

Fr1gid

Like Jon said the Forge will soon be more moderated. This means that when someone trys to take the premium content and re-upload it, it will not be allowed. They wont let you put it back up, and you most definitely will not be able to resell it.

Encryption of a file you are supposed to be able to use in your game and have complete control over is unnecessary and would be very annoying. Can you imaging trying to get a game working were you can't see the code in the behavior. You would have no idea what to do.
Or how about an un-editable tile set. what if you want to change a color in one of the tiles or really do anything. Locked actor, locked tile-set, locked behaviors, locked everything will do the developers no good. It would make the store much less attractive.

People who want to steal will steal but they will have to buy it legitimately first. A unique id attached to each store purchased item may be a solution but really there is little Stencyl can do about it with or without "mega ultra heavy duty encryption".

Other thread: There are restrictions on raising chickens in my town because they attract predators in to the city, creating even more dangerous situations (no chickens < child eaten by bear). Web sites that are trying to argue a point and are obviously biased will lie to you (or bend the truth as it is called). That is the point of their site, to sway you to their side by whatever means necessary.

gigaclon

please take the side conversation to Chit-Chat.

Grimreaper

Lol about the side conversation its done wound down now so there is nothing to worry about. :)

Fr1gid

Is there a link to more info? Or is this all things devs have mentioned on the forums?