Dungeon Rush!

Jon

This is some seriously impressive work (and fantastic music). It's a much, much more fleshed out game than the original. The tutorial area is well-done. I'll definitely promote this on the main site.

My only concern is that it's easy to die and get sent all the way back to the start. I got to shop 2 and died fairly quickly to the blue guys thereafter and would have liked to get sent back to somewhere besides the beginning

Epic428

I do agree that it would be nice if there was more of an extension to the game play, rather than being sent all the way back to the beginning. I can see the lamp resetting you only one time, but out of curiosity, is it only once per game? or is it once every so many levels/dungeons? I think playing that up a bit more could help improve this.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this game, and I think you guys did an awesome job making it. Lol part of me is kinda glad it wasn't entered into the contest, otherwise none of use would have stood a chance :P
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

Luyren

Thanks guys!

Each lamp only save you one time, but you have 4 lamps during the game (if I'm not mistaken).

The game is supose to be difficult, but not impossible. We might hve to tweak that based on the community's feedback.

EDIT: Oh, our intentionw as never to participate in the contest. It was 2/3 Game Jams ago, but now it isn't a valid entry anymore.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 04:10:20 am by Luyren »
Working.

NobodyX

I love it so far! I was running along then plopped into some lava, so I'll have to give it another go later (which is perfectly fine by me!)

I don't know how long the game is, but I don't think that going back to the start is a problem if the game isn't much longer than an average shmup or Contra. Plus, being able to re-play the same parts with different weapons should be fun.

NobodyX

I got stuck :(

The gate was closed and would not open. It was shortly after the furnace guy.

Strasteo

Oof, sorry 'bout that NobodyX. We'll revise that as soon as possible.

Strasteo

Sorry about the double post, but that's odd. I don't notice anything out of the ordinary with the gate. Well, it's not a big deal so I just deleted it. We're going to update the game file today with some more fixes and such.
Thank you for the feedback, guys! We hope you continue playing it and exploring the dungeon. :]

Epic428

Just a suggestion. But is it possible that after triggering the gate you could very easily change your direction to move towards and eventually behind the gate, causing you to get stuck like that?

Perhaps a more viable solution, if possible, would be to check which side of the gate the player is on, and based on that info raise or lower the gate, so as to prevent this from happening elsewhere.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

NobodyX

Maybe the gate was triggered when I passed by it on the floor above?

Strasteo

Actually, I think that's exactly what triggered it. After looking at a few more levels with similar structure, I was surprised to find that I never once put gates on the bottom levels with those. This one was the only level like that.

I like your idea, Epic. But some of the gates were fully meant to keep the player from going back and forth. I've tested the possibility of turning around mid-way but I don't think it's possible even with a speed potion.

We're in the process of addressing the issue now. Thanks for the continued feedback.

Epic428

Just to clarify my idea a bit further. Basically the way it would work is say for example the player passes the gate from left to right on the level. If the player is on the left side of the gate and the gate is down, then open the gate. However, if the player is on the right side of the gate and the gate is down, then keep the gate closed. If the player is on the right side of the gate and the gate is up, then close the gate.

Basically it keeps them as one way gates, but if for some reason the player manages to get on the wrong side of the gate while it is down, then they can freely move through the gate to continue the level resolving the bug but keeping the intention of how it should work intact.

Anyway, it seems you have found the problem and have a better fix.

Luyren

Just to clarify my idea a bit further. Basically the way it would work is say for example the player passes the gate from left to right on the level. If the player is on the left side of the gate and the gate is down, then open the gate. However, if the player is on the right side of the gate and the gate is down, then keep the gate closed. If the player is on the right side of the gate and the gate is up, then close the gate.

Basically it keeps them as one way gates, but if for some reason the player manages to get on the wrong side of the gate while it is down, then they can freely move through the gate to continue the level resolving the bug but keeping the intention of how it should work intact.

Anyway, it seems you have found the problem and have a better fix.
The gate is made so the hero can only pass through it in one direction. But I don't know why, that type of position for the gate (in a corridor below the hero) closes it. Since in most such terrains the hero can't go back anyway, we've opted for removing the faulty gates.

We'll update the game with the recent fixes and two new music tracks. Well, you'll only be able to hear them if you go deep enough in the dungeon. I'm aiming for this update tonight, so stay tuned!
Working.

Strasteo

The game has been updated with fixes. Sorry for the inconvenience everyone, and thanks for the great feedback and suggestions. It's really helping us make the game better.

NobodyX

I don't understand how to hurt the axe boss. The first time I got to it I was able to shoot at it, but with the sword every time I went to hit it nothing would connect then my guy would run into the boss. Also I don't understand what the circle part of the boss does.

Epic428

That was another thing I noticed, the sword didn't seem to work as well as other weapons. I preferred to use the Hammer over everything as it was easier to attack with.