Dungeon Rush!

irock

I was enjoying this game until I got to the boss that the guy tells you you can't attack from the front. Is it possible to hurt that boss without taking damage when you have the shield? I can't figure out how.

Luyren

I was enjoying this game until I got to the boss that the guy tells you you can't attack from the front. Is it possible to hurt that boss without taking damage when you have the shield? I can't figure out how.

Crap.
I'll make some revisions tomorrow, and I'll include a way to dash through him. It's the Cleaver's shield's fault that's causing the damag. It doesn't receive damage knockback.
Working.

Luyren

But I don't know if anyone else pointed out the awful text choice?  It's legible and you get used to it, but it's really hard to read if it's more than a few words, and doesn't look so hot with the letters bleeding into each other and such.  It was especially noticeable in the opening paragraph explaining the premise.
Yeah. We just couldn't find a way to make the font Strasteo made into a useable file, so we grabbed that one from forge and we never bothered changing. We tried once, but couldn't find one we liked.

Other than than that, the walljump takes a bit of getting used to and didn't seem 100% intuitive, but I don't play these types of games much these days so other gamers might feel it's just fine.  I've gotten used to it by now though, so as long as a player sticks to the game through the learning curve, it's no big deal.

The save lamp didn't really do anything when I got to it, so I didn't know if I 'activated' it or not; I jumped over and around it a few times to see if it would do anything, but it didn't so I just moved on.  It worked when I died, but not having any indication (maybe a sound or a simple visual effect) left me puzzled at the time.
The save lamp does play a sound when you touch it.

Lastly, starting out with the sword, when I was forced into 'run-only' mode I found it almost completely uneffective; it was reeeally hard to kill things (at least the jumpy-monsters), and 90% of the time I'd just run into the monster and my sword's swing didn't do anything.  I've played through the intro maybe half a dozen times now, maybe more, and I haven't gotten any better with it; I'm always thankful when I finally get to the weapon shop, and switch to gun or shield.  I don't know if other people have the same difficulty with that or if the sword just isn't my weapon.

I know you guys are mostly finished with this game, and I'm excited to see more about the next project you're planning, but I thought that some extra feedback wouldn't hurt, so at least for next time, maybe it'd help out somehow ^_^ .  It's really, really impressive, and totally shows off what's capable with Stencyl and with a dedicated collaboration.  Definitely one of the best games on Stencyl so far!

<3 ali
And thanks for your time reviewing the game!
Working.

Jon

There are some uncharacteristically thoughtful comments on Kongregate. Very interesting stuff that mirrors some of what's already been said here. You should see if you can stay in contact with some and turn them into a private testing group for future games.

Luyren

Great idea. A private testing group would help avoid a lot of the problems we faced. >_>"

UPDATE TIME!

1- You can now fight the Cleaver using the shield without getting hit by doing so.
2- Now you can select if you want the auto-run option, or play at your own pace.
3- You're also given the option to start with the weapon you want.
4- Minor fixes here and there.

We updated on Kongregate, but Strasteo said he can only publish it as new, and is not given the option to republish here on the Stencyl site.
Working.