Does Stencyl make use of GPU acceleration?

avvi

EDITPerformance issue solved! Thanks Rob1121.
The problem was overlapping of hundreds of enemies, stacked outside the screen. (Enemies had wrongly set collision groups).
The topic's question still remains interesting for me.

=============================================

I get suprisingly low FPS with many actors on the screen. Actors are very lightweight and Simple Physics are used instead of Box.
What I read from the debugger is that the rendering slows the game down to a crawl - purely on the CPU side. The s

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 08:04:37 am by avvi »

dareek

I think Stencyl does not use GPU acceleration, yet.
For the slowing down game I would recommend short reading first:
http://www.stencyl.com/help/view/mobile-optimizing-performance/
From my short experience with stencyl I may say, that performance penalty is great if you do not kill actors that go off-screen.

Also, I believe, that posting stencyl files the way you did is not a proper way to let people check your code or gameplay problems. People may be scared to download cause of viruses etc. . I believe there is a Publish/Stencyl/Arcade menu for sharing projects with the community and looking for feedback and help.
http://www.stencyl.com/help/viewArticle/132
Check 'Publish to the Stencyl Arcade' part.

avvi

EDIT: The performance drop with just 50 lightweight actors on screen was my fault

=================================================

OK, I see. Putting the actors off screen probably wouldn't help, because they'are already on screen - 300 enemies. While they don't move, everything is fine, FPS are high.

But when ~50 enemies move at once, FPS drop to 3 ! It's completely bad for such a simple game.
I have some experience with HaxeFlixel. I got interest in Stencyl 3 again when I heard it uses OpenFL, which does GPU acceleration of sprites by default.

So I need to know, before I decide on porting the game with Stencyl:
Does Stencyl use some CPU-heavy custom blitting (similar to what the old Flixel did)
or
Is it super fast now but it's most likely my fault / bad design?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 08:00:07 am by avvi »

LIBERADO

(I am spanish, please excuse mi por english)

In my experience, it's a big limitation of Stencyl that reduces drastically its potential. I think it is a problem important enought to concentrate great efforts to fix it as soon as possible.
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

dareek

Maybe this will help to fight 300 enemies at once?
www.stencyl.com/help/viewArticle/163

avvi

Thank you. So she's basically doing custom drawing and custom movement, using cached positions. Clever approach!
Custom drawing is too hard to maintain for human enemies. But custom movement seems to  be worth trying.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 06:30:53 am by avvi »

rob1221

Also, I believe, that posting stencyl files the way you did is not a proper way to let people check your code or gameplay problems.
Yes it is.  It is the best way, and I very often ask to see sample games to figure out a problem.

Thank you. So she's basically doing custom drawing and custom movement, using cached positions. Clever approach!
That technique is outdated (minimal actors are better) and also uses blitting which you said you wanted to avoid.

As for your FPS problem, it's collisions, not rendering.  All your actors are set to collide with each other, which is bad.

avvi

Collision was the issue!  :o THANKS  :)