Lava Bird for iOS & ANDROID

Unept

Lava Bird for iOS (I'll add a link when it's in the app store)

iOS App Store
Google Play Store

Some of you may remember Lava Bird for the Flappy Jam a few months back. It was well received and was mentioned by Indiegames.com, Wired.com, and Giant Bomb among others. I was also pressed into making a mobile version. So I did. What a pain. No, I haven't been working on it every day for the past 4 months. I took a long break, then came back to it. Also I'm busy, and a perfectionist with little technical/programming experience.

The mobile game is solid AND way more fun AND my high score is still only 78 just like in Flash AND I've reached 78 TWICE on mobile but never surpassed it AND that's weird, right?

* FREE FIRST - It will probably be free for a few days so I can get quick feedback as well as not take money from you guys who convinced me to put it on mobile.
* THEN $.99 - Then I'll make it $.99 because it is definitely not a clone, has an unlockable level with completely new gameplay, and holy crap I've spent so much time on it my wife won't let me do this anymore if I don't at least take her somewhere elegant like Applebee's.
* IPHONE 4 AND UP - I've tested it on iPhone 4, 4s, 5, and iPad 2. Works a bit choppy on iPhone 4, but great on everything else. Should I worry about testing it on more devices?
* FEEDBACK - Let me know if screenshots look/read OK for app store. Also, when it comes out, I'd love feedback so I can refine/fix before I charge for it.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 08:59:37 am by Unept »
Unicycle Hero: iOS  |  Level With Me: iOS/Android  |  Hue Ball: iOS/Android  |  Lava Bird: iOS/Android   |   Disposabot   |   Twitter

Photon

YES PLEASE.

Welcome back from your mini vacation.

Also, are you still concerned about the Tiny Wings style of bird you have going there? Curious.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Unept

Since my birds are way uglier and look like they're flapping fricking airplane wings, I'm not concerned. I only feel a little bit bad that round birds are unoriginal.
Unicycle Hero: iOS  |  Level With Me: iOS/Android  |  Hue Ball: iOS/Android  |  Lava Bird: iOS/Android   |   Disposabot   |   Twitter

Unept

I submitted it to the app store 8 days ago. Still says "waiting for review." I'm patient, but curious how long it usually takes on average before a game is reviewed?

henson802

Keep us tuned in, I really enjoyed the flash version and found it to be much more unique then most clones.

It'll be interesting to see how your free version compares to the priced one.  There's a huge discrepency from Free to Paid from my experiences.  Best of luck!

Unept

It is now in the App Store!

Before I do my "marketing push" (spam friends and family), I would like you fellow stencylers to install it and test on your iOS devices. It works OK on iPhone 4, and works great on 4s and up. I've already found a couple little bugs:
- Sound button is misaligned on iPhones and disappears on iPad. (wtf)
- Leaderboard button needs to look disabled if you're not logged in to game center, or something.

Please play it, enjoy it, and quickly let me know if you see any problems! It's FREE for a short time!

App Store Link

colburt187

Great, Ive been waiting for this, Runs fine on my iPhone 4 none of the choppiness you mentioned. I think the icon and the screen shots a good, looks very professional. Love the way you have added a bit of comedy in the description, nice small file size too. Only complaint, are they fire balls slightly bigger? I think so, the condition is getting worse.

The Ice cave is a great addition, very tricky, finally beat in with shaky sweaty hands. The story is excellent, You actually got me laughing out loud at the stockpile bit, onwards to 30points now!

all onscreen buttons working fine.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:31:32 am by colburt187 »

Unept

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad it's working smoothly on your iPhone 4. YES, the fire balls are bigger. Everything is bigger, with less room. Since the platform is so different, I did quite a bit of squeezing and shaping to make it work on iPhone screens. I really like how it turned out. Also, I shrunk the collision boxes a bit, so you can edge past a fireball or a bird. I think it works well.

Photon

Noooooooo... I need iOS 7.1. WHY?!
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Unept

Huh?  It won't let you install unless you have 7.1? That doesn't sound right.

mat0pad

Huh?  It won't let you install unless you have 7.1? That doesn't sound right.
You probably set the target iOS for 7.1 and not 5.0

Photon

I'm running an iPhone 4 and I would basically have to clear over half my data if I understand it correctly just to download/install the new iOS. On top of that, I've heard it doesn't run very well/fast on iPhone 4.

Unept

@Photon, The next update should allow you to run the game on your iPhone. Should be a couple more days.

Would anyone like to give me feedback on icon styles? Initially I wanted the first one that just said, "Lava Bird," with the thought that there's an overabundance of little round bird icons. But then I realized that I could do a better job of showing what the game is like, even if it has little round birds. Thoughs?

henson802

@Photon, The next update should allow you to run the game on your iPhone. Should be a couple more days.

Would anyone like to give me feedback on icon styles? Initially I wanted the first one that just said, "Lava Bird," with the thought that there's an overabundance of little round bird icons. But then I realized that I could do a better job of showing what the game is like, even if it has little round birds. Thoughs?

Right - if you look at successful App icons , <most> have graphics and little to no text/title. 

Of those icons, I like the third one.

Good luck with it!