Lava Bird for iOS & ANDROID

ikomnen

I saw your post at Game Journals,about someone copying your game and at first i was thinking on issues like Mario vs Giana sisters,or Crush the Castle vs Angry Birds,but now when i see what this jerk did,...,wow.

And i am really not sure why are you going easy on him now:
" I'm not going to pursue it too hard, except ask him to remove the soundtrack and make a few more changes to the art. "
If it is true that he is newbie,like he said,that lame excuse doesnt give him right to keep on doing it.
If there is some way to remove or block his game until he changes all the art not to resemble yours,than let him do that and that way he can show that he understands the copyright issues and is honest.
Other than that i dont see how he can stop doing this again next time,and maybe he hits some jackpot with stealing someones work.

Just to say I am not fan of birds games,and the hype they make.
I am even developing some parody on them,but this is something completely different.
Resemblance is too obvious,features,mechanics,gameplay,colors,music,...,and it can not be coincidence.

ikomnen

And i didnt understand who did the graphics for his game?
Is it him,or he payed someone?
Anyway,it is impossible,that someone who is artist doesnt know that it isnt allowed to copy/paste something and use it for commercial purposes.

Here are some samples of copying games:
http://www.cracked.com/article_20057_5-insanely-successful-video-games-that-were-total-ripoffs.html
But in some of them,the graphics is changed,or storyline,added some features,...,and again some of them are being sued or embarrassed,and in your case,guy was even lazy to change the graphics.
If he was honest,he could contact you to sell him rights for publishing game to iOS,when he saw it as Flash game,but was obviously going for try to publish it before you...
And again,if he changed anything in it,but copied the game mechanics,i could understand,but this way,...

Unept

An interesting update: Until the past couple days, Lava Bird has averaged 3-5 downloads on the app store per day. I had given up on any real marketing push, and have instead been focusing on designing a more 'original' game. Then on Sunday I received 27 downloads, and yesterday I received 275 downloads.

I consider myself quite adept at using tools like Google to figure out the source of something like this. But so far, I can't find any articles/reviews, forums that have discussed Lava Bird in the past few weeks. I found that it is "featured" in the app store in Sweden, but in such an obscure spot I know it didn't add to any downloads. Any thoughts on why it would bump like this after ~2 months of stagnation? I'm curious.

@ikomnen - Thanks for your concern. You are correct, he did steal the game including music and nearly all game art. I'll pursue it further if it becomes a bigger problem, but I'd rather spend my time creating something a bit more original, that I can really call my own.
Unicycle Hero: iOS  |  Level With Me: iOS/Android  |  Hue Ball: iOS/Android  |  Lava Bird: iOS/Android   |   Disposabot   |   Twitter

henson802

Maybe a popular youtube'r gave it a shout out.. Getting featured though, regardless of where - will definitely garner a lot more downloads then usual.  Then as more people download, it gets higher and higher up the charts - more visibility = more downloads!

Congrats, hope it keeps climbing, that's great news!

Unept

So I finally got around to putting Lava Bird into Google Play Store. However, I have only tested it on a couple devices, so I don't know how it will look on the majority of phones/tablets. Please install it and let me know what device you have and how the game plays for you. Thanks!

The listing may not be available yet, but hopefully soon. Here's the link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unept.lavabird
Unicycle Hero: iOS  |  Level With Me: iOS/Android  |  Hue Ball: iOS/Android  |  Lava Bird: iOS/Android   |   Disposabot   |   Twitter