Making money with stencyl games

duke22122

Does anyone know if anyone actually makes any decent money with there games that were made on here? Like does anyone have any figures of what people make from IOS and Android store? or from ads?

Majora64

Thats a general question that cant rly be answered with a number. If your in this to make money then you will be disappointed quickly. Its all about the quality and effort you put into your game. How much your willing to sacrifice and put in to making it a success. Adding ads and IAPS are only a crutch to this equation but it all comes down to your game. You may become successful overnight but on the otherhand your game may make a fee bucks or close to nothing. Good luck!

Callan S

Gah...how many times have I head the 'you should throw hundreds of hours into a game so as to appease the priviledged tastes of gamers' line pitched?

It is worth thinking of how many hours you put in Vs return, instead of just telling people it's all about putting your heart into it for the sake of putting your heart into it.

Sorry to be slightly off topic, Duke. It's probably a good idea to look at various games on kongregate that identify themselves as a stencyl game. Roughly 16 views equals 1 cent.

Looking at flappy bird (quite possible to do in stencyl, of course), it's a matter of social networking or just plain luck that a popular blogger will 'champion' you, for massive popularity/views.

Majora64

Were on 2 different spectrums of it and that's cool. I think if you work hard, execute your game right, advertise and market accordingly, sprinkle a little bit of luck and you'll be good. Not saying this just to come off as a typical pitch I genuinely think it's true...making games isn't just luck. It isn't a gamble. There may not be a formula for success because it's what you define as success whether it be completing your game or making lots of money. For me idc about how many hours I've put into my game because if I'm counting then I'm already second guessing myself and to me, that's doomed for failure. Hours mean nothing to me. My game is done when it is done and when I feel I have put my heart into it. Cheers!

Callan S

And that undermines the market for other indies (and even to a degree for studios) in general, as gamers get far more (worker hours wise) than they deserve for what the developer gets.

The exuberant artist helps keep the starving artists starving.

I'm just a messenger, don't shoot me - it's just math. The more people who put out games without a care for hours simply raises the number of hours others have to put in to get breadcrumbs that are out there.

I'm pretty sure if writing games was like being a painter, ie you have to pay for paints and canvas, people would be less likely to ignore their own hours as part of the equation. Painters (who sell their works - and that's the topic here) take into account hours/effort spent along with material costs.

Majora64

Isn't that how things should be though? If you work hard then you deserve to reap the rewards...it should continually raise the standards that indies have to meet because it pushes them to have a greater goal. Shoot, if mediocre and helloworld games made tons of money people would think they wouldn't have to work anymore and that would completely demean the word "video game". but i  understand where your coming from..anyway, kinda off topic but im having an issue...maybe u can help me? http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,33580.0.html

Callan S

I didn't say you'd reap any rewards for putting in more hours.

Hours are like any other resource - if there is high supply of a resource, then it exceeds demand and people pay less for the resource, relatively. Put more hours 'out there' and you exacerbate this.

If all developers came from priviledged backgrounds, I might agree on not demeaning the word "video game". But a desire to preserve the integrity of the word at the expense of starving artists seems...well, it's putting ideals before people.

If you work hard then you deserve to reap the rewards
I feel only someone who is okay with counting their hours can say this legitimately. It's accounting - you can't be against accounting, but okay with it when it comes to getting something.

MiscEtc

I can't give you any figures, but I assure you people can and do make money from games made with Stencyl, just the same as someone making their game through other means.  Assuming you know what you're doing, you can make pretty much make any kind of 2d game, so you really don't need to worry about being held back by it.
Sorry to be slightly off topic, Duke. It's probably a good idea to look at various games on kongregate that identify themselves as a stencyl game. Roughly 16 views equals 1 cent.
Most flash game devs generally make most of theirmoney through sponsorships. The successful Stencyl-made flash games will be  indistinguishable from non-Stencyl made games.

Try checking out FGL if you're interested in making money off of flash or mobile games- https://www.fgl.com/view_library.php?page=developer-money

Most stencyl games seem to be made for flash or mobile, but desktop games are being developed too-http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,30809.0.html.

LIBERADO

Like does anyone have any figures of what people make from IOS and Android store? or from ads?
If you want encouraging figures, here they are:

http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,31702.0.html
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

duke22122

Thanks LIBERADO, thats what I was looking for.