New project "MOZE" / need passionate programmer > have a look here (SWF & pics)

Avanz

Hello there,

I'm Thomas Colin aka Avanz, French numeric artist and music producer in Paris.
You can firstly check my work on : avanzartbook.tumblr.com or https://www.behance.net/threeav
I already done a game like this before http://luorgame.free.fr/ with a lead programmer.

Well, I'm starting a new project that firstly began on paper during school lessons at the bottom of the classroom.
I thought about it for a long time, but I never started it because of the difficulty to make a game, even indie, but I really think that this game concept, especially on multi (coop/vs) would be really amazing.

I'm now looking for a Stencyl Programmer that know the language and know about making pretty complicated game engine, to have a strong and close professional relation with myself as the "graphic part".
If the results are greats, I will pay for this work, but I prefer to find somebody that believes in this kind of project, the goal is obviously to push it to the Appstore, Googleplay, make a Kickstarter, communicate on the project everywhere and well, play with the game of course.

The thing is called for now  : MOZE

The basic concept is in the title, it's a maze with a ball.
Let me explain the main things of the idea :

1. It's on a grid, made of cubes.
2. The player is a ball that starts of one of these cubes, he can choose 4 directions, if he chooses "up", the ball will go up and will not be able to do anything else until it meets an other cube.
3. in solo, the player only have to go to the exit, as a casual maze.
4. Each blocks would have his own proprieties and actions.

Example1 :  game in solo (really simple maze)
<a href="http://www.filz.us/files/e1cf76a9/bc6/Example1.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.filz.us/files/e1cf76a9/bc6/Example1.swf</a>

In multiplayer, things would turn amazing  :

1. Co-op system : use your partner as a proper block to create new way
2. hold "button block" to let your partner find a path to exit .
3. time challenge
4. huges mazes designed for 2 players with "keys block" and "doors block"

Example 2 : Event block deletes some other block to create new path

<a href="http://www.filz.us/files/a1d15f06/2ef/Example_multi.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.filz.us/files/a1d15f06/2ef/Example_multi.swf</a>

I'm aware that this project is a lot of work and code lines but I really think with a "more commercial" design, less squared/robotic, more familial with a strong identity can be the next Appstore star.

Now times, I'm seriously working on graphic identity (examples here are just made for the topic).
We already have many differents type of blocks, already designed and game-ready.
Of course everything here is open to critic and improvement.

Who I'm looking for :
Somebody who has strong skills in code (Stencyl or Actionscript or others...), who is interested by the concept and wants to make the complete game with me and my collaborator who's gonna make the website of the game.
Somebody who has ideas to improve the concept, and who has time to achieve them.

If you want to apply, please link us to an example of your work.

PS : The main concept is already "rights reserved" to INPI (french industrial concept rights protector).
It's a really serious project, so if you wanna apply, please do it with serious motivation.

Thanks in advance for your interest :)

Avanz

Photon

I'm pretty busy and I'm not necessarily interested in getting on board with a team project right now, but:

If the results are greats, I will pay for this work,
You might want to clarify what you mean by this, because it kind of sounds like you're saying you are only going to pay if you "like" the work that is done.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

SadiQ

The multiplayer part will be a massive pain to add for both you (the designer) and for the coder as well.

From the designer's perspective you'll have to find ways to balance the game.
What if a player doesn't figure out the proper path? That will frustrate both players at once. What if a player doesn't want to play properly?
Co-Op hasn't been done on these types of games probably because of those reasons.
Change the levels to allow the players to race against each other? You'll have problems designing levels and in the end you'll always frustrate the loosing player.

The coder will face problems of his own. He´ll have to add real-time multiplayer capabilities to your game which is not an easy task. There is no real-time multiplayer extension available in Stencyl so he'll have to create it from scratch. He´ll have to handle the server aspect, matchmaking, latency problems, add social networks services (ability to login with fb, challenge friends..etc) as you'll probably want those, leaderboards, achievements and so on.

To make matters worse, as Photon said, that coder will have to do all that knowing that he'll get paid if you "like" the result, so you'll have problems finding a REALLY good coder willing to help with the multiplayer aspect of your game.

Maybe focus on getting the single player version first, as you'll have better chances of  finding a coder and actually finishing your game.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Avanz

You both right, I'm only a graphic/level/character and animations designer, so I don't get naturally what you guys just told me.
So, correction : I will pay 50$ for the basic single player game engine that include :

- grid system with possibility to zoom in/out (20x20 to 100x100 for example)
- infinite tile-based movement for the player until meeting an other block
- properties of more or less 10 blocks already designed (with the possibility to add blocks myself in the future)

PS : SadiQ, you're talking in your signature of the nuggeta extension, is it possible to make a simple multiplayer engine without fb login, achievements etc...  ?

SadiQ

About the Nuggeta multiplayer extension from my signature...
Yes, it is possible to make a multiplayer game, with or without social logins, achievements and the likes, however (for now) that extension is only for turn based games, and it will add noticeable lag for (some/most) players should you wish to integrate it. (You could also use it for social logins, achievements...etc without the multiplayer part should you want to).
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Photon

So, correction : I will pay 50$ for the basic single player game engine that include :

- grid system with possibility to zoom in/out (20x20 to 100x100 for example)
- infinite tile-based movement for the player until meeting an other block
- properties of more or less 10 blocks already designed (with the possibility to add blocks myself in the future)
Let's estimate this and say I work on this game engine for 20 hours. That means I just made $2.50 per hour. That is, of course, granted it only takes 20 hours.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Avanz

Ok, I'm new here in the "code world" so I don't really know the price for this kind of work. Can you tell me what range of price would be fair for you guys ?

Photon

Honestly, I'm not sure I could give you a good estimate. I've never done this kind of work for pay. Someone else might be better suited to answering your questions.

Forgive me if my post was a little too brash; we get quite a few people through here who post hasty requests for work with little to no details and it gets kind of old. Your post is actually very well put together for the most part, listing past experience and showing pretty nice game mock-ups.

Avanz

Thanks no problem, it's normal to check if my project is serious or not, i'm actually making this project with a real attention as a "professional project". That means I can invest in it, but the main goal is to get aboard and make a really cool game with a serious team.
Still looking for someone :).

SlothInc