RTS

NobodyX

The beginnings of an RTS, put together in a few hours.

So far it has basic movement and fog of war.

Click to tell the army where to go, look around with the arrow keys.
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/7107

Hopefully it runs smooth?

coleislazy

Neat! Runs at ~35 fps with all knights on-screen.

chaosoul

Runs ~50fps the whole time while moving. Real impressive hope to see more soon
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

Nick

Thats great! do you think its possible to select individual units and move them around, and form groups from any amount of them etc. ?
(Nxzfreak) Check out my site <here> to see my portfolio and other things. =)

Currently working on Sinful Ash! (ARPG)

KungFuFurby

I'm giving you a round of applause. 15-20 FPS. ^_^

Indirectly, I think of First Queen for the SNES/SFC...

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:09:33 am by KungFuFurby »
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

Jon

Lightweight actor usage can make this 60 for most folks.

Rob

I got 30-35 fps using either FF or Chrome. Window XP. If I played this on both, fps will be halved.
GOLDEN RULE #1 : SAVE YOUR GAMES FREQUENTLY
IOS/XCODE DEBUGGING
http://www.stencyl.com/help/view/xcode-ios-troubleshoot/
WATCH STENCYLWORKS VIDEO TUTORIAL BY SUNRISEKINGDOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDfRfjzr9j4&feature=channel_video_title

UnknownNormals

Got an average of ~56 fps, great tech demo thing so far!

NobodyX

Thanks for the FPS's guys. Bah, I thought it would perform better, it runs 60 fps on my comp.

do you think its possible to select individual units and move them around, and form groups from any amount of them etc. ?
Not decided on infinite groups yet (probably will b/c it sounds easier to make) but that's the general idea.

Indirectly, I think of First Queen for the SNES/SFC...
I was looking for a good SNES RTS before, never heard of this one, I'll have to check it out sometime!

KungFuFurby

Well, on my end, I have an upper limit of around 30 FPS.

As for the First Queen game itself, well, it's Japanese, just to note.
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

NobodyX

New stuff!

Click and drag to select your units, click without dragging to command them to move. They automatically stop moving once they reach their destination.

Also the FPS is capped at 40. I think it should run smoother than last time. At some point I'll have to figure out what a reasonable amount of units should be when it's an actual game.

[edit]
 you can now use shift to add units to your current selection or ctrl to subtract.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:26:00 pm by NobodyX »

chaosoul

Cool update one problem I see with the dragging is when dragging onto the unknown spots of map never explored before the box disappears I would like it to be kinda faded like in fog of war spots.
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

Sunflower

NobodyX...

THIS IS AMAZING!

Really, the massive pathfinding you've done here works great, and on my computer it works with perfect 60 FPS, with 3ms update and 2ms render. Apparently you've just done what is the most complex thing in RTS games, maybe except AI. I would love to see such behavior on Forge, but it would be perfectly understandable if you didn't upload it; after all, it seems like something really complex. ^^'

Imalter

Great job! Is this behavior on StencylWorks?

NobodyX

I've since made the units detect nearby enemies and move towards them (not uploaded, so don't look for it). I guess next is attacking.

My goal, which I'm not saying that I'll stick to, is to make a full (but simple) RTS and release it in within 2 weeks. I think I'm doing pretty well so far.

Cool update one problem I see with the dragging is when dragging onto the unknown spots of map never explored before the box disappears I would like it to be kinda faded like in fog of war spots.
I haven't properly sorted the order in which things are drawn yet.

Really, the massive pathfinding you've done here works great,
Apparently you've just done what is the most complex thing in RTS games, maybe except AI.
Hahaha
The "pathfinding" is actually really simple. It just checks if the next space ahead on the grid between the unit and destination is blocked, if so then it adjusts it's direction 60 degrees and checks again a maximum of 3 times. So they'll only move around really small barriers, they won't find their way around walls.

I wasn't thinking of uploading it to Forge, but who knows.