Help Please with Full screen Function

Taden Games

Ok so i seen a tread just before on the same topic but it was out of date and didn't help

Im in the process of Creating a set of 20 Children Games using Stencly  "GREAT PROGRAM"

Anyways.. The problem is at this point of time it a Web base and Windows based games

Now in Full screen you can just press " esc" but ok the problem im having is the apps im creating is for young children that may or may not know what Esc does

So what im needing is a way to exit the Full screen and close the game "Maybe a Exit button"

Hopfully sombody could assit me i try a few ways but nothing seems to work keep getting error with my commands

sdieters

so basically you want to close your game?
My new profile is TheIndieStation.
When you see a recent post with this name, i'm probably using my phone. So dont mind any typo's =p

Taden Games

Yeah when in full screen mode

Taden Games

so what im is after creating a button on the our main menu for example "Exit" Once that button is clicked that game is closed and exited. beacuse while a Flash game is in Fullscreen with out knowing the command there is no way to exit it..
And my games are catered for young children age between 1-5years old.. Not all kids are going to know if the Press ESC on the keyboard that is going to close down the Flash game for them But if there is a way to code it to a button on the game it would be great...

MrWagoner

Hmmm... I know that you can add a code block to exit your game. (see code block in attachment, place it anywhere where you want the exit to be executed). BUT: this code block gives me an error when I run it under flash. :(

SecurityError: Error #2018: System.exit is only available in the standalone Flash Player.

The thing is evenyou find something to make it work, I'm not sure how the close and exit would be done technically: Assuming your game is embedded in a website, like Kongregate or Stencyl Arcade, do you really want to close the entire browser tab / window? That could also annoy the user if he wanted to surf onwards in this tab / window. I would prefer a "Exit Fullscreen" button in the main menu, then I could decide myself whether I want to close the browser or not.

Check out my newest game: Blowy Fish!

MrWagoner

I just browsed across the question and I think misunderstood you, sorry!  You also asked for a way for exiting fullscreen. To do so, use the toggle full-screen block. (see Attachment)

I just read exit and close and thought you wanted to close the entire window....

Taden Games

Thanks for the Reply... i will have to have a look into that Full screen mode Command...  the question still remands when it a standalone Desktop application will that "full screen toggle" work the same away? 

MrWagoner

From my experience, yes it should. I have just tested it under Windows OS with a small example game by binding it to a keypress, and I experienced that it was a bit botched when running it in test mode, because everytime I would press the key, stencyl would steal the focus away from the game. But when I executed the resulting exe without stencyl it worked prefectly, so I assume it will work correctly when you publish the game.

Taden Games

yeah i just done a test run and it needs to be binded to its own key where that key is not linked to anything eles..

But thank you so much for your Help.. 

check out  what we are working one and see if you can see anything we should work on

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/27410

MrWagoner

I just tried your game and finally I am able to count to twenty ;).

I noticed the following:

• On the cards you are using an " 's" where it is not neccessary, for example "Seventeen Duck's" "Eighteen Teddy Bear's" It is just "Seventeen Ducks", "Eighteen Teddy Bears and so on. One could also argue whether the first letter of the substantives would need to be written in lower case: In a whole sentence they would be written in lower case but these are learning cards and you could say that it is the "title of the card" and that's why they need to be in upper case. Unfortunately I am no native speaker, so I can't tell for sure.
  • The sound for the "next card button" sometimes plays twice, like a  double click
  • The arrows for the next card buttons look a bit like a "go backwards"-button on the first glance, because they have a curved shape. But this is only a very minor issue.
  • Do you have acquired the rights for using the pictures in this program? I'm asking because they look a bit suspicious like they come out of an image library or from google image search. This might become a minor or a major issue depending on where / how you want the game to be published. But if I'm wrong everything is ok of course ;)

MrWagoner

Oh and I forgot:

Some kind of "quiz mode" would be cool where the player has to answer correctly afterwards: Screen shows 5 mice - How many mices? and then it displays some buttons with right / wrong answers.

Taden Games

Yeah i have a had a lot of different response to the way thing are written.. Now all depends on what country you side from
will depend on what you where taught.. It is a hard industry to crack to cater the teaching ability too children when all children are taught different in some shape or form.. and for the Image there is no copy write against them there all cover and been checked over..  some people will differ where they come from.. But coming under common law anything that is posted on-line without a watermark or (C) on the image is aloud to be used even for resale.. It states in the law if people dont wish is to be used they need to state it on the image...

Thanks for your Response i will keep that idea you said in mind sounds good and give the Child/player a break from the "STUDYs"

Also at this point in time we are working on making them all Individuals games then working on about 5 that adds a few into the one Game.. For example  Number, ABC, Shapes, Into one game where they can choice which game they want to attend