[WIP] Koopaball! Your feedback please :-)

arjunr24724

Hi

I've been experimenting with Stencyl and made this arcade type game, call it Koopaball for now.
It's a simple single-click interaction game.  Just have the initial mechanics setup for now.
Please give your feedback.

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/27587

Thanks

mormord

I'm not sure I got the aim of the game. Clicking around aimlessly results in a lots of koopaballs and some of them will reach the multiplier of 250 (or possibly more). Whenever a fireball spawns it instantly hits a koopaball (usually with a multiplier) and disappears. The princess wanders around bored again, because there is no real chance of losing this way.
I stopped playing at score 821.

I would suggest to develop something that prevents the player from spamming balls and reaching insane multipliers (btw what is counted? I'm sure the princess didn't kick that shell 250 times).

I'mmore interested in how you optimised it! Very low frame rate drop even for A LOT of Koopaballs, good work

arjunr24724

I'm not sure I got the aim of the game. Clicking around aimlessly results in a lots of koopaballs and some of them will reach the multiplier of 250 (or possibly more). Whenever a fireball spawns it instantly hits a koopaball (usually with a multiplier) and disappears. The princess wanders around bored again, because there is no real chance of losing this way.
I stopped playing at score 821.

I would suggest to develop something that prevents the player from spamming balls and reaching insane multipliers (btw what is counted? I'm sure the princess didn't kick that shell 250 times).

Well, its just a game mechanic for now. The idea is to put the ball in her path and get her to kick it into a fireball. Every kick increases the multiplier. So to get high scores you want her to kick the balls multiple times. Meant to be a casual game, probably suited to mobiles (just tap away at the screen).

The collision between princess and ball is incrementing the ball's multiplier. However, there seems to be some situations where continuous collision is incrementing it. I need to figure out if disabling continuous collsions will stop that from happening.

Point noted about spamming. Each level will probably have a fixed number of balls to spawn, with bonus balls in some conditions. More difficult levels will have the fireballs spawn with a random velocity.
Will also limit fireballs spawning near koopaballs.

I'mmore interested in how you optimised it! Very low frame rate drop even for A LOT of Koopaballs, good work

Nothing really. I just spawn with the usual parameters and ensure the actor is killed properly. I think Stencyl is handling it on its own. So kudos to the dev team :-)