stencyl vs gamesalad issues?

starcat

my friend just showed me stencyl and so far i like what i see..  what i want to know is, game salad has TONS of memory issues preventing me from making any decent games,  are these memory issues existent in stencyl?

in game salad if i spawn a bullet and the bullet gets destroyed, it still exists in the memory because they dont dump the memory correctly, meaning i cant make a game with a lot of bullets because eventually the game will crash.

gigaclon

no with stencyl you can make recycled actors where you only have as many actors as are on the screen at the same time.

airman4

I think the best is to ask here if your game is "do-able" ?
you should expose your game ideas or at least the gameplay ideas(ennemies, how many heroes we play etc etc), expose all that the most complete possible and then they gonna answer you.

also they do a llot of updates it seems, so just ask.

SWATLLAMA

Gamesalad: Only for macs, is FREE, and harder to use.
Stencyl: Can do flash games, can  be xported to .exe or the equvilant for whatever operating system you use, and with iStencyl, can make iOS games. More powerful, but is NOT free.

Choose your pick. Gamesalad does have many flaws that stencyl has, but it's free.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

starcat

I think the best is to ask here if your game is "do-able" ?
you should expose your game ideas or at least the gameplay ideas(ennemies, how many heroes we play etc etc), expose all that the most complete possible and then they gonna answer you.

also they do a llot of updates it seems, so just ask.

im not concerned weather the game is "doable" im asking about the technical aspects of the program and its memory usage and how it stores and gets rid of memory.

airman4

starcat

Ok, sorry.

SWATLLAMA
Didnt knew , we can export in .exe
that's great!

starcat

starcat

Ok, sorry.

SWATLLAMA
Didnt knew , we can export in .exe
that's great!

not trying to sound rude, but maybe you should be a bit more experienced in the program before you answer help questions

starcat

no with stencyl you can make recycled actors where you only have as many actors as are on the screen at the same time.

thats probably the most confusing statement ive ever seen lol..

can you rephrase or explain that?

Darkhog

Gamesalad: Only for macs, is FREE, and harder to use.
Stencyl: Can do flash games, can  be xported to .exe or the equvilant for whatever operating system you use, and with iStencyl, can make iOS games. More powerful, but is NOT free.

Choose your pick. Gamesalad does have many flaws that stencyl has, but it's free.

To clarify: Flash version of stencyl which will either display small logo in preloader or splash is 100% free. What isn't free is iStencyl, but it isn't available yet either and I'm sure that when Jon and rest of Stencyl Team will earn enough money from it, it'll be free too.

EXE export is doable by making flash projector. First you need to download standalone Flash Player (Flash Projector) - you can get one from adobe site, then export your game to SWF, then open game in Flash Player (not in browser!) and click File→Create projector (this may vary, because standalone FP is localized and will be in your language). Then you'll save exe file.

There are no impossible things. There is only lack of skills.
Don't click this if your computer has less than 641 kilobytes of RAM.
Stencyl stencyling stencylish stencylers :D

Jon

It's not really my place to comment on our competitor's flaws. I didn't write it after all. ;)

But based on your description that constantly creating and destroying actors will drain memory, that is not a problem for us in either our Flash or iOS runtime, and if such kinds of things are discovered, we'll fix them.

To be clear on our stance about whether iStencyl is "free" - there will at a minimum be a "free" product that lets you develop your entire game out, as long as you don't publish to the store. Case in point: You won't have to pay or be timebound to develop your game with us while you're deciding whether to jump for it or not.

starcat

awesome.. i think i just switched to stencyl perminantly.. im so angry at gamesalad because they have SOOOO MANY issues with the engine and they just got a 7 million dollar grant and dont seem to be upgrading the software at all.  so i think you guys just got a new customer.

also jon do you guys have anything coming like Tables and arrays?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:56:37 am by starcat »

coleislazy

Stencyl supports arrays via Design Mode as List Attributes. You can also insert AS3 code if you need to do more advanced things with them (multidimensional arrays, for example).

starcat

im not quite sure what that means.. but lets say i want to make a card game like.. pokemon. i have cards and i have all the art for my own card game. but what was stopping me was tables and arrays.

i basically only need, shuffle the deck, and snap-to, placing cards on the game grid, things like that. since the game will have to be player enforced

coleislazy

There are several users working on card games right now. I'm not sure what the status is, but it sounds like what you need is certainly doable with StencylWorks.

You could use a List attribute to represent the deck, getting a random item from the List each time you need to draw a card, then removing the item from the List.

For snapping to a grid, you'd have to work with the X and Y coordinates of the Actors (cards) in the scene, using math to enforce the grid.

starcat

excellent.. my game has been in the works for WAY too long.

www.legacytcg.com

and its finally time to give it some life.