Where are get an inspiration?

1MrPaul1

As I think, game creators, as all artists needs an inspiration for making games. So... Where are you getting an inspiration? May be some concret games or movies? Especially interesting to know opinion of professionals, who already long time in this business.
Today, I'm playing "vectorman2" and I think it was prototype of "run and gun" kit game :) this is game of 96 year but so many ideas I found there...

Hectate

From everything. Really.

I recently had an idea that combines a well-known core game concept with a well-known movie franchise. If I had time I'd have already started on it. I'd be more specific, but I've not announced it yet officially.

I also had an idea that mixes Choose-Your-Own-Adventure type play on the web with Alternate Reality Games and a little cyberpunk thrown in for good measure. I would have started on this one also, if I had time :).

For me, the key point is that I'm such a daydreamer that I always think to myself "What if..." and I find myself making a game out of it. Sometimes I give myself specific restrictions or guidelines, like "What can I do if I only have one button, or no buttons?" or "What would it be like to mix Canabalt with Angry Birds? Can I make it fun?"

The best tip though, always be ready to write (or type) your ideas down. I get them all the time and if I don't write them down right away, I'll forget them. The next day will find me sitting there, wishing that I could remember what awesome thing I'd thought of yesterday because surely it was the one Big Idea that I'd ever had and now I'd lost it. Don't hesitate! Day or night, awake or dreaming, ideas are fleeting things.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

chaosoul

Iono usually i just play around on some of the newer games on kongregate and see what they have. Its more to relax myself rather than get ideas but it works for me.
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

ICLHStudios

From everything. Really.
Seconded, I've gotten game ideas of varying levels of fleshed-outedness from a thick carpet, a bumpy wall, a large floor fan, a vague memory of a very specific cool picture I saw in a dinosaur book when I was little, a circular touch ring thingie on someones MP3 player, and numerous dreams among other things.
Go here to begin reading my fantasy webcomic, updated every Thursday: http://fav.me/d674ji2

1MrPaul1

Agree with you Hectate, first thoughts usually most right... and we need to learn how to remember this thoughts. And, it seems that you really have many ideas :) but always this problem, to many ideas and too little time... you have all those ideas for next games, but on what project are you working now, where are you get the power to be on the work?
Yeah ICLHStudios, undertand you, yesterday, was in dentist cabinet, and when she bore my tooth, I saw metal boxes on her table, and now I know how must look supplybox in my game... :D

NobodyX

I think ideas are really easy to come by so long as you don't have too high expectations. For example, if you have the attitude of "anything will do" then you'll get cool ideas all the time, but if you scrutinize every idea to death ("this idea sucks, that idea is stupid" or "I'm going to make a masterpiece, I need only the best ideas ever") then they'll stop coming.

Hectate

I was in the mall today, eating lunch in the food court, when I had an idea for a brawler like Fear Is Vigilance but with upgrades and achievements. The best part is that you're playing as one of those people that stand around handing out samples. There's tons of potential in this... I love it!
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

1MrPaul1

Yeah, thats true, too much of anything it's always bad. And of cause Euphoria makes us blind.
But may be sometimes we need to be blind for continue making innovative projects when everybody around saying to you that you can't that it's impossible etc...
I always get an inspiration when watch and play blizzard games, and love conception of this company - "to make only best games, and not publish it, before game will be perfect"

Grimreaper

3rd on everything and anything dreams heck even a weird shape of a shadow on a wall.
I got a big game I want to make to combine all kinds of ideas which is an rpg and I got that from putting all kinds ideas together in my head from games online to dreams to my front yard.
And then I played the game out in my head and realize I wanted it bigger and badder, but realize it won't happen for a long time I don't have the knowledge of stencyl to build it to the degree I want it to be.
The ninja game I'm working on was just a blank game pet project just something to do on the side then poof out popped a ninja in my head and everything fell into place when I messes with the physics engine.
Now the ninja game is growing bigger and bigger everyday and I usually keep a spiral notebook handy because I can't keep up with my brain.
yesterday is a memory tomorrow is a vision, but today its a b_tch.