Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

3D Flight Simulator - Musical Trade Route

ceosol

I started working on a post comp version of MTR. I already have a free piano mode on newgrounds and android. Another thing I want to add is an ability to go up and down octaves. I don't know how many octaves I will have in there, yet. To to start, I made a quick animation of an octave HUD in the upper left. The mini piano stretches and spin when you go up or down. I also changed the design of the ship.

Oh yeah, I pinched the star streaks so they come out of a center point.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 02:20:06 pm by ceosol »

ceosol

After a long while working on other projects, I revisited this one to add new content. I started off by adding in octaves for the piano. I only put in 5 octaves, but I think it is a neat addition. To access octaves, you need to click+drag to the right or left. Another way is to press up and down arrow keys. The arrow keys seem to be a smoother transition.

I have the test version looping through the flight and the playback for now until I come up with better enemy designs. You can always play the LD version in the arcade, on newgrounds or on android (just search for ceosol).

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/28475

Let me know what you think :)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:25:50 pm by ceosol »

ceosol

I started working on the details of the full game. Since I always just dive into a game and then lose myself along the way, I think trying a planned approach might be better.

I am going to have 3 game "modes":

1. Hyperspace (for lack of a better name right now) - This will consist of playing the piano-ship to fight asteroids, enemy ships and bosses. This is what the ludum dare MTR compo game was about.

2. Space - You will again be flying around as the piano ship, looking for the hyperspace jump points to get to the next planets. I'm thinking the flight will be 2D, and play like the old asteroids game. Except if you encounter an enemy, it will take you into the "hyperspace" type scene (without the moving stars). There, you will fight the enemy ship. Once you beat the ship, your song will be the new song playing in the background. I'm thinking of having wormholes shunting you to different sectors of space via the "Beneath your House" mechanic (http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/26066). I am not quite sure how that will go over, though.

3. Ground - You will be able to walk around the ship and the different planets you visit. This will be 2.5D type style. Your weapon of choice will be a guitar. I think I have the mechanics of the guitar figured out in my head, but not finished for practical use. As you walk around the scenes, you will encounter enemies and go into a combat scenario - like the space fights. Instead, you will be strumming your guitar. After combat, you will have your guitar song as the background music.

What people seemed to like about the original MTR was the music playback and that music was the weapon (as in music had power). I want to stay true to that for the full game. :)

ceosol

I started a facebook page for MTR. I don't know if that will be productive or a time waster :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Musical-Trade-Route/371377316355409

Skills so far:

Piano
1. Playback - This allows you to hear your song playing while outside of combat. It will be the first piano skill you develop.
2. Octaves - You can get up to five octaves.
3. Damage - Increases the amount of damage your notes do to enemy ships.
4. Speed - You will start with a slow keystroke. Speed will let you get to eighth and sixteenth notes.

Guitar
1. Playback - Same as the piano skill, but for the guitar.
2. Strings - You will be able to increase the number of strings on your guitar.
3. Speed - Same as the piano skill, but for strumming the guitar.
4. Octaves - You can get up to three octaves.

ceosol

I had started making this ship design for a different game, but it is now going to be absorbed into MTR. It will be changed around a little to make it closer to the piano ship, but the general layout will be the same. When you are in space, you will be able to go between the internal and external views.

ceosol

I'm not sure which model I like more for my main character.

EDIT, someone on twitter said that they like the left one. I tend to agree :)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 02:12:33 pm by ceosol »

ceosol

Made my first ever animated thinga-ma-bobber. I was having trouble with the front foot coming down in a natural motion.

ceosol

I made your so called "hand-to-hand" weapon. I'm naming it Apollo. Apollo will be your companion on the journey. He will give you some background on the planets/systems that you are entering. I don't have his entire story created, so I'll have to play it by ear on how much information he will actually provide. He is also your weapon. When you are walking around and get into a fight, you will grab Apollo and start jamming.

I made the animation for pulling the guitar with just the guitar. I couldn't figure out how to make the pieces of the guitar become one solid object, so I had to keep them separate. I think I will just animate the hand reaching back and then coming forward. Hopefully I can match up the motion for the two :)

The only thing I will need to animate after that is the fight scene with you strumming the guitar.

ceosol

I'm remaking the piano ship so I can have a unified graphic between each of the game modes. I need to add more windows to it, but here's what I've got so far. It is called Sin Falta X. Sin falta is Spanish for without fail. I added in the roman numeral ten to make its initials SFX :)

I will need to redesign the ship's interior, but that is not so difficult as I have not made all of the scenes for it. I got the main character on to the map. He's a little buggy with walls since the scenes were made with a different character in mind.

Once you clear the initial questline on your planet (basically you will have a tutorial on how to fight and move and such), you will be tasked with going out among the worlds to open up the trade routes. The SFX will be the ship you captain. You will have quests on board the ship in addition to your main quest lines.

EDIT: Added in a close-up of the turrets I was just working on. It is not coincidence that they resemble speakers :)

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:14:17 pm by ceosol »

ceosol

I just added in some new graphics to the flight test. http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/28475

The coolest thing is right when it starts, the turrets "deploy". This will be the conversion from regular flight mode to attack mode. I need to change the notes and the regions for the keys, but this update was more about the graphics :)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:25:18 pm by ceosol »

ceosol

I have my first mini-cutscene done. http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/28475. It just repeats every 10 seconds.

That is the starting world, Seasaw (how my brother pronounces Ceosol). Now that I've had my fun playing with graphics for a bit, I am going to get back to gameplay. The first order of business is implementing some of the "game feel" tactics for shooter games. I'm going to have many more faster enemies with less hitpoints. I'm also going to look into having a secondary sound track recorder for two notes at a time. I haven't quite figured it out in my head, but I have some ideas.

For those too lazy to click the link, here's a screenshot :)

ceosol

Almost done on the updates. I want to do a couple more things before releasing a new version of the demo. So far the asteroids spawn timers have been reduced and their speed increased. On the plus side, their hitpoints have been reduced and you can hit keys twice as fast. Octaves are in there, but do not have a purpose, yet, other than sounding pretty :)

ceosol

I added in a ship fight to liven things up. It is the first new enemy since the games creation during LD. I am working on the AI for the enemy. I don't want it to be an impossible fight, but you should get banged up a little :)

ceosol

I took a few days off from working on this. I have just a few more details left on my checklist before releasing new content. The changes will be:

Faster spawn/speed of asteroids
Less hp and damage of asteroids
Faster note-bullet fire rate (still works on recording the song)
Chance to half a free ride between planets (i.e. can play a song or skip it)
A chance to fight a miniboss ship (the chance goes up at higher difficulty planets)
New launch animation
New turret deployment animation at the start of a stage

I'll be putting it on Newgrounds, the Stencyl Arcade, Android and hopefully on iOS (although that might be a few days later).

ceosol

Almost forgot to update the meteor animation :)