Game Art Suggestions & Feedback [Updated art style]

Max Finch

Hey guys!

Both me being sick and this stupid pixel art character has been killing me this past week. In fact game progress has stopped completely because I find him so plain and boring that I feel bored with the entire game (Or something like that). Basically I'd like some advice, help, mockups, anything to help me create the right character for this game. It's my first time in pixel art and so far everything but the character is going right...

This is my main character so far:

I don't know why but I feel he's just so... boring. Like I'm missing something or maybe something needs to be fixed/added.

Here he is in a screenshot of the game (WIP):

I'm not sure where to go from here. When I initially created him he worked but as I continued to work on the game something changed and I no longer think he works with the project.

In the game you basically jump to avoid spikes, that's it. Not gonna say much more but I do plan on releasing it to Flash, iOS, Android, and the Amazon Store in the middle of this month.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what to do?

What if I made him some sort of flightless bird (Chicken, Penguin, Ostrich,???) Or what if I stuck with what I had and did.... IDK, That's where my writers block kicks in.

I'm open to any ideas!

-Max

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 03:58:50 pm by Max Glockling Games »

Photon

What kind of atmosphere are you going for here? I feel like I can't gather quite enough from the in-game pic you've supplied.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Max Finch

The atmosphere of the game is very much like Flappy Bird and Swing Copters..

Basically I'm kinda going for a simple pixel art - addicting - easy to play sorta deal.

It's got a touch of fez in the art design as well if that answers your question?

If you would like I could post the current progress here on stencyl and remove it later when this all gets fixed up?

Here is the current progress.... [Removed Link]

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 08:55:54 pm by Max Glockling Games »

Photon

Well, when I look at Flappy Bird and Swing Copter as a reference, one of the things I notice is that both main characters have at least two colors they are working with (in different shades). Your character right now has only one, and its not a very bright color either. In that regard I feel like the player needs a little more to look at... a bit more contrast and detail, if you will, but in that pixel art "less-is-more" kind of way. For me, what makes pixel art so cool is how its minimalistic detail gives just enough but kind of leaves the player to fill in the gaps. There has to be a solid base to get them started, though.

I think what strikes me the most is the difference in detail with the scene in general. You've got a rather straightforward player, ground, sky and what-have-you, but those trees are much higher on detail than everything else. Put it all together and it doesn't seem to fit quite right to me.

On that same note, I feel like those big earth eyes really clash with the rest of the game's style because they look like they are a different scale than everything else. The player seems a little out of scale with the rest of the game too.

So those are my thoughts. Hope it helps you figure things out.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Max Finch

Good points.

I like those eyes though! But I agree.

I'll probably work on some sketches this afternoon and see what turns up with it.

Photon

I like those eyes though! But I agree.
To be honest, I actually feel kind of torn about the eyes, despite the potential scaling issue. :P

Maybe there's a way to touch it up and make it "fit in" better.

Max Finch

I actually plan to scrap them with a new sketch I'm working on.

ikomnen

I agree on Photon`s observations,and few more to add:
 - You can easily try to remove 2 out of 5 trees on scene,so there are 3 tree`s left.
3 is btw considered magic number in art since it breaks symmetry,but for this platform and screen size,i think it is obvious trees are squeezed and that is also the reason why they look like more detailed,it is kind of illusion,since there is a lot of them.
- Eyes look scary but fun also,maybe you can add some evil smile bellow them when player is killed?
- Player is biggest mistery to me,looks kinda confused and indecent,haha.
But dont have much ideas for him,since i dont see some story here,and i make most of my games story to development,not contrary.
- Also if possible to add in coding - start first with one obstacle only,in the middle,so player can learn the mechanics and make at least one easy jump.
Later is also sometimes obstacle very close to player in start,and difficult to react,or at least for me,but those games are going on the annoying factor,so you are on the right track,haha.

Btw all of these are my opinions only,no hard feelings,i make games also,so like to analyse others,and I have also started working in pixel art couple of days ago,so i now exactly how you feel,haha.
cheers

Max Finch

I agree on Photon`s observations,and few more to add:
 - You can easily try to remove 2 out of 5 trees on scene,so there are 3 tree`s left.
3 is btw considered magic number in art since it breaks symmetry,but for this platform and screen size,i think it is obvious trees are squeezed and that is also the reason why they look like more detailed,it is kind of illusion,since there is a lot of them.
- Eyes look scary but fun also,maybe you can add some evil smile bellow them when player is killed?
- Player is biggest mistery to me,looks kinda confused and indecent,haha.
But dont have much ideas for him,since i dont see some story here,and i make most of my games story to development,not contrary.
- Also if possible to add in coding - start first with one obstacle only,in the middle,so player can learn the mechanics and make at least one easy jump.
Later is also sometimes obstacle very close to player in start,and difficult to react,or at least for me,but those games are going on the annoying factor,so you are on the right track,haha.

Btw all of these are my opinions only,no hard feelings,i make games also,so like to analyse others,and I have also started working in pixel art couple of days ago,so i now exactly how you feel,haha.
cheers

Yeah no worries I can take negative feedback well as long as it's constructive.... (Insert non-constructive negative feedback story here)

But yeah, I've gotten into pixel art recently as well. I usually do vector as you'll see in my other flash games. I find that it can be quite the pain in the ass when it comes to time consumption and trying to achieve perfection but if done right the results can be quite outstanding.

I've actually started work on sketching out a new theme idea. Hopefully everyone can relate to counting sheep when we're trying to sleep as young kids right? It's going to be based around that idea.

ikomnen

Sounds great,i also had some idea on it long time ago,but just counting them and sleeping player that way.
Not sure what are you going to add in it,again spikes and killing them?
I think it can go well by just jumping the fence without some violence in it,but can be fun if you put them into some meat factory they are trying to escape maybe,...,anyway cant wait to see it.

Max Finch

Lol no meat factories

Max Finch

Is rotating pixel art a wise idea?

Max Finch

What do you guys think of my sheep?

Max Finch

Yeah I'm not doing pixel art. I just can't do it right. Time for some new ideas.

pyxelbit

This is Herbert.
Herbert likes jumping over fences and hanging out at Starbucks.