A Second Leap of Faith!

Epic428

After much progress in the past few days/weeks, Ethan and I felt it would be a great idea to announce that we are prematurely releasing a sequel to the first game "A Leap of Faith." This time we have revamped the graphics as well as the engine.

Introduction

Basically, your goal is to get the Frog King to the stars on every level. However, you will have to traverse through many challenging puzzles to make your way to the end. Along the way, you will encounter two different types of switches for turning colored blocks ON and OFF. You will use moving platforms to travel to places you normally couldn't jump to. Checkpoints along the way will help you should something catastrophic happen throughout your journey. You will meet evil demons, known as spikes, that will attempt to stop you in your tracks. And, finally, you will collect lost coins along the way.

Controls

LEFT and RIGHT will change the direction of your jump.
Hold SPACE to increase/decrease the power of your jump.
Press DOWN when on a moving platform to activate it.
Press H to enable/disable permanent HUD ( power meter and direction indicator )

Notes:

1. The options menu is not functional
2. The credits menu is not functional
3. There are some textual errors that need to be fixed.
4. There is no sound
5. The Hidden (denoted by a questionmark) level doesn't exist, so will you not progress to it.
6. It will play the first level if selected from the menu screen.
7. Only tutorial levels are available.
8. The missing button on the menu bar will become an Options button.
9. We are planning on implementing a pop up dialog for when the level ends, instead of just progressing to the next level.
10. There is the possibility to fall off a moving platform while it is in motion due to hitting other objects along the way.
11. I don't know if this will be corrected or not.
12. The checkpoint block will get a new makeover.
13. The jump/fall animations will hopefully be enhanced to be smoother.

Requests

Because we have no sounds in this game, and my library unfortunately has not one sound useful for the game, we are asking that if anyone has any sounds that would fit this game, if they would mind providing them. Any submissions that fit in well with the game will be given credit to in the credits screen.

Examples of sounds needed: Jumping, coin collection, victory, platform motion, switch/double switch, checkpoint, background music, maybe menu sounds?

Bugs

At this time, I am unaware of any bugs that have not already been mentioned. A minor bug could be that even though the player and all objects are given a friction value of 1, the player still slides when leaping long distances.

Feedback

We greatly appreciate any constructive feedback provided, whether it be good or bad. Not obtaining this feedback would be detrimental to our progress and our success. So we encourage anyone and everyone to provide their feedback on our game.

We are planning to enter this game into the competition.

Thank you for your support! And as always the link: http://www.stencyl.com/v10/game/play/2000

Edit: updated game to have locked levels show as locked.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 11:49:36 pm by Epic428 »
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

Epic428

A bug I just found is that the second level for some reason doesn't show as unlocked when you go to the main menu. I will fix this.

Also, I plan to add in arrows with an effect to point out each topic of the tutorial. i.e. an arrow will point to moving platforms, coins, checkpoints, etc.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

Epic428

I have now implemented Pointers to make the tutorial topics more obvious. If anyone can come up with a better effect for them I'm all ears. Also I fixed the bug that prevented level 2 from being "unlocked" I had some code out of order.

Darkhog

Epic, could you replace space with Z (or add it as secondary control)? Because due to my troubles with space-scrolling I can't play games which uses it (at least on Stencyl site).

There are no impossible things. There is only lack of skills.
Don't click this if your computer has less than 641 kilobytes of RAM.
Stencyl stencyling stencylish stencylers :D

Rhys

I loved the original, can't wait to see what you do with this one.

Epic428

I can add in the option for you to use the Z key, DH. I don't think I will document it in-game though, as it will only be to accommodate players on Stencyl website.

Thanks Rhys! We appreciate your support!

Blackbishop, could you explain in more detail about the funkiness of the controls and what you are experiencing?

Just to give you some insight on why this particular jumping engine was used:

The way this is set up is, it's a platformer take on some of the "Launch the ...", "Bloons", "Cannon" games, where you take your time to make sure that the jumps you make are precise, but also so that player frustration is served due to the choices they make and not because of pro-grammatical errors, or a flawed design.

Compared to the first two engines we built for this game, this engine accommodates the best of both worlds. It is designed to give the player maximum control over the jump, such as height and distance. It also gave us the ability to design the engine so that the only way to move is by jumping.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 09:49:32 pm by Epic428 »

Darkhog

Epic, I'm not sure if this is only Stencyl site thing... I remember I've experienced this on some sort of flash game site (though I don't remember which, but it was one of major flash sites)

//edit: I've remembered, this was freeonlinegames.com. Also 2dplay.com is affected.

There are no impossible things. There is only lack of skills.
Don't click this if your computer has less than 641 kilobytes of RAM.
Stencyl stencyling stencylish stencylers :D

Epic428

I modified the published version to allow use of Z key for those who may have issues with SPACE.

I also corrected the slight textual errors that I mentioned above.

I am kind of at a loss as to the sounds that should be used in this game. I found a few I could possibly throw in, however, I feel that they don't mesh well with the rest of the game. If anyone comes across any good ones they think would work well for this, I'd like to hear about them.

Ethan

To everybody who said they liked the graphics- I made everything but the awesome menu graphics (and power meter that I couldn't do), so thanks!

Illlustrator makes making pretty things a lot easier- you'd be surprised.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 01:21:15 pm by Ethan »

KungFuFurby

Here's some possible SFX to get you started. I've got seven SFX:

1. Jump
2. Switch
3. Machinery (you could use this as a looping SFX for the platforms)
4. Collect Coin
5. Checkpoint
6. Victory/Level Complete
7. Platform Vanish

Get the collection!
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

Epic428

Hey KungFuFurby, thanks for the sounds! I uploaded a new version of the game with the sounds you provided.

I think the jump sound should be changed, I've been kinda looking for a cool "Ribbit" sound to replace it with, but the ones I found all seemed too realistic and not so cartoonish.

I'd like more of a click-click sound for the switch, like a shotgun being cocked type sound. And for the platform I was looking for more of a low rumble, considering the screen shakes when it moves.

Anyway, they are more so my nitpicks of the sounds, where as the rest of them seem to work well with the game.

The machinery sound is the only one in the game currently that may destroy your ears, because it continues to play it, rather than loop it. I need to find a better way to loop the sound, without having "Stop All Sounds" kill the ambient BGM that I would eventually like to see in this game.

Anyway, thanks again KFF!! I'll be sure to add your name to the credits, hopefully if you wouldn't mind, you know of some replacement sounds for the ones mentioned above.

KungFuFurby

Did you mean this for a jump sound? Found this online via findsounds.com and converted it to MP3.
Ribbit (jump)

Also, two bonus death SFX: one for falling into a bottomless pit, and one for hitting a spike.
Hit Spike
Fall into a Bottomless Pit
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.

Epic428

I like the Ribbit. It sounds a lot better than the ones I found on Freesound.org

The hit spike I will have to see in action, but I like the fall in pit sound. Thanks a lot!

Lol As I'm sure you can tell, sounds are one thing I'm not very good with. I'm not very good with audio programs, and everything I listen to online just doesn't feel right. Sometimes, I feel like it is easier to have someone who's more familiar with this area of expertise to see what works best.

Anyway, thanks again for your help, we certainly appreciate it!

Epic428

Just to note: I did update the game again with the newest sounds provided. I'd like to get feedback on these as well in case something doesn't mesh with the game well.

Oh and to solve the Platform sound issue, I basically play the sound every time the platform moves 16 pixels. It seems to work well with the length of the sound. I think I would still prefer a more low and rumbly noise like an earthquake.

KungFuFurby

Wish granted. Also got a replacement switch and double switch SFX.

Move Platform
http://www.box.net/shared/zpso2fb8jm

Switch
http://www.box.net/shared/iam1x90ft2

Double Switch
http://www.box.net/shared/1fyn1bvc7j