A Second Leap of Faith!

Epic428

Thanks for the modification.

I dunno, when I first uploaded the game it was almost 3mb, and when I downloaded it, it was about 1.2mb SO I assumed that you had optimized the file size, if not its cool :P
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

KungFuFurby

Wow... that much? Now that's surprising!

Well, I was completely unaware about the optimization, but it's nice to see that you got a filesize benefit.
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

Epic428

Just a note: I realized why the size was different when uploading and downloading the game. When uploading it includes an SWF with the game so anyone can play it from forge, when downloading the SWF is not included.

Anyway, Ethan has created some awesome levels for this game that we will be adding in within the next few days so you guys have more to play.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

KungFuFurby

I just might come up with some level ideas as well.

There's one thing I've noticed: when it comes to stairs, you can't just go right next to the next step, or you'll just end up jumping up once you've bumped it.
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.

Epic428

Yeah, It is something that I have tried to figure out how to make better, but I always keep coming back to "well the player will just have to adjust where they are jumping from."

Unfortunately, I think would take more work than necessary to force the player to fall downward when hitting the wall, rather than slide upward.

Due to your contributions thus far, you are more than welcome to design a few levels.

Epic428

OK New version is posted.

Change log:

Added in an Options screen including a button in the menu bar.
Re-enabled Flixel hot keys
Checkpoint block got a makeover

The clear save button does nothing as saving will be implemented last.

Please continue to provide any bug reports and feedback on the game.

Rhys commented on the game stating that changing the players jump direction is rather slow. We are currently incrementing/decrementing the angle by 1. I can change that to 2 to double the speed which shouldn't hurt. However, he did mention the addition of mouse controls.

I thought of adding in mouse controls, however, I could see that causing issues with the menu bar. Before I put in extra work to minimize the effect it would have on the menu bar, what are everyone's thoughts on adding mouse control? Do you think it would improve the game or not make any difference?

Also, Ethan has been hard at work today making some really awesome changes to some of the backgrounds as well as adding in new ones. Some scenes you will eventually see include: Space, and Underwater. There will be fish, an astronaut, and a kitty!

Epic428

I just wanted to let everyone know that because of the help KungFuFurby's help with our game, we will have some exciting changes and additions to the game over the next week or two.

There will be an update later tonight to showcase some additional graphics that we have come up with.

In the next couple days you will see a few new levels just to show off more themes (or perhaps, in tonight's update)

We will eventually take on the use of Greg's Cutscene Pack as we have officially decided on the implementation of a storyline. This will be the biggest modification to the game, and from the ideas we are putting together, I think this game is actually in its infancy stages.

If you asked me about two weeks ago, I would have said that the game was about 80% complete with just the need for additional levels, sounds, and some bug fixes. However, at this stage, and because our creative minds are moving 100 times faster, I think we are really only about 10-20% complete with the game.

Anyway, keep an eye out later tonight for some additional changes that I'm sure you will enjoy!

Epic428

OK New version is posted!

You will notice a major jump in the file size due to added graphics and sounds. the size went from about 1.2mb to about 3mb. I expect this game in the end to be around 7-10mb.

Change log

1. BGM has been added to the splash screen and main menu.

2. Forest themed music has been added to levels 1-6.

3. Levels 7-11 are new levels. Their order may, and probably will, change for the final game.

4. Levels 7-11 will give you a taste for the stages/locations of the game.

5. The first 6 levels include the addition of birds for eye-candy

6. The underwater level also includes extra eye-candy such as fish and bubbles.

7. Changing of the player's jump direction has changed from 1° to 1.5° per frame.

Bugs

1. Level 12 shows as a level because I unlocked every level. It actually is not a level and is a glitch that occurs when I set every level unlocked. It will take you to level 1 if selected. It will not appear in the final game due to the way levels are normally unlocked.

Please let us know what you think! Also please report any bugs you find along the way.

We appreciate all the feedback you provide. You can look forward to many more great additions to this game. We hope you enjoy it!

Ethan

Yo guys, we really need feedback! There's no way this game is good enough for it to go un-critiqued like this. Go ahead, rip this game apart. Please! We need it.

Xaviien

The link in the original post does not work. Here is the correct link.
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/2000

Great work guys, you're doing a really good job of showing people what can be done using stencyl.

I had the same issue as Reashu, (he posted a comment on the game page.) I died just after the very first checkpoint, while the platform was moving, and the platform sound kept looping until I closed the window.

I agree that the direction change could be a little faster, but I don't think mouse controls are necessary.

Keep up the good work!

Epic428

Thanks a lot! We shall have to check out our comments, unfortunately, I forget about them given alack of a notification system.

Anyway, Ethan and I are going pick this back up again, we've decided to completely remove all cutscenes as we feel it is going to take too much time to do. We have plans for a total of 50 Levels, and will likely be updating the game by the end of this week. We may come up with small changes or surprises along the way, so stay tuned.

Ethan

BUMP

We need your help! "A Second Leap of Faith" is a long name. We want something catchier and shorter. Something frog related... or king related... like "The Frog King". Except that probably doesn't work.

So we need name ideas!

choas81

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:20:32 pm by Hectate »

KungFuFurby

The winner is Don't Croak. The name idea was provided by yoshirider4.

Epic428

In the next day or two we will be updating the game. I just need to fix a problem on my end where I can't update the game with what I have.

We have 62 levels made so far not including the 3 levels KungfuFurby created. I am leaving his levels out of the update for now because I need to fix some lag caused by them. They may be some of the best levels in the game so the very moment they are released you can look forward to playing them.

When the update comes out, we have a huge request we'd like the community to fulfill, please keep an eye out for further details. Thanks!