Collab RPG

NobodyX

So I've had this idea in my head for a while. I don't know that it's any good, but I'll just stick it here and see what happens.

What if we made an RPG together? Whoever wants to can contribute graphics, music, writing, whatever. If you can read this, you're invited to contribute. We would design the areas and story as we go along. No one would know what the finished game would be like, until it's finished.

Suppose someone has an enemy idea, if she or he can provide the graphics and whatever else is needed then it gets stuck in the game somewhere just as long as it meets a minimum quality standard.

I am thinking SNES style graphics and sounds and music, with a relatively simple graphical style so even people not very practiced in drawing can contribute. And lots of humour. The gameplay would be as fluid, quickly-progressing, and grind-less as possible.

I would be willing to head the thing (create the game systems, put the game together), but only if I know there would be enough other people willing to help.

Thoughts?

[edit]
Here's a forum: http://snardware.com/rpgforum/index.php
And again, anyone is invited, so go contribute.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:24:31 pm by NobodyX »

Sunflower

Well, I think I can help with some coding stuff, as well as general ideas and such. Also, I think that to make things more organized, we need to specify some things, like:

1. What we want to do?
Would it be Final Fantasy ripo like early Final Fantasy, with general exploration and randomly appearing monsters fought in turn-based system? Or maybe something completely else? Would it be a single story or rather some sort of sandbox?

2. Where would we discuss?
I think that if many people will want to participate in this project, single topic will be definitely too little to discuss such project and things will get messy here easily. We need more space for that. If staff would approve this idea, we could have a separate subforum and make new threads related to specific areas, such as art, soundtrack, locations, story and many, many others. We could make our forum at some free forums hosting service, too, I guess.
However, if this project is supposed to be really big, I think the best system for that is Wiki. This way we could have pages related to very specific locations (not "some town in the middle of nowhere", but "upper left room in the inn in some town in the middle of nowhere"), and control over that would be way easier.

One more thing, not related to any of the points above, but still important: we should make the engine so that adding new things would be as easy as possible, yet still letting people do quite advanced things (messaging will be of great help here, I guess!).
If you want, I'll post in this thread example dialogue written in the ingame syntax with explanation how I would imagine this system. My post would get quite terrifyingly long if I posted it here. ^^' But yes, I hope this system isn't difficult to understand for people who would like to help with dialogues (at least its basic functions), while it would still let do quite advanced things.

NobodyX

1. What we want to do?
Would it be Final Fantasy ripo like early Final Fantasy, with general exploration and randomly appearing monsters fought in turn-based system? Or maybe something completely else? Would it be a single story or rather some sort of sandbox?
Here's what I'd prefer:
Random encounters. Either turn-based gameplay, or FF6 style gameplay with the characters and monsters on timers. Very little emphasis on skill-based quick-time event and mini-games during battles, if any. One linear story, except maybe some flexibilty on the order in which stuff is accomplished. And it might be fun to have some kind of weird gauge or gimmick for battles, just for the sake or making the game a tiny bit more interesting.

I'd like it to be a bit of a comedy game of sorts. Not to have punchlines in every bit of dialogue but just general silliness.

Interesting, weird, and surreal monsters and characters. And lots of surprises for the player and a story without an obvious/cliche progression (no "collect the 8 elements, then save the world").

If you want, I'll post in this thread example dialogue written in the ingame syntax with explanation how I would imagine this system. My post would get quite terrifyingly long if I posted it here. ^^' But yes, I hope this system isn't difficult to understand for people who would like to help with dialogues (at least its basic functions), while it would still let do quite advanced things.
Go ahead! :)

2. Where would we discuss?
I have a website that's not being used for much right now. I think my webhost has some kind of easy way to facilitate a forum, I'll look into it.

I don't know about a wiki detailing every tiny area in the game. I would rather we not over-think the game too much, and just spend the energy towards the game making tangible progress within it, if that makes sense.

Sunflower

Alright, you asked, so take that! (geez, too much Phoenix Wright)
Example dialogue with some random drunkard. Note that dialogue would be kept in 2D Array of sorts, or rather, a list of lists (while each list can have different length).
Code: [Select]
[0][0] Hey, you! //0th branch is always called at the very beginning
  [0][1] Random Drunkard:0  //I imagine some sort of talking character portrait here; this part would indicate which portrait to draw
  //this text contains name of animation and frame number, which happens to be Random Drunkard's typical expression
[0][2] INPUT: choice  //special line recognized by keyword, tells the system that user will have to choose
  [0][3] 2  //number of options
  [0][4] Could you lend me 100 gold?  //question, appears above possible answers
  [0][5] Random Drunkard:0  //expression of asking person
  [0][6] Yes  //first option
  [0][7] 1:0  //if it's chosen, dialogue jumps to 1st branch, 0th line
  [0][8] No
  [0][9] 3:0  //moving to 3rd branch, because 2nd one will be for something else

[1][0] SPEC: ?gold < 100  //question marks in SPEC lines will tell the system that it's conditional
  [1][1] 2:0  //if condition is true, then dialogue will jump to 2nd branch, otherwise it continues!
//otherwise
[1][2] SPEC: addGold  //messaging with an argument, yes, it's possible!
  [1][3] -100  //text which is an argument of "addGold" function
[1][4] Yay, thanks!
  [1][5] Random Drunkard:1  //let's say that 1st frame is happy Random Drunkard
//no more elements in the list, so dialogue stops here

[2][0] ...hey, you don't have that much money!
  [2][1] Random Drunkard:2  //let's say that it's "Are you kidding me" expression
//dialogue stops here

[3][0] Aww...
  [3][1] Random Drunkard:3  //sad drunkard expression
//guess what? Yes, dialogue stops here, too!

So yes, that's how I imagine it can look. Yes, I think I can do that. :P

Of course, I wouldn't expect everyone to know this syntax. I have just written here the general idea behind it, so other people would know what would be possible.

Any questions? O.o

KungFuFurby

Did someone say SNES? You got me thinking of Project Roasted Jelly for some unusual reason... so maybe I'll pop up here and go for the music. Just make sure I have some sort of soundtrack to go by... plots help.
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

Duckaiser

I'd love to help with this in some way!

I've come up with several RPG ideas and most of them have something unique about them. The main character is often bizarre, and the story is a bit off-beat. I have some "normal" ideas every once in a while, but not "RPG" normal, no, there's still a twist or seven involved. So, working on an RPG that's generally "silly" is right up my alley. "Surreal" is something I try occasionally, and working with things you wouldn't expect in a "normal" game.

How about, a zombie Princess with a chainsaw? Nah, that's already been done.

I've got plenty of weird character ideas, but I don't have the focus to make a whole game myself. If I could submit and work on ideas for a larger project, that would work out a lot better.

I think we could go the "collect 8 elements" route...if the 8 elements were "Strawberry, Banana, Melon, Mango, Pineapple, Pumpkin, Broccoli, and Rutabaga!"

NobodyX

To Sunflower,
I like it! Very smart idea to work different functions like options and money exchanges into the dialogue itself so it just has to be typed in. Sounds very efficient. Although, wouldn't it make more sense to have the portrait changes come before the dialogue though?

KungFu,
Sounds good, I was thinking of contributing music myself, too. I remember the name "Project Roasted Jelly" but I can't put a finger on what it was, care for a reminder?

Duckaiser,
Glad to see you on board.
Quote from: Duckaiser
...but I don't have the focus to make a whole game myself.
Yep, this is basically the idea behind the whole thing. So people can be involved in making a complete game without having to do all the work. :) And also so that, hopefully, we can inspire each other and learn from each others' ideas and talent.

To everyone, how about his:
I'll stick a forum for this game on my website sometime today. Then we just start by blurting out random ideas for characters, plots, monsters, locations, graphical styles styles, audio styles, etc. And we chime in to say what we like or don't.

Obviously everyone at all would be invited.

Sunflower

Can't wait to see this whole forum thing running. :)

About portrait changes: it's not that portrait changes after you go to the next line, rather, when you go to the next part of dialogue, you go to the next pair. So I can make a system with "Random Drunkard:0 || Some text" or with "Some text || Random Drunkard:0" order, but both systems would make things go properly.
I'm more used to "Text || Character image" because of how I was doing it in Game Maker (too much to explain compared to its importance here ^^'), and also because if I were to take the other approach, natural thing to do would be having "Choice redirect || Choice text" rather than "Choice text || Choice redirect" and so on. On the other hand, I'm not going to stick to the original concept; after all, if someone posts a dialogue, it should be quite clear what they mean there, and whoever will copy-paste it to the game, they should know how to do it. ;)

NobodyX

About portrait changes: it's not that portrait changes after you go to the next line, rather, when you go to the next part of dialogue, you go to the next pair.
Oh, I see now. Makes sense. I'm sure you've thought it through more thoroughly than I will so I'll trust that it would work well.

NobodyX

http://snardware.com/rpgforum/index.php
The forum is ready!

Sign up, whoever's interested, and express your ideas. I haven't said much myself yet, but I'll get around to it.

I'm "Ryan" on the forum. You can use your real name or forum name, doesn't matter.

There's only one section now but there will be more.

Duckaiser

I signed up, and posted already, but it didn't show up yet. It said why, but I'm curious if you plan to keep it that way?

I've got loads of ideas, but I think I'll wait a while before sharing more.

Sunflower

Oh, right, so you posted some ideas, too, Duckaiser? I wonder what will come out of that, since I've posted something myself, too (and it was quite detailed, although it was based on unusualness rather than general silliness, I think ^^').
Well, at least ideas of one person won't be affected by other people, so there'll be more stories to choose from, I guess? O.o

NobodyX

but it didn't show up yet.
Oh, (insert bad word), really? It was doing that for my own posts when I created the forum, and I thought I had fixed that for everyone.

It's definitely NOT supposed to be that way. Sorry about that.

[edit]
Apparently the problem was that although I set the permission for all registered users to be able to post without approval, everyone was added to a group called "newly registered users" which unbeknownst to me made it impossible to post without approval. But it's fixed now. :)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:07:33 am by NobodyX »

SuperJosh64

I'd love to contribute here and there :) I've joined the forum under Josh, although I'm yet to contribute anything just yet!

This has potential to be quite a cult hit I'm thinking!

KungFuFurby

Project Roasted Jelly was supposed to be a Dragon Quest-like RPG.

I'm in the forums now.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:10:43 am by KungFuFurby »
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games