Action/Adventure Kit (Feedback Required)

Greg

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of revamping our Action/Adventure kit (and I'm looking for feedback from people that are actually interested in creating a game in this genre, but might not necessarily have the know-how to complete the whole thing on their own.

I'm starting (Current Demo) the kit in the vein of Zelda (Link to the Past).  The graphics will be replaced -- I'm just using the mechanics as a base. 

My very first question is how to handle the player graphics in regards to weapons/items.  If you take Link (or any generic action/adventure hero) for example, they may have -

1) Idle/Walking animations with no items/weapons
2) Idle/Walking animation with shield
3) Idle/Walking animation with sword
4) Combo of 2 & 3
5) etc... etc... etc...

As you can see, the number of animations and combinations just skyrockets.  For those interested in creating these games - is this expected?  Are you willing/able to create a multitude of animations that span every possible configuration?

The only alternative that I see is to create the base player graphics, and then all weapons/items will be separate Actors that will draw in conjunction with the base animations.  This has its own set of potential issues just trying to sync things up, and determining when to add to the animation versus override the entire thing.

I'll stop there for now as this is the 1st major hurdle in designing the kit.  I would appreciate any serious feedback that you may have.

Luyren

Hey Greg,

One thing I'd like to point out is that multiples animations require setting the collision box. And currently, it's the most boring process of all in StencylWorks. If we could select the animations, make the collision box, and apply this box to as many animations as we want, it wouldn't be a problem.

Then again, having separated actors would also require setting the collision boxes for all of them. Guess we can't escape that. >_>"

My two cents.
Working.

SWATLLAMA

Well I'd be interested! Would this actionadventure kit be more of a platformer like actionnewton, or an rpg? Also it would be easier (for me at least) to make different animations for each combination.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

Greg

It's an interesting design decision.

Say we did decided to keep everything tied to the one main Actor.  We might have the following scenario:

1) 8 animations for no items equipped (idle + walking in 4 directions)
2) 8 animations for shield equipped (idle w/shield + walking w/shield 4 directions)
3) 8 animations for sword equipped
4) 8 animations for sword + shield equipped

Now in the "Movement" behavior, I can't just say - "play the move down animation".  I have to say, play move down...if nothing is equipped, but wait -- "play move down + shield" if the shield is equipped.  But...what if the sword and shield are equipped....you get the picture.

Trying to keep this completely generic for any item that the user might decide to create has proven to be a very difficult challenge for me.

Hectate

Going the separate actor route is still, in my opinion,the best route for flexibility. Perhaps you'd stil need quite a few animations, but if there's a set for "Melee Weapons", and another for "Thrown Weapons", all the user needs to do is assign a value/attribute to their new weapon of "melee" or "thrown" and the player character animates accordingly. As far as the syncing, most of that should fall to the end user's artwork, right?

The truth is that in designing a kit, you're making it harder on yourself in order to increase the flexibility and functionality of the kit for the end user. If you really want to address Everything Possible, it'll be a lot of work.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Greg

Going the separate actor route is still, in my opinion,the best route for flexibility. Perhaps you'd stil need quite a few animations, but if there's a set for "Melee Weapons", and another for "Thrown Weapons", all the user needs to do is assign a value/attribute to their new weapon of "melee" or "thrown" and the player character animates accordingly. As far as the syncing, most of that should fall to the end user's artwork, right?

The truth is that in designing a kit, you're making it harder on yourself in order to increase the flexibility and functionality of the kit for the end user. If you really want to address Everything Possible, it'll be a lot of work.

Yeah I totally agree -- making a kit generic, flexible, and powerful is a lot of work.  Ideally I'd like to let the user decide to either go the separate actor route, keep things on one Actor, or combine the approaches.

I also tend to lean towards the separate Actor approach, which is what I have coded in so far.  One issue with that is that I'd like to allow multiple items to be equipped (say a sword and shield).  When the sword attack is happening, I have to also keep in mind the the player may have the shield equipped so the shield animation would have to sync up with the sword swing.  Just a lot of little things like that keep cropping up to make it a bit more complex.

irock

Was the jittering issue ever fixed for actors that follow other actors?

SWATLLAMA

FOr a sword slash, one actor. For an arrow, two?
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

carroll6

Text.  I have trouble with the various text items, such as NPC character, which I just gave up on getting to work.   Player bumps into item.  Dialog, or text appears "this book has mysterious writing".  One guy made a behavior that showed a icon (forgive me for not remembering his name something with a "B" games).. but couldnt get that one to work.  Also, enemy behaviors.. getting the enemy to chase the player.