Extensions and images

vvitek

My question is: can we use image and imageInstance type in extension (in blocks.xml)?

As far as I know we can use following types when creating extension:
[void, actor, actortype, boolean, camera, color, control, font, group, number, list, anything, region, scene, sound, text, dropdown]

It'll be great to send an image and imageInstance parameters to underlying extension code to make some image manipulation, e.g. dropshadow etc.
Should I use "anything" type and cast it in the code to BitMap or BitmapData or is there a better solution? Or maybe is it planned to extend allowed data types (I mean not only images, but sounds as well)?

rob1221

"image" works.  I'm not sure what the type for image instances is called, but that probably works too.

Justin

A few types seems to be missing from that list. I suspect there may be a few that are outdated or of no use, but here are those types:

animation, filter, shader, game-attribute, blend, map, joint, image, image-instance, transition, code-block

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

vvitek

Thank you very much, it helped me a lot.

captaincomic

code-block
Oh, I didn't know that we had this option. :)

Justin

I think that code-block actually has something to do with those fields that are found inside wrapper blocks (like the index block inside looping wrappers). Not 100% sure there. Of course anybody is free to experiment and see what happens. :)

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

captaincomic

Ah, okay I though it would be a text field that doesn't wrap the input in quotes. I'll experiment with it...
Edit: I think you're right, this is for nested blocks, not for "code fields". But it doesn't work in extension blocks - it's only used in for core blocks, afaict.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:15:20 am by captaincomic »

ETHproductions

CODE_BLOCK works in wrappers. Rob has explained this before. (It's always good to search the forums. ;) )

Here's some sample code, creating an 'if' block:
Code: [Select]
<block tag="if" spec="if %0" code="if (~) {~}" type="wrapper" returns="void">
<fields>
<boolean order="0"></boolean>
<CODE_BLOCK order="1"></CODE_BLOCK>
</fields>
</block>
Fontstruct - Stencyl - Website (in progress)

Proud Member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

captaincomic

ETHproductions

Here's a list of all the valid types that I know of, sorted by how well they work:

Normal:
anything, actor, actortype, group, animation, boolean, color,
control, filter (effect), font, image, IMAGE_INSTANCE,
joint, list, map, number, region, scene, shader, sound, text

Partial:
 - blend, camera, transition - currently useless (experts can use these as a plain code input)
 - GAME_ATTRIBUTE - works okay, but is underdeveloped

Special:
 - code-block - only works as an input for wrapper blocks
 - dropdown - only works as an input
 - void - only works as the return type for action- and wrapper-type blocks
 - attached-block - only works in 3.2+ as an "input" (pretty complex, I'll write instructions soon)

If you know of any types I'm missing, please post so I can add them to the list. :)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 07:04:28 pm by ETHproductions »
Fontstruct - Stencyl - Website (in progress)

Proud Member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.