Barbarium (FINISHED)

Hypnohustla

FULL VERSION IS OUT!

TRAILER:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0h9ToxwFv8

Things added:
-All levels and bosses
-Ending that changes according to the amount of coins and treasures you get. Deaths also affect the ending.
-Cheat codes that unlock after completing the game
-Changed the tileset in the first area
-Enemies now fly from the power of your sword. Drunken hits make them fly farther.
-All levels have been revamped a bit. Just a BIT!

I know it's probably filled with bugs but I cant find them all by myself. So please report them if you encounter some! Let's just get this over with and go kick some ass!

Browser version:

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/10899
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/613383 (MEDALS)

Downloadable version (much smoother on older computers):
http://tinyurl.com/bnpgow4

Barbarium is an action platformer, about fighting with laserguns and swords, drinking beer and eating meat while saving babes.

Hypnohustla

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 12:06:44 pm by Hypnohustla »
Follow me on Twitter

NobodyX

When I read the description I didn't have high hopes for it, but I was pleasantly surprised! Pretty silly!

The colours look a bit weird and it makes the objects not quite fit together, I think it's that the foreground blocks have too little saturation and contrast. Personally, I would prefer something other than space to be the jump key, maybe others would agree. No lag, sounds are fine.

I'll be looking forward to how this progresses!

Alexin

Personally, I would prefer something other than space to be the jump key, maybe others would agree.
Linux users certainly would - the SPACE key causes the page to scroll down.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Hypnohustla

I wasnt aware of the linux issue. I fixed the control scheme to the more traditional arrow keys and Z, X and C controls.

Good point about the colors, I have to keep this in mind when I'm making a new tileset for the next dungeon.
Follow me on Twitter

coleislazy

This is pretty cool! It reminds me of the games I used to play on my first computer back in the 90s!

Hypnohustla

Thanks!

Small update, here's a few enemies I have been working on. What do you think?
Follow me on Twitter

coleislazy

I like them! I'm fascinated by retro-style graphics, so I may be a little biased! ;)

SuperJosh64

Nice work - the gameplay feels smooth, I can tell you've tweaked it to be just right!

I like the cheeky theme you've got going here too. Caveman holding a laser? Ridiculous. I love it.

Keep it up, and like Cole, I do enjoy the retro style - so I'm looking forward to more pixel goodness :D

Hypnohustla

Nice work - the gameplay feels smooth, I can tell you've tweaked it to be just right!

I like the cheeky theme you've got going here too. Caveman holding a laser? Ridiculous. I love it.

Keep it up, and like Cole, I do enjoy the retro style - so I'm looking forward to more pixel goodness :D

Thanks! Glad you liked it. I'm planning on tweaking the gameplay even more. I dont like how the jumping ends if you hit a wall, among other things. It has to feel just right before I move onto making more tilesets and levels.
Follow me on Twitter

Hypnohustla

I thought I'd show that the project hasn't halted in any way and post a screenshot of the first real level of the game. I'll be posting an updated demo when I've finished making the level and the first boss fight.
Tell me what you think! Someone mentioned about the tiles not having enough contrast compared to the background. Alltough the background won't stay all black, I think the platforms show much better now.
It's supposed to be a desertruin beneath the sand with some modern twists like neonsigns and such.
Follow me on Twitter

AdventureIslands

Love the graphics! Reminds me of the good old DOS games I used to play when I was a kid, like Alien Carnage! I look forward to see how this develops.

Also I didn't know you were finnish too, hello fellow finn! :D

Greg

This is really cool.  Looking forward to playing more!

Hypnohustla

Heres a few screenshots just to remind people that this game is actually making progress. Hopefully soon I will have the first (real) demo ready, which includes the first region and one boss fight.

I've been trying to come up with a appropiate collectibles for the setting. But I've come up with nothing. I've tried putting beer in there and NES cartridges and nude magazines... What do you think would be fun to collect?

As before, all criticism is welcome. Please also note that some of the graphics are still place holders and tests, and everything is changeable.
Follow me on Twitter

GameZone

Well, I have not yet played the demo, but, for the collectibles, it being in a desert related location, and being very random, how about ancient piss cups, cups that you piss in? I think that fits the setting.
How can you be enjoyed when you are an immature annoyance in at least ONE way?

Just had a play. This is very cool, has some good personality look forward to checking out more! And screw pirates Rocket pack laser barbarians pwn!