Barbarium (FINISHED)

Hypnohustla

I think the secret is to develop the game to a point where it would be embarrassing to quit :P
Follow me on Twitter

JensWinterstein

I'm totally impressed so far. The game is rad!  8) (and I can hardly believe it didn't hit the frontpage on NG yet)
I got one little suggestion though, that a LOT of devs don't consider:

When you use "Z" as a control option, make it redundant with "Y". Some european countries (i.e. germany/austria/czech republic) have a different keyboard layout called QWERTZ or kezboard... I think you get the point ;) - the Z and Y keys are switched (in germany we also got some funny keys like ä,ö,ü)

Changing this would be the icing on the cake.

Going back for some more beers now :))
Get 100 Chambers for Android / iOS
Get Cubus Velox for Android / iOS or play it on Flash

- Portfolio

Hypnohustla

I think I'm not even going to hit the front page, can't say I'm disappointed though. :) The game is done and I'm finally free to make other games. Perhaps I'll try to make something for the jam. :)

I have to check into the control issue, haven't had anyone else mention it. I understand your problem though, I'm from Finland and we also have our äöå's. :)
Follow me on Twitter

rob1221

That was pretty tough but I finally beat it (but not enough metal to rule the world :()

I'm surprised the NG rating isn't higher, and this definately deserves some front page time.

Hypnohustla

Thanks, glad you finished it. To my knowledge, not many people have.

There's a secret place in the mountains that you have to find to get a good rating on the metal situation. On top of collecting most of the metal you can in other areas, that is :)
Follow me on Twitter

Hypnohustla

Heres a piece about Barbarium on Indiestatik: http://indiestatik.com/2013/03/25/barbarium-drink-beer-save-babes-fight-with-a-sword-and-laser-gun/

And Barbarium was also featured on PCGamer in the Free Webgame Round-Up. Really happy about the comparison to John Carpenter, as I'm a fan of his music :)
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/22/the-free-webgame-round-up-27/
Follow me on Twitter

Hypnohustla

Barbarium was also featured on IndieGames.com, was truly shocked to see it on the front page :)
http://indiegames.com/2013/03/freeware_game_pick_barbarium_h.html

Unrelated: I'm already hard at work on my new game for the Stencyl Jam! Hoping that I'm able to make a thread for it in a day or two :)
Follow me on Twitter

NobodyX

Whooo! Congrats on finishing the game, really cool. :) Also congrats on being mentioned at indiegamec.com and elsewhere. I've been meaning to play it to the end (now that there's an end to play) but been distracted. Hope to do it soon though.

Hypnohustla

http://tinyurl.com/cjwc94v there was also a mention on Destructoid. It seems that some people are finding some gamebreaking bugs that I'm now trying to recreate myself.

It also seems that Barbarium finally hit the NG frontpage. I made some flash movies when I was 12-14 years old, and this has been on my bucketlist since then :) Feels good!

NobodyX tell me what you think of the end product if you get around playing it :)
Follow me on Twitter

NobodyX

Woo! Beat the game, I enjoyed it. :) One thing that really stuck out to me (and I know this is probably a weird thing to point out) was that the colour combinations of the inside last level were really awesome and worked great. I'll have to steal some ideas from that for colour combinations in my future stuff. I also liked how I was in the credits, didn't expect that, haha.

Stuff:
-I think the game would have felt a ton more professional if something other than being able to move around freely happened when you transition between rooms and when you get a game over. I was surprised that wasn't changed before the finished release.
-Bird boss felt weird, I just stayed at the right the whole time and I imagine it would have been much more taxing if I hadn't, it felt like I wasn't supposed to stay there but the game never forced me back to the left.
-Last boss felt like it could have been a lot more fun, it was completely overwhelming until I found some "sweet spots" where I can almost never get hurt, felt like cheating.
-The game froze at one point, in the first room with the lava drips, and I have no idea why (sorry wish I could help more) and it sent me back to before the ice lab when I re-opened the game. It was annoying, but I don't blame you. :p

And some other nitpicky stuff but I don't want to be too long here.

Overall, I had fun (even having played most of it before), and I got the "bad" end. Thanks for making it the game, I had a groovy time playing it (to use a horribly outdated adjective). :)

Hypnohustla

Those are some of the exact points that bothered me also! :D I was just in a huge hurry to actually get the game done! I promised my old lady that I'd get the game done on this month and had to really rush it. :P The transition thing was on my mind, but just didn't bother with it because I had one month to get the last level and the two last bosses done. But what is done is done! Though I think I could have easily spent another year just trying to perfect it... :)

I'm also very happy with the last level color choices, I think it really shows that I have gotten much better with pixel art during these LONG LONG months of developing this asshole of a game. :)
Follow me on Twitter

gruffman

You won me over at "free the babes to save the game" roflol
Now available for all Android Devices - Happy Face Concentration
My Games To Date
Find A Face / Hero Of Oda / Snakes And Ladders
Hungry Monkey available at fgl.com for Sponsorship
My site - Gruffgames.com