Barbarium (FINISHED)

Hypnohustla

Do we get a jet pack somewhere?

The tunnelling bug stops coming after a while and bounced off the top of the entry to the final room  a few times. Even with a jetpack, beats me how to get to some areas.

You get the jetpack from the bug. You have to hit it with your sword after you have beaten it and it emerges dead from the wall. I'm aware of the problem with it stopping from working sometimes, and I plan to fix it ASAP.
But how were you able to leave the bossroom without the jetpack? It should be impossible.

Has anyone been able to beat the demo?

PS: Does anyone recognise the boss?
Follow me on Twitter

coleislazy

It just keeps getting better! Great job!

A couple bugs:

1. I switched controls to the arrows and z, x, c. The signs told me to press c to shoot and x to swing the sword, but that is backward.

2. The character gets stuck on the moving platforms. I had to mash the jump button and movement keys to get him off the platform. I wasn't able to progress past this point because of this.

rob1221

error in when created for behavior "patrol", null object

Hypnohustla

It just keeps getting better! Great job!

A couple bugs:

1. I switched controls to the arrows and z, x, c. The signs told me to press c to shoot and x to swing the sword, but that is backward.

2. The character gets stuck on the moving platforms. I had to mash the jump button and movement keys to get him off the platform. I wasn't able to progress past this point because of this.

Thanks! I fixed the signs and now the platforms are working. I didn't notice the bug because the platforms worked fine when playing with WASD. But now they work with the arrow keys aswell.
I hope that I haven't shunned many players away with these gamebreaking bugs.

error in when created for behavior "patrol", null object

I have noticed this also but I don't yet know how to fix it. The patrol behaviour still works as it should so I won't make it my priority.
Follow me on Twitter

Hypnohustla

I'm thinking about making the shield need a cooling period. So you can only use it for a few seconds and then youd have to wait for it to recharge. I think it would add a more strategic element to the fights.

I'm a little worried that people haven't been able to finish the demo! I'd like if you could post your grade in the game comments.

PS: You can also follow me on Twitter if you want to hear more frequent updates about the game and my thoughts on it: https://twitter.com/?lang=en&logged_out=1#!/Hypnohustler
I'm just starting to use it! I'm so last season...

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:02:52 am by Hypnohustla »
Follow me on Twitter

rob1221

I didn't finish; the giant slug-thing stopped appearing after a while and nothing else happened.  Or is that supposed to happen?

Hypnohustla

I didn't finish; the giant slug-thing stopped appearing after a while and nothing else happened.  Or is that supposed to happen?

I tweaked it a bit and it should work now. Tell me if it does it again.

EDIT: I played it through just now and managed to beat the boss with no problems. I did however notice a bug in the moving platforms. It seems that you cant jump of the vertical ones if you arent moving to right or left. This should be a minor fix and I plan to do it later today.
It is becoming more and more bug free so I can move on to make new content.

EDIT2: I played it again and the boss problem showed up again. I have to pinpoint the problem and fix it as soon as possible. Really takes the fun out of it if you cant even kill the bastard...

EDIT3: Boss has been fixed!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:59:48 am by Hypnohustla »
Follow me on Twitter

Hypnohustla

Okay sorry for the double post but now every bug that has been reported, has also been fixed. The boss works as it should and the moving platforms let you move as you want on them.
Now if the all the main gameplay mechanics work, I can move on to the next area and start adding enemies and new upgrades. And also a new tileset that will have an urban jungle setting...

Please post your feelings and hopes for the game!
Follow me on Twitter

coleislazy

Played it again and found some issues:

1. The text of the very first sign is cut off if you switch to the alternate controls.
2. Got to the worm boss, but he stop appearing after a short time. The boulders kept dropping, but he never came back.

If I haven't said it enough, this game is awesome!

Hypnohustla

And if I haven't said it enough, thank you very much! Damn that boss, I really thought that I fixed it. There has to be another bug that causes the problem and I only fixed one of them... Well, back to working on it... But thanks for informing me about it! It's invaluable!
Follow me on Twitter

Hypnohustla

Sneak peek of the new tileset I'm working on. What do you think? Improvement suggestions?
Follow me on Twitter

Hectate

Is that concrete/asphalt? It looks like it fell on the grass, instead of being overgrown like the other parts of the image (at least that's the impression I get from it).
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

GameZone

I have a few suggestions:

1. The vines coming out form the bottom of the platform need to have some roots showing, or else they will look like green stalactites.
2. If you are trying to make the building in the background look damaged, add some cracks, wrinkles and holes in the walls. It looks like those craters on the building have just been chipped. No signs of war or paranormal activity or whatever.
3. If that gray part in the upper-left corner is supposed to be the sky, put in some more detail. All I see is gray on a gray plate, with a gray side, smothered with gray, with a gray drink and topped off with gray. Great... Add stuff like rain, lightning, etc.
4. The grass on top of the platform is too green. It needs shading and more detail.
5. The players should be able to see stuff like broken computers through the windows of the building.
6. The crosses of the wood on the doors don't show one of them having shade on top of the other. It looks like the two wood boards are one.
7. The trusses should have less bars. Instead of two two-way thin bars in each square, just a large "plank" in each square. Kinda like a crooked ladder.
8. The grass on the ground should look less... "alive". More shading, please.

... Okay, that's more like several suggestions. But, either way, those are my suggestions.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:03:33 pm by GameZone »
How can you be enjoyed when you are an immature annoyance in at least ONE way?

Hypnohustla

I have a few suggestions:

1. The vines coming out form the bottom of the platform need to have some roots showing, or else they will look like green stalactites.
2. If you are trying to make the building in the background look damaged, add some cracks, wrinkles and holes in the walls. It looks like those craters on the building have just been chipped. No signs of war or paranormal activity or whatever.
3. If that gray part in the upper-left corner is supposed to be the sky, put in some more detail. All I see is gray on a gray plate, with a gray side, smothered with gray, with a gray drink and topped off with gray. Great... Add stuff like rain, lightning, etc.
4. The grass on top of the platform is too green. It needs shading and more detail.
5. The players should be able to see stuff like broken computers through the windows of the building.
6. The crosses of the wood on the doors don't show one of them having shade on top of the other. It looks like the two wood boards are one.
7. The trusses should have less bars. Instead of two two-way thin bars in each square, just a large "plank" in each square. Kinda like a crooked ladder.
8. The grass on the ground should look less... "alive". More shading, please.

... Okay, that's more like several suggestions. But, either way, those are my suggestions.

Whoa thanks for the feedback, love it!
1. You are right, the tileset is still unfinished so I'll see what I can do for the roots.
2. Hmm, I thought those chips were enough but I guess you are right. It's supposed to be a wartorn city after all.
3. It's not the sky. Its part of the building that serves as a obstacle. It is more apparent when you see the whole level. I can promise that. I'm thinking of adding some kind of fog, but I dont want it to bother the gameplay.
4. Maybe it has too much contrast. But thats what I was going for but maybe a little more detail wouldn't hurt.
5. Or maybe too much detail can hurt? I drew some stuff in there previously and it seemed too much... But maybe I can find a golden middle road here.
6. You are right, totally overlooked that.
7. I don't agree.
8. I'll add more shading but the grass is supposed to look "alive". Theres some serious nuclear waste in the levels but it isnt seen in the screenshot.

Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully I can improve the tileset!

And Hectate, I see what you mean, I think it's caused of the grass on top of it. It's not supposed to be there so I'll pay more attention not to but those tiles next to each other.
Follow me on Twitter

AdventureIslands

Darn nice game, been playing it and the graphics and sounds really remind me of good old DOS games I played as a kid. That boss fight was epic!

Is there somekind of purpose for all those silver trinkets that are all over the place? or those red disks? the "Man escaped the desert" part seems to imply that it wasn't the real ending.

Also I think I found a bug, in the room with lots of lasers, jumping skeletons in green sleeping bags, and the slime that lets you make a giant jump, the game doesn't save the trinkets or red disc you collect in that room.

Oh and you can make the game stuck if you jump out of the screen instead of walking and triggering transition.