Mr Tart Returns!

Max Finch

Hello everybody! For those of you who don't know me my name is Max. I'm an 18 year old developer based in Good ol' Oregon. I've been using Stencyl for quite some time now and what really took off for me the most is my game Mr. Tart. I created it mainly as a game to help me learn Stencyl and really the world of making games. There's so much more to making a "Fun" game than most people think, and with Mr Tart I feel I was getting somewhere to that concept. Mr Tart gave me a record 4-5 million plays in it's lifetime and it's by far my most popular game receiving great feedback and even reviews from Pc Gamer and Indiestatik. It's also the first game where I realized how valuable art, in particular good animations is. If you've had the dreadful experience of playing some of my earlier games you'll see I used to be so bad :D

Anyways, after Mr and Mrs Tart I stated that I would be done with the Mr Tart series and move on to other projects. Sadly, I lost a lot of money and motivation at the beginning of the year and ultimately ended up having to sell a lot of my stuff in order to pay the bills (Can I be a kid again?) So really, I stopped games all together because I couldn't afford it. Well I recently got a much better job and have started back up. I released Five Colors as an attempt to learn more about the Mobile world and I've now seen that it's much different than Flash. :O

Ultimately Five Colors was a bit of a failure and so I've moved onto something quite, different. I've been pleaded by family and friends countless amounts of time to build a Mr Tart game that was for their phones. So I took a concept that originally had pixel art and changed it around quite a bit! (I hated my pixel art anyways). Mr Tart Returns is the result :)

What's the point?

Well basically a two player Mr Tart game on small screen wasn't going to work. So I gave the series quite a twist. Inspired by one of my favorite genres, "Pick up and play". You play as Mr Tart as you jump and dodge over spikes to avoid the toaster, and ultimately avoid my mouth.. Sounds simple? Try it and see! haha :) I'm proud to announce that the game will eventually be available for Apple, Android, and Amazon devices as well as the web.

I need your help!

Please note if you're not into frustrating pick up and play games like "Flappy Bird" or "Swing Copters" you probably wont like this.

If you're on your computer now feel free to take a glimpse at the current web version. It's the mobile version without character select, leaderboards, and achievements. Please note that I'm only asking for help not just so people can play the game and leave but also to fill out the small survey right next to the game!

>>> Play the test version here <<<

Anyways, as I continue to develop and mess around (Been going at this for 1 1/2 months which is longer than I was expecting) I'll eventually post a trailer and what not. Stay tuned!

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:38:29 am by Max Glockling »

ceosol

I love poptarts. I'll definitely check this out when I get the time :)

Max Finch

I've gotten a couple reviews already, thanks guys! I've read them and I agree with most points. The difficulty is where it gets most people, it's very hard to play for most people. Which sucks because I'm super good at it myself :P so what's too easy for me is still too hard for others. So thanks for your feedback so far I'll continue to make adjustments.

Stevetheipad

Can't wait for the release - you've had such good success with game development even when you were in high school - I wish you even more luck with this!

MadManAdam

Difficult indeed!  I like the simplicity of it though.

Max Finch

Thanks guys! I've received more feedback on the difficulty and of course I'm listening. I've played this game since it's conception so I'm so blind to the difficulty it's bad really.

Anyways it's received a minor update before I hit the sack. I plan on putting some more work into it tomorrow. Maybe I'll let players unlock a few of the poptarts? But the character select is a bit broken so I don't know how soon that will be available but let me know if unlocking more characters in the flash version is a good thing?

SadiQ

let me know if unlocking more characters in the flash version is a good thing?

If each character has some sort of special ability then it would probably be useful, otherwise, only for aesthetic purposes it  won't make much of a difference in the gameplay. 
I do have a question regarding the sounds. Where did you get them?
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Max Finch

Some of them I bought from soundrangers.com the rest I made myself with my Samson metor mic and audacity

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:40:36 am by Max Glockling »

Max Finch

Just thought i'd update.

I've tweaked the gameplay a lot it's more unique and more fun, at least that's what everyone who's played it says.

Also, the almost complete website for the game is up. I'm rather fond of it and the URL ;)

mrtartga.me

Photon

Great! I really like this! Really digging the smooth slide ins/outs and those sfx (safe to assume there will be music later, right?) As a whole, it looking fantastic so far.

Now, one thing that jumps to mind (and an antidote to this may well be in the works, I'm aware,) is that as it stands the gameplay might get monotonous. The speed and challenge of things at the start felt good, but if they're held constant throughout the entire playing session it can be a bit grinding. To put it one way, earning the 100th point should feel more gratifying then earning the 10th point and not simply by virtue of the score itself. Are there any change-ups planned, like speed-ups or different obstacles?

Still really like where this is going though. So crisp and smooth... keep it up!
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Max Finch

Thanks, I actually don't have music planned. I feel like it was a ruining factor with Five Colors and I don't want repetitiveness or lots of music file in the game. Which is why the sounds are pretty constant and they sound good. Maybe in a later update if I REALLY feel like it needs music I'll add the original soundtrack, but I don't think that will happen.

As it stands, the game is about ready to be released. Stencyl has this stupid black bar issue that's stopping me so while I wait I did plan on working on it some more (For example I've been working on a "Leveling Up" system that's only noticable by the change in gameplay.) This game is a love hate relationship. Lot's of love have been poured into this all the while I just want to get this done and on the App Stores. :P

One thing I love about Mobile is that you can endlessly update your games and apps. This will come in handy in the future for this game if for example, I decided to add multiple challenges. But for right now this is a beat your highscore game so to speak.

Thanks for your feedback!

Photon

But for right now this is a beat your highscore game so to speak.
And going back and considering things, that is what I saw... like with "Five Colors," you're trying to make this a difficulty crunch "Flappy Bird" style game, aren't you? If so, I can see how the game is hitting those notes much better than the former.

My only suggestion at this point would be to make the game a little more snappy; maybe move him a bit faster so he's jumping more frequently. In particular, depending on spike placement, you can end up with a second or two of "downtime" as he walks from one end and back before reaching the next spike, and even that can sheer the player's momentum a bit when you're talking about a quick, twitch-reflex game like this. On that same note, maybe try to tweak it so that two spike combinations appear less and less over time.

My two cents anyway, for what its worth. :)

(Pertaining to speed, maybe you could play with engine's step size to experiment. I don't know how well that work, but I thought I'd bring it up if you wanted to try.)
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Max Finch

Originally this game was a bit faster, but I recieved to many complaints. As I've said, I've got a "leveling up" system that I'm working on. Hopefully when that checks out and all is swell AND that irritating stencyl bug is out of the way than I can publish and work on a new game. Maybe with my new Wacom Tablet? :D

But yeah, working on that leveling system.

Photon

Well, its also worth mentioning I've been playing games for years. My "twitch-reflex" is potentially much better than the average person's. :P

To be honest, if it were to go any faster, it would probably only need like a hair more of speed.

But to be honest again, the more I play it the more I feel like its really rock-solid already. Maybe the reason it feels (psychologically) "slow" is because you only get one point per every 2-5 spikes?

Max Finch

Every time you hit a wall. You actually sparked an idea where you gain points every spike. I like it, I'll have to try a prototype. I think the biggest problem I face isn't really related to skill, but more to the fact that I'm near full time with my job as a waiter at a retirement which takes a lot of the time I used to have away. Oh how I wish I had all that back. Another thing is money, which my car eats like the Cookie Monster eats cookies lol. So yeah, progress is slow but I really like where this game is coming to from its original concept.