3.1 Top Down Racing Kit

ETHproductions

I loved to play with the original Top Down Racing game before I upgraded to Stencyl 3. I decided to port it over to the newer versions of Stencyl, so that us Stencylers can use it again. I decided to make it as good as it had been before, and then even better. I thought it would be simple, but that was before I tried.  :'(

By deactivating all the blocks that don't exist in the newer versions (including an entire behavior), I got it up and running. But all the 'sin/cos' blocks had been changed to 'sin/cos as degrees/radians', leaving anything that had to do with angles inoperative. In other words, the cars didn't drive properly and the AI didn't calculate correctly.

After a few tries I managed to get the player's car to turn and drive properly. (It took a ton of work.) Then I tried to fix the AI. 2 attempts and 10 hours (over a few weeks) later, I finally hit it perfect this morning. Now I'm on to a list of smaller things that still don't work. Here's the list, so I can easily keep track of it:

Stuff I'd like to do:

• Finish Time Trial leaderboard
  • Simplify the leaderboard? (It's wired to get times from online, but doesn't have code to do it)
  • Make pause menu/settings menu
  • Remove sound metadata
  • Sort sounds into channels
  • Convert to a kit and publish
  • Create a tutorial a bunch of tutorials :P

Changelog:
Code: [Select]
1/11/14
Cars now bounce off of walls (May be changed some in the future)

11/26/14
Fixed a few glitches left from the last update
- Leaderboard froze when opened
- AI times did not load after player finished
AI will now not drive in circles when turned around

11/23/14
Fixed a leaderboard glitch (didn't display best lap or best time in TT Mode)
Removed a few pointless behaviors
A bunch of tiny adjustments to behavior names and descriptions

11/19/14
Projectile now maintains constant speed
Added Seeker
- Follows the waypoints until it reaches the nearest kart

11/13/14
VS Leaderboard now waits for CPUs to finish
Physics objects are controllable in Time Trial mode

11/11/14
Multiple Time Trial leaderboard changes
- Best lap is now highlighted
- Record time is displayed underneath the total time (highlighted if the new best)

11/09/14
Lap times now display correctly

You can try out the latest version here, and download it here. Any feedback will be appreciated, especially suggestions, bug tips, and help with the coding. Be sure to check frequently for the latest updates.

Thanks!  :)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:23:17 pm by ETHproductions »
Fontstruct - Stencyl - Website (in progress)

Proud Member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

ceosol

I found the controls very difficult... but it was my first time doing it. The boost things keep ramming me into walls. Other than that, I think it looks great. The AI seemed to be spot on.

Max Finch

The latest version doesn't load...

ETHproductions

I found the controls very difficult... but it was my first time doing it. The boost things keep ramming me into walls. Other than that, I think it looks great. The AI seemed to be spot on.

Thanks! I agree, the controls are a little tough to begin with, but I think they'll get easier with a little practice. I've made the boosts end when you ram into a wall. I'm also planning on adding a settings menu, which will have adjustable things like control sensitivity.

The latest version doesn't load...

Could you please clarify whether you're talking about the webpage or the Stencyl file? I changed the online version from a raw SWF to a webpage this morning, and I had accidentally left two of my extensions enabled in the Stencyl file (I've fixed that now).

Proud Member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

ErLuiSS

your work is amazing

Rhys

Glad to see this has been revived! Just a quick suggestion - something cool that I always wanted in the engine was the ability to lock the camera location to the kart, but I'm not sure how possible this is with the latest version of Stencyl. It sort of worked for this, but I didn't find a way to increase the render size: (press z for rotation lock mode)

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/10350

I also have a lot of cool music KungFuFurby worked on for Circyt, which I never actually got around to making. I'm never going to stop feeling remorse for letting him make so much music for me and never using it, so if you make any more example tracks just ask him and he'll probably give you the go-ahead to use it in the kit or something.

ETHproductions

Thanks, Rhys! I've always wanted to create something like this, but I'm sure I could have never done it this well without your original version. :)

The camera rotation looks really cool! I'd like to incorporate that into this version. I'm not sure there's a better way, although using the Image API would achieve the same effect. I guess an alternate way would be to rotate the entire track around the player, but that would be overly complex. How did you do it in your version?

Thanks for the music tip! I'll be sure to contact KungFuFurby, if I need it for the kit.

flavioarruda

Thanks, Rhys! I've always wanted to create something like this, but I'm sure I could have never done it this well without your original version. :)

The camera rotation looks really cool! I'd like to incorporate that into this version. I'm not sure there's a better way, although using the Image API would achieve the same effect. I guess an alternate way would be to rotate the entire track around the player, but that would be overly complex. How did you do it in your version?

Thanks for the music tip! I'll be sure to contact KungFuFurby, if I need it for the kit.

Hello, ETHproductions!

I am using Stencyl 3.4 (build9300)...

I downloaded your TOP DOWN RACING GAME (from old kit updated for you) but shoot projectile don't works from RaceCar Itens behavior, and Racing Position Sorter don't  works too!

Please! Help me!

flavioarruda

I have a little problem with lists in stencyl and with "racing position sorter behavior" from old Top Down Racing game... ETHProductions made uptade in 2014 (stencyl foum: Top Down Racing Kit, Stencyl 3.1) of this old race kit from 2011.

For some time already I'm using stecyl 3.4 build 9300 and this game (from 3.x version) didn't works fine, but I made my updates in it replacing "get item blocks" and "Upadate event" etc... because somethings changes since the last version (3.1).

However if I deactivate "racing posion sorter behavior" everything works fine except "position of car on the screen" apears "null_th", but without it the game don't display "victory ou gameover" the player can't win!
This way the game does not make sense!

Somebody  can  help me about it?

TypeError: Error #1009: Não é possível acessar uma propriedade ou um método de uma referência de objeto nula.
   at MethodInfo-7485()[Source/scripts/Design_80_80_RacingPositionSorter.hx:162]
   at com.stencyl::Engine/update()[C:/Program Files (x86)/Stencyl3/plaf/haxe/lib/stencyl/1,00/com/stencyl/Engine.hx:2415]
   at com.stencyl::Engine/postUpdate()[C:/Program Files (x86)/Stencyl3/plaf/haxe/lib/stencyl/1,00/com/stencyl/Engine.hx:2618]
   at com.stencyl::Engine/onUpdate()[C:/Program Files (x86)/Stencyl3/plaf/haxe/lib/stencyl/1,00/com/stencyl/Engine.hx:2594]

:'(

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 09:17:31 am by flavioarruda »

ETHproductions

Hey Flavio!

So I'd apparently kept a local copy of the game up-to-date with each version of Stencyl, without ever posting it here. You can download it here: it's a debug copy, but it should do for now. Could you let me know if you still have any problems with it?

I'll go through the original 3.1 file uploaded here and try to fix things one at a time, creating a real 3.4 copy of the 3.1 kit. (I believe I added and/or fixed gamepad support in the debug copy as well.) But Stencyl is taking forever to fix the fonts for some reason, and I don't have much time right now, which is why I'm uploading this first.

ETHproductions

Observations on what's changed from this demo to my local 3.4 copy:

- All audio has been removed. I think this was so I could test gamepad controls on Windows, since the .ogg files are not included. Many "play Sound" blocks are now missing their sound, although it doesn't seem to cause any errors.
- No other assets have been added or removed, though "Leaderboard Actor" has been moved into the "GUI" folder.
- Several blocks have been deprecated from 3.1 to 3.4; in the 3.4 version, a few of these have been replaced.
- The collision event in Finishline Function has had one very long, very repeated calculation stored in an attribute because no one should have to go through all that. (Also, the list of Lap Times is printed every 5 seconds)
- Same thing in the drawing event in Leaderboard Function. Also fixed a bug where the highlight didn't scroll with the list of times, resulting in the wrong time being highlighted sometimes.
- Gamepad support (with hardcoded controls) has been added to Racecar Functionality.
- A bug was fixed where AI sometimes get fixated on the wrong waypoint, trying endlessly to drive through a wall to get there.
- Karts now push away from each other when they collide. This was an attempt to fix the bug where, because the karts have practically infinite grip, you can get turned around in a split second by "hooking" the rear of your kart on the front of another. While this fix helps, it doesn't fix it entirely. Will need to look into a better solution.
- A lot of debug drawing from the player kart, especially when using a gamepad.
- None of the other Behaviors have been modified in any significant way.

This is about everything I could find. I'll work on figuring out the cause of the crash, then re-implement some of the changes mentioned here and post it.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 08:29:29 pm by ETHproductions »

ETHproductions

Fixed all those errors! It was just a bunch of "empty List" blocks hanging out where there should have been "set List to [create new list]". Can you test this out and see if you have any more issues?

I'll try to move forward with implementing the other changes over the weekend...

flavioarruda

Hello ETHProductions

:D  ... I'm very happy with reply, thanks a lot man!
I will test right now!!!

If you want e-mail me, I could send you back this stencyl file with some modifications (updates) in this Top Down Racing Kit (awesome kit).

See you later and thank you very much!

flavioarruda

Hi, ETHProductions!

Yesterday, I already created a joystick and add to level versus (before I already replaced old blocks from stencyl 3.1, all revised)... I tested it first in Flash after in Android 4.4.4 from my old smartphone Galaxy J1 , Top Down Racing Car kit works very fine in both! This kit is awesome!

I'm very happy!

Next weekend I'll to change all sprites for my own images wich has old VW beatle and tilesets like grass... roads etc... without your support this project could be impossible! Thank you very much!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:02:48 pm by flavioarruda »