Super Console Kid

HelloComics

Dragged into the digital world of video games.
A kid must fight his way through waves of enemies
with his powered sneakers.

I'm working on single screen scenes with enemy waves, similar to Curses 'N Chaos, but would like to expand the game with more traditional platform levels in the future. The game has similarities with Downwell and an unusual control scheme similar to Flappy Bird, as weird as that sounds :) Note that, even though I'm inspired by those games, they didn't exist when I started this project so I strive to make Super Console Kid it's own original game.

Latest GIFs

Title screen

Jump on enemies. Try not to touch the ground

Weapon power ups

Craft your powered sneakers

Development Videos

I make video diaries to document the game's progress.
Here's the latest entry:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QuJaUAoCWkY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QuJaUAoCWkY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Previous video diaries:
Super Console Kid - Indie Game Development #8
Super Console Kid - Indie Game Development #7
Super Console Kid - Indie Game Development #6
Super Console Kid - Indie Game Development #5
Super Console Kid - Indie Game Development #4
Super Console Kid - Indie Game Development #3
Super Console Kid - Indie Game Development #2
Super Console Kid - Indie Game Development #1

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 03:39:23 pm by HelloComics »

Photon

Hey, that was actually pretty cool! And those smooth transitions and animations in your game... so fine. It looks mighty sharp so far. 8)

Are you going to have mock Mario/Sonic/etc. levels in your game (I noticed the different costumes in your signature,) or are you going to "spin-off" games (ex: Mega Martin Brothers or whatever?) Personally, I'd be concerned with using the video game IPs directly for copyright and legal reasons. On the other hand, I think using made-up parody games would actually give the game more character.

Thanks for posting this. Keep it up!
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

HelloComics

Thanks!

Super Console Kid will be it's own original game. I take inspiration from Super Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog and many other of my favourite games, so I would like to take those same elements and present my take on the genre. I did the costumes because I thought it would look super cool on the character, but they will not appear in the final game, at least not in the same form.

ceosol

That was a really cool video. I like how the game adds a flappy bird aspect to an infinite runner. Since you had run a kickstarter before, do you have any advice or can you tell us what you learned from it?

Innes

It's a very nice presentation, showing both the game and the ideas behind it. Of course, you also mentioned that you are using Stencyl (awesome)! Very nice graphics and sound in the game too.

I also liked the Flappy Bird 'tribute' level. It's nice to see something that alludes to another genre, without being a plain rip-off.

Good luck with the development and release of the game.
Visit www.TheStencylBook.com - the only published book for learning Stencyl.

Bombini

I also realy like the level of polish. The games look very smooth.
This is something a lot of us tend to forget. Spending a lot time to get the core action right.
I especially like the interface :)

HelloComics

Thanks for the kind comments, guys!

I spent a lot of time on the core  mechanics, and then concentrated on what I call the "flow" of the game, just opening menus and transitioning from one screen to another. I think these are very important to the overall experience. Now I can't wait to work on the levels and assets.

Of course I mentioned Stencyl and will show more of it on later videos. It's an awesome piece of software and it's really helping me make this game come to life.

Regarding the Kickstarter I would say that it no longer works to just put it out there. I think it's best to show off your game and gather some interest way before you decide to start your Kickstarter project.

bambucha

I love the menu animations! Everything looks so smooth and is just asking to be pressed :P
The video is really well made aswell. Keep up the good work!
Check out my games:
Highway Dodger    Highway Dodger 2     Dev Blog (in the making)

PhaserRave

I like the art and sound effects.
"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer." -Zaphod Beeblebrox

HelloComics

Hello, guys

I've just uploaded a new video diary with the latest updates on the game:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hb2p3DXYLAA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hb2p3DXYLAA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

ceosol

Another great video.

Personally, I like duck-jumping in platformers. It is not realistic, but then again neither is jumping 5 times your own height :)

I really like the gameboy look to the game. Even though it is more focused on the storyline, I think it adds a lot to the game-feel.

HelloComics

Thank you, ceosol.

I also think duck jumping is cool in games like Super Mario. In the case of this game, when you crouch, a small force is applied on the x-axis and the friction of your character increases at the same time to slow you down. This feels really good, but if you jump there's no friction with the ground to slow you down and it feels and looks weird, so that's why I decided to fix it.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:33:21 am by HelloComics »

HelloComics

New video! Third video diary with the latest updates on the game:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oCMCiDIhjZE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oCMCiDIhjZE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

ceosol

Another great video. That music sounds fantastic. Although, I would think that a cloud level would have a more airy sound to it. To me that sounds more like a falling from the sky or needing to be quick (i.e. jumping over lava or something).