Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Introducing Hollow Knight

twotimingpete

I LOVE IT!!!

Thanks man! Seeing what you were able to do with Ghost Song in Stencyl was a big inspiration!

welcome to master status. :) cheers!

Benk10

The visuals are about all there is to see right now, but they are great! Are you guys artists?

Raiyumi

Awesome! It's always nice to see another top notch game coming to light.

wilbo

The visuals are about all there is to see right now, but they are great! Are you guys artists?

Ari is an artist, a professional animator in fact. I'm just working on the design/code side of it, but sometimes I scribble a character design and Ari brings it to life for me hahaha.

twotimingpete

fun trivia, ari also did the adam sprites in ghost song.

MadManAdam

Looking excellent!

Tryzna

Looks "pro", it reminded me old czech cartoons for kids. Looking forward to play this thing!

wilbo

Hey all!

So we recently introduced our current Stencyl project Hollow Knight here: http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,36539.0.html

We've been hard at work on it for a few months now, but to continue we need some support, so we've set up a Kickstarter!

The Kickstarter includes an awesome new trailer, check it out!

We really want to bring this game to fruition, and have been working like crazy on it for a few months though. To keep working on it though, we need some some support. So come and check it out, watch our trailer, take a look at all of the screenshots, illustrations and info we have on the game. If you want to get involved and help us out, you can pledge, tweet, share, all that sort of thing! Ask away if you guys have any questions!

Max Finch

This is gorgeous! Keep at it! Can't wait :)

letmethink

Hey there, this kickstarter looks pretty awesome
 I was wondering what sort of press you have tried to get because it doesn't seem like much. A Google search for hollow knight reveals the kickstarter and nothing else.

Also, the link you have put there links to the backers page of the kickstarter; not sire if that was intentional
~Letmethink

Alexin

The new trailer and Kickstarter campaign have definitely convinced me. I enjoy the atmosphere, the music, the artwork and the effort put into this.

Personally, I'm a bit disappointed the game is estimated to be released in June 2015, because games with that kind of atmosphere have had more impact during the cold winter days. It's that time of the year I enjoy the most playing games like this one. Oh well.

Backed.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

gianmichele

This looks like a really nice  project, I'm backing it!

On the Stencyl side, can you tell us a bit more about how you used it? Tricks learned and limitations found along the way so far? How are you organizing such a big project for example?

Thanks!

gianmichele

Backed!

Good luck guys, game looks awesome!

wilbo

This looks like a really nice  project, I'm backing it!

On the Stencyl side, can you tell us a bit more about how you used it? Tricks learned and limitations found along the way so far? How are you organizing such a big project for example?

Thanks!

Thanks heaps!

As for how we used Stencyl, I suppose the way we use it for Hollow Knight isn't fundamentally different from the way you use it for smaller projects. It was originally going to be a much smaller project, but as we worked on it we saw potential and began to expand it. One thing we do a little differently is that we  only have a single tile, a black square, that we use to build the terrain. All of the other bits of terrain (eg rocky ground, lamp posts, crumbling ruins) are actors set to minimal. This allows a lot more freedom when constructing scenes, resulting in a much more organic look.

One limitation of Stencyl is that it's hard to have more than one person working on it at a time. When one person is just doing art and one is coding it's not an issue, but if you both need access to the Stencyl file then things get awkward pretty quickly. For instance, trying to have one person build enemy actors and then have those actors into Stencyl often results in duplicated behaviours, because any behaviours on the actor being imported are copied over rather than just replaced with the same behaviour already existing in the destination file. On a project this size, it isn't too much hassle, but I can see it being a headache if you wanted multiple dedicated coders working at once.

Transferring scenes is also impossible through the Stencyl interface - we tried looking at some alternatives (eg. copying the scene files over manually and updating the scenes.xml ourselves) but these were all cumbersome and also had the potential to corrupt files.  I've also had a fair few hiccups with the Windows compiler, but for some reason that seems to be a problem only my machine has. Maybe a Windows 8 thing?

Those limitations aside, working in Stencyl has been fantastic. Ideas come together really easily and the tools are all intuitive. We definitely couldn't have come so far in such a short amount of time without it. And like I said, there was no trick to getting this all working - the game is being built the same way as any other project, just more actors/scenes/behaviours etc.

Bombini

Transferring scenes is also impossible through the Stencyl interface

This would be awesome if possible! I totally agree