Metroid Generator: Hectate's adventures in PCG (offline)

Hectate

Currently working on this again; you may have noticed updates in the game if you happened to check it out recently.

Also, live on Twitch if you want to watch!

www.twitch.tv/hectate
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

SadiQ

If you keep streaming more of the IRC chat instead of the actual coding process it will take you quite some time to finish it :)
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

KylePreston

I really love this concept. Every day, I feel further & further down the rabbit hole that is level design and seeing your progress mapped out gives my sanity some future hope.  :D
I am an Ambient/Textural/Cinematic composer. Sometimes, for giggles, I write 8 bit music.
Site | Discography | Royalty Free Music

Hectate

Haha, thanks Kyle :)

If you haven't actually been watching or checking anything out, feel free to try it now. Exits are properly showing the connections between rooms. Don't forget, try a few generations by pressing Enter.

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/28798

edit: And sometimes it just looks great. Note that this is with twice as many rooms (40) than what's in the currently uploaded version (20).

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 04:44:39 pm by Hectate »
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Hectate

Aaand I'm done for the night! Thanks for watching and checking this out ;)
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

Hectate

Live on Twitch again!

Today's target; adding more "branches" to the main trunk.

Edit: Ok, back offline :)

Got some serious work done, got a good path for the future. Thanks for checking it out!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:09:15 pm by Hectate »
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

Hectate

If you've been following this at all there's a small update. I've gotten my branching code started on making the first rooms of each branch; it's available for previewing at the usual link. It's a little glitchy at the moment so don't worry if you see oddities. Either way, it's starting to increase the map density which is a good move.

The method I'm using initiates individual "diggers" that go out on their own from a starting room and make chains of rooms until they run into something else or die. So there's a lot more going on than just adding a few extra rooms to the existing group and that'll make it easier to extend later to longer branches.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

Bombini

Very cool Mister Hectate!"

Hectate

Spent some time working on this; working out some kinks, etc. Feel free to check it out.

If you can't tell, it's time to modify the code to honor the boundaries of the map, among other things...
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

torcado194

ooh this is a cool project! Looks a lot like what i did for my last LD game, Dot Dungeon, though i used muti-dimensioned rooms.
room generation is very interesting, and also very difficult having no prior knowledge of algorithms or anything :D