Mr Tart 1.2 available on iOS and Mac. Version 1.1 for Android!

Max Finch

Get Mr Tart for Mac OSX!
Available FREE!

DOWNLOAD FOR MAC

==========
Mr Tart returns! With a twist, Play as Mr Tart or his friends while you jump and dodge over spikes to ultimately avoid the toaster and more importantly, my mouth...

=========
This was a fun game to make, I genuinely enjoyed working on it. This will probably, most likely, for sure be my last "Pick up and Play" game for mobile. I want to dip into something new, and a bit more challenging. Which is always fun!

=========

UPDATES

Version 1.2

NEW FRIENDS

Mr Tart has made some new friends!

-Classy Tart: Like a sir

-Mrs Tart: Secret admirer

-Zombie Tart: Back from the dead

NEW ACHIEVEMENTS

3 new achievements come along with Mr Tart’s new friends!

SHARE YOUR SCORES

You can now share your scores to Twitter, Facebook, iMessage, and E-Mail! #MrTart

IPAD OPTIMIZED!

I recently purchased an iPad Mini and saw how bad Mr Tart was on iPad :( ((
I'm more than happy to say that this has been fixed! Sorry!

On the bright side Mr Tart is a blast to play on iPad now :)

BUG FIXES

Mr Tart had a few problems that have been fixed :D
Things like unlocking Blueberry Tart should not be as difficult

OPTIMIZATIONS

Just some general under the hood stuff.
New icon
New Screenshots

Version 1.1.2

Updated to support 64 Bit.

(Discontinued Android support)

Version 1.1.1

Fixed small bug where player couldn't unlock Blueberry Tart

Version 1.1

Version 1.1 is out for Android! (And coming very soon to iOS). Actually it's been out for quite some time for Android but due to the very long Apple review times lately it's been sitting in review for about 13 days as of this post (Jan 13th, 2015) so I tried waiting until Apple reviewed but it's taking way too long. So here's this.

Here are the following update notes.

-Performance has been increased
-Now playable on slightly older Android devices and iOS devices running iOS 6+
-Lots of bugs were fixed
-Two new achievements for iOS and Android
-Two new Tarts, Blueberry Tart and Flappy Tart.
-Enhanced the character select

As soon as Apple reviews Mr Tart I'll post back here again. I need someone with an iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4, or an older iPad (iPad 2) to make sure gameplay is playable.

There's a more detailed post farther down the next thread.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 10:10:54 am by Max Glockling »

madscs

Hey man! I like your game it has some really cool animations and I personally enjoy the physics part of it a lot. :)

I did find an issue that I wanted to point out - seems to me like you have a problem in your jumping though. It won't let me jump the first time I tap the screen but from the second on it works fine. I experienced a similar problem with that in one of my games and I think I managed to work around it by creating an invisible actor type with the size of the screen instead of using regions for when you tap the screen (in case the regions is what is causing the problem)
(Using the android version here btw)

I hope it helped and that it works out well for you! Cheers!  8)

Max Finch

(Using the android version here btw)

Dammit, this is a problem. I knew about this after I downloaded it on my Nexus 7 but I thought it was just my super laggy device. But nope, looks like you confirmed it was a bug. This is an Android only issue which happened after I tried to find a workaround to make the ads not start the game if you click them. Seems like it caused the problem :( I'll have to fix that asap. Thanks!

Vectrex71

I LOVE IT !!! Simple rules , nice graphics, funny sounds, brilliant !!!!

Max Finch

I LOVE IT !!! Simple rules , nice graphics, funny sounds, brilliant !!!!

Thanks man :D A lot more work was put into it than was originally planned, but I'm so happy with how it turned out. It has quite a randomness to it that when all buttoned up works and I'm happy with that result. Thanks for playing!

henson802

Nice graphics / style - tight simple gameplay - well done.

My only nit-pick would be to outline the clouds as they are kind of hard to see/blend in too much with BG.

Overall really well made as always =}

Max Finch

Thanks, I wasn't to keen on making the clouds stand out too much as I felt they'd be a distraction. They're there as a sort of background movement.

henson802

Thanks, I wasn't to keen on making the clouds stand out too much as I felt they'd be a distraction. They're there as a sort of background movement.

I understand - it's not that I don't see them as much - my eyes still recognize them but it's like they are blurred in with BG - just nit picking and take it as feedback and nothing more!

Good luck with the game , hope it takes off

letmethink

I can't help getting the feeling it shouldn't be 18mb
~Letmethink

Max Finch

It's 18mb because it contains some large files for the high res iPad and iPhone. It also has sprites for things that you can change or change randomly. For example there's 5 different poptarts each with 5 animations you can unlock so far some of those animations contain as much as 70 frames. The game was actually about ~30 MB's but I used a Mac app called "ImageOptim" which optimized all my images and brought the size of the game down significantly. This game is simple on the outside but very complex on the inside. I've found that the more randomness you add to the game the larger and more complex it gets.

henson802

You mention sprites, do you use Spritesheets or does Stencyl support such?

Max Finch

When you import your graphics Stencyl creates a spritesheet for that animation. You can import spritesheets but I find that stencyl is a little picky about them, so I just let stencyl create the sprite sheet. Attached is a spritesheet of the game that stencyl generated feel free to take a look :)

Max Finch

Just updated the Android version to fix that jump thing that was happening. The game now runs as it should :D

The update should be available in the next few hours.

henson802

When you import your graphics Stencyl creates a spritesheet for that animation. You can import spritesheets but I find that stencyl is a little picky about them, so I just let stencyl create the sprite sheet. Attached is a spritesheet of the game that stencyl generated feel free to take a look :)

Ahhh I see - be interesting to see how Stencyl's spritesheet method compares to other spritesheets.. maybe not big of a difference. 

A universal app definitely creates a lot of memory because of the different image size setups.  I spent awhile programming with LUA and managed to only have 2 sets of images for universal- discarding anything below retina as I think the older devices that don't support retina are slowly going to the wayside , especially people who use their phones for Apps / games.

Anyways - like the animations , worth the extra memory!  Helps bring life to a game imo

Max Finch

Thanks :) Do you know if apple allows you to remove the 1x graphics? Because that would save a Meg or two.