Bolt Collector (Working title)

WayneAdams

This was built in two days as a demo at a monthly software group meeting here in my city.

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/29153

Thanks!

xcmn

I like it! I have a suggestion. The bolts interrupt the robot's momentum when he contacts them.  He will pass through them unimpeded when you set the bolts' collision as a sensor.

WayneAdams

Thank you.

I'll do that.

WayneAdams

I've added new features and levels and I guess I can call this officially a demo now. Hit the link at the top.

Feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

xcmn

I've enjoyed playing through a second time. Here are some suggestions:

The death reload scene is too abrupt. Add a transition of some sort or give the robot a death animation like the enemies have. The large size of your scenes would make panning the camera back to the starting point a good type of transition to use.

The enemies can still kill you if you run into their zapped out of existence animation. This added some challenge but doesn't seem intentional.

Starting over at level one when you run out of bots is frustrating. Instead, reload the current scene so that all bolts and enemies are back in their starting positions.

It would be more informative to the player if the bolt counter started at a set number and was decremented so that we know how many bolts are still out there.

I recognize that this is a demo of sorts. You'll have to judge whether what I have to say in this next part is worth the extra effort or not. The trip back to the teleporter is dreadfully boring. Some sort of "make it back to the teleporter" phase of the game feels necessary. This would mean the player doesn't just mindlessly pick up the last bolt and head to the teleporter. He mentally prepares himself for what he is about to trigger. It makes for a more memorable gaming experience. Some options I can think of are:

-A new wave of enemies.
-Previously inert security traps such as lasers come into play.
-The lights go out. Light up robot with a spotlight. Leave the teleporter lit, like a beacon in the dark.
-A timed race back to the teleporter. Maybe a gate shuts on you if don't make it in time and you have to fight a horde of enemies to unlock it.
-Upon collecting all the bolts, the robot's jet-pack initiates and he is able to fly back to the teleporter. This introduces a new game mechanic and makes the trip back a fresh experience.

My final suggestion is to enable the arrow keys as an alternative method of movement. In your movement code you can add an "or" statement to the keys that you define. If "w" or "up" is pressed, etc. Thank you for making this game and for hearing my suggestions!

letmethink

My final suggestion is to enable the arrow keys as an alternative method of movement. In your movement code you can add an "or" statement to the keys that you define. If "w" or "up" is pressed, etc. Thank you for making this game and for hearing my suggestions!

I want to offer an alternative solution to this. If you go into controls, you can add more than one key for each action. Add the arrow keys to the controls with wasd
~Letmethink

WayneAdams

Thanks a lot for that feedback.. I plan to add gamepad support as well.

I will add additional control options.  xcmn, your other ideas for gameplay are really cool.. I will definitely include them in my notes.

:)

WayneAdams

To do before 2015: :)

WayneAdams

I figure if I continue to work on a game I should stop posting in the finished game thread.

If you aren't savvy on my project:
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/29153

Todays fixes:
Reverse bolt counter to work downwards
Add player death anim to prevent abrupt level restart on death.
Don't kill the player for colliding with enemy death anims
Add alternate controls

WayneAdams

moving to the game journal thread, mods can lock this one if they need to.

http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,37668.0.html

captaincomic

(I'll merge them instead ;) edit: moved to Game Journals)

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 10:06:15 am by captaincomic »

letmethink

(You may have merged to the wrong topic - should be in game journals. edit: done)

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 01:36:47 pm by letmethink »
~Letmethink

WayneAdams

Hey y'all.. is there a reason the speed setting in "Follow Target" doesn't actually change? Seems like it's always a specific speed.. even if I put 0 in..

I have turned easing on and off.. is there a better solution? I want something to give chase to the player.

WayneAdams

Nevermind figured that out..

Here's today changes (Just level 1).. and an additional danger after you get the last bolt.. be prepared. ;)

http://www.wayneadams.net/stuffola/STENCYL_DEV/BOLT_COLLECTOR_12_29_2014(1).swf

Enjoy!

xcmn

Very nice, Wayne. Do you make all of your own graphics?